Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEWSFLASH. No SCCA cars allowed at SCCA race

Default NEWSFLASH. No SCCA cars allowed at SCCA race

edited as to not piss off john rw or tyson who?

[This message has been edited by 7'sRracing (edited December 12, 2003).]

Daryl, I heard through the grape vine that they don't allow SCCA racers because they use $24 brake discs.

Get em
    David

Interesting approach... Have you spoken with anyone at SCCA regarding your frustration? I do understand how upset I would be in your situtation. I would definately recommend -talking - to headquarters or the region that runs the hill climb. Best of luck!

Diane, Ms. Rally - do you or Tim have any info. on this? I am curious...

yes i just got off the phone with topeka, they said they will allow me to go up the hill in group 5, its not good but its better than not going up at all.

Open Class
    This very broad class that allows for a tremendous amount of technical innovation. As with all SCCA specification performance rally classes, the cars must retain their production based appearance, but under-the-hood, virtually anything goes, and all-wheel-drive is absolutely essential.

Group 5
    A two-wheel drive version of the Open class described above, following most of that classes rules. A uniquely American formula, engine displacement is limited to 5.1 litres, with supercharging and turbocharging allowed.

You can be as PO'd as you want but Pikes Peak has only recently become an SCCA sanctioned event and even at that, only rallying. And at THAT, not all classes. I don't think the "club" has any real control over what classes are run at the hill - and frankly, the fact that you can run Gr5 is actually pretty fortunate.

It used to be a hell of a lot worse. When we were rallying (this would have been early '90s), we were told that we had to send a letter of interest and, if we were deemed worthy, we would receive an invitation to submit an entry. THAT would then be accepted - or NOT - based primarily on the type of car that we wanted to run and the notoriety of the driver. When we explained that we wanted to run a 2wd NA Volkswagen in the "Rally" class, we were told that we could pretty much save the postage: No chance.

Kirk

You should have told them your racing with a 12 ft condom stretched over your rabbit, hows that for notoriety. One more hitch, I have to compete AND finish in 2 club rally's between now and june to qualify for a pro licence to run at the PP pro-rally event. I might as well figure on 05 for pp and go prepared with a 302 cid in my RX, I have one sitting in the corner that needs a refresh begging me to stuff it in something. ill have to run my ITA car in those club rallys in gr5 (ugg) to get qualified, poor little car will get thrashed.

Originally posted by gran racing:
    Diane, Ms. Rally - do you or Tim have any info. on this? I am curious...
    I don't.... I thought the recent issue of GRM mentioned the high amount of SCCA cars at that event.... May want to check out the Special Stague forums or a regional website near Pikes Peak?

I did think the newer class was a specific rally class but I haven't seen a 2004 rally schedule yet.

Diane

Daryl,

I don't want to burst your bubble. I crew/service for a second gen rx7 rally car. Their rules are different enough to not permit many cross over cars. Specifically the cage rules. Like, extra required tubes through the firewall, along the door sill, tieing into the center tunnel behind the driver/co-driver and welding the cage to the A-pillar.

www.specialstage.com
    www.4seventeen.com

you might find that you are actually supposed to be in group2. Many perf-rallies combine gr2 and gr5. Group two is basically an anything goes on the motor 2wd only. We have a 400+HP volvo in our class and a Ford Ranger truck with a 302/351 that flat flies. IIRC, at the Gorman rally he finished somewhere between the factory pro Evo and WRXSti teams.

Why don't you run that CRF instead?

Hi Daryl, group 2 is 2.4 ltr max, and rotarys are displacement x 1.8 which puts me in group 5. the car im almost done with has all you mentioned +, it has nascar bars on both sides and is built like a brick sh-thouse, I have a rulebook coming from topeka already. this car I am building for regional EP racing, I have three cars in the works, this two seater, a lighter version of it for national EP races and another one that just looks like its safe for next years runoffs. the runoff car is 1 1/2" .095 with the bare minimum allowable tubing, I wont run that car on the track with GT1, AS and super production cars cause if one of those 3000 pound monsters hit a 7 like that one it'll fold up like a chinese fan. talked to my co-driver about the V8 in the built 7 and he's game, ill just wait for the group 5 rules and take it from there. Oh yea, im going to be at cal speedway with my ITA car in feb, will you be there?

[This message has been edited by 7'sRracing (edited December 11, 2003).]

Daryl--I don't understand your beef. SCCA's involvement is both as a sanction body and to permit a group of its members (RALLY; NOT RACE) to run the event.

The hill climb is not a National, Pro or Regional race; it does qualify as a rally event.

You could rent a rally car, but I think you would need a rally license.

You might call George Hausner at Loree Motorsports in Albuquerque. IIRC, he was the head of Tech at last year's PPHC.

He would be the only one I know who might be able to tell you what the rules realy are.

Ty

Daryl,

The more I think about it the more I realize that the PP rules are probably different than normal Perf/Pro Rally rules.

You've got to have windows. If you replace glass with lexan they have to be the same thickness. You have to have current registration and insurance (checked at registration). The fact that PP doesn't have any transits would exclude the need for registered vehicles. Which probably means that you don't have to have working lights, turn signals, etc. All those wicked open wheel jobs, and made for PP only, leads me to believe that many of the PP classes have rules that are probably unique to PP.

Have fun!!

I looked into this race back when we ran Mt Washington... thought it would be cool to run that event as well as it was always a debate as to wich hill was harder....

The issue that we had was our car was to old... I think they would only allow us to run in the open class, but even then you had to prove that you could be a challenger otherwise they just assume you stay home and save room for "the big dogs"...

Unfortunatly in the motorsports world pro events are supported by manufacturers and high-end tunners that don't want old cars winning, money is to be made with newer cars so old cars are generally either not allowed or some how (on or off track) weeded out.

Good luck.

Raymond

------------------

RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com
    1st and 2nd 2003 ITB NARRC Championship
    1st and 6th 2003 ITB NERRC Championship
    3rd 2003 ITB ARRC Sprint Race
    4th 2003 ITB ARRC Endoro
    1st 2003 AS NERRC and NARRC Championships

Wow.

Originally posted by 7'sRracing:
    I have a rulebook coming from topeka already.
    and

One more hitch, I have to compete AND finish in 2 club rally's between now and june to qualify for a pro licence to run at the PP pro-rally event.
    So...let's get this right -

You want to run in an Pro event that you DON'T have a license for, and have never taken any steps toward getting a license for.

You don't own a rulebook for car prep for the organization that is now sanctioning a some of the event, which even the most myopic among us know is COMPLETELY different from a road racing rulebook. Somewhere around here I've got a Pro Rally Scrutineering license, and I'd say you're in for a bit of a surprise. Make other plans for the 4th in 2004.

That event has been running for over 80 years, but it's somehow the fault of an organization that participated last year for the VERY FIRST TIME, with just a single group of competition vehicles (Pro Rally).

"I for years have planned on running Pikes Peak Hillclimb..." you wrote, but somehow you managed to overlook the fact that there has ALWAYS been a limited entry for this event, as it's all on one day and there are only so many competitors that can be accomodated.

Cannon fodder. Your frustrations are misplaced. Go look in a mirror, and you will see the root cause of your frustrations.

While the SCCA is far from perfect, I'm getting tired of the organization getting kicked and pummeled for not being able to fulfill every dreamer's dreams, regardless of how wild they are.

You are laughably off-base here.

Just a little harsh eh JohnRW?

It's supposed to be a festive season.

Harsh...maybe. Direct...YES.

After reading the first paragraph (below) and especially the tantrum-laced, foot-stomping last sentence, I just sat here with my jaw agape and wondered if Daryl's head was going to spin around, too.

It's the silliest thing I've read here since MattBerg stopped posting at IT.com.

[quote]Originally posted by 7'sRracing:
    I for years have planned on running Pikes Peak Hillclimb and this year was going to be it, I built a new EP car especially with this in mind, just now I went to your website to enter this years race and to my horror my club (SCCA) no longer accepts its own race cars in its races, I can race a SEMI TRUCK or a WINSTON CUP CAR or a MOTORCYCLE, even a QUAD, I can race a WINGED MINI SPRINT CAR, OR MY WIFES SUV, BUT NO FRIGGIN 85 E PRODUCTION RX7, WHAT THE HECKS THE MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE…… Are my dues going to you selling out our races to anyone or any thing except your own club racers. Im going Big with this one, it will be on every SCCA club based web site in the country in 2 hours, Im appalled and I want this fixed now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the the BOD, the staff in Topeka, Divisional and Regional volunteers have to read crap like this every day, it's no wonder that they have tin ears to some real concerns. I would guess that their "delete" keys are working overtime on this issue.

Im with John here. You are totally offbase and the way you have presented your letter to the SCCA and even US is insulting and very immature. quite frankly, you have a history of bitching out of line. (for example, whining about not being able to run YOUR number #77 because the biggest supporter of our SF region rental program has already reserved it for the season, while you have yet to even finish your novice permit.) and you need to check yourself.

Go ahead and insult away, typical response, tyson I dont even know you, I raced up in SFR four times this year and you wernt there, as for my bitching about numbers..... the run group had 60 to 79 friggin cars in it and one guy reserved 20 numbers, G.F.Y...
    better yet, heres a pic of me sitting in my ITA car,
    http://www.calclub.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=102&password=&sort=1&size= medium&cat=500&page=://http://www.calclub.com/gallery/show...m&cat=500&page=
    come look me up at the next race at laguna and tell me what you think of me to my face. Im not going anywhere tyson, Im a permenant fixture in SFR at this point with 4 race cars in three classes, a teamate this year and a son starting in 05, I have made many, many friends in SFR and CSCC. think hard about your next comment.

John RW, I can understand your perception of my post and letter, yes I was out of line and caught up in a red mist momment, I called topeka right after checking the website and as usual no human would respond, this angered me and the intial post followed. I will write back to SCCA with a apology and a revision of how some of us that would like to try rally racing and are surprised the two SCCA organizations arnt more user friendly and compatable for the purpose of gaining more cars in both venues.

[This message has been edited by 7'sRracing (edited December 12, 2003).]

I was going to email you daryl because this shit doesnt have to be made personal in front of public, but you dont have your email listed.

i can excuse ignorance that a international premiere professional rally event like Pikes Peak would have vastly different requirements and classes than a regional club road racing event. but the tone of your letter, and attempt to libel the SCCA comp board across as many public forums was simply in extremely in bad taste. i just hope you realize this.

as for being a "permanent fixture", im not sure what relevence your 4 race events this year has to do with your wanting to be allowed entry into Pikes Peak. if you are trying to compare yourself to me, its rather public knowledge on the N/S pacific forum that I was rather involved (racing and flagging) in the 2002 season until I crashed my car at the end of the season and also have been jobless at about the same time, so I have not had the means to afford racing. However even though you havent seen me at the track this year, aside from being out of the country for 4 months teaching kids English in China, I have been active in several events this year volunteering my time working Flagging and Communications so that guys like you can have fun racing safely. But again, im not sure what this has to do with this thread.

I dont want to make this personal Daryl. You have presented yourself and your thoughts publicly, open to public comments. Hopefully I'll get a job that keeps me in the SF region, and we can simply race.

oh yeah, and feel free to email me at [email protected]. but im on my way out for the weekend and will be back sunday evening.