Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What cars would you add to ITS?

Yah know... there is something in the ITCS about the intent of IT including "affordable" cars... Some of these sound like things getting a little out of hand...

Sounds like everyone wants a class ABOVE ITS!!!

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    06 ITS RX-7
    FlatOut Motorsports
    New England Region
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

Originally posted by ITSRX7:
    Sounds like everyone wants a class ABOVE ITS!!!
    Andy,

Maybe that's the solution--a separate IT class (or subclass) for cars that begin life with a high stiker price.

If IT is intended as an entry-level class with limited prep, why exclude the guy with a worn out 911 or M3 who wants to go WTW with the SCCA guys? His only other options may be a far too expensive rebuild to keep the car on the street, or trading it in on a new one that will never see a track.

Perhaps changing ITE would help.

I think it would make for some great racing. What the heck, throw in a few Lamborghinis and Ferraris too.

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Originally posted by Banzai240:
    Yah know... there is something in the ITCS about the intent of IT including "affordable" cars... Some of these sound like things getting a little out of hand...

Actually Darin, it says "low-cost" and "inexpensive". I didn't see anything about "affordable". But I do find your comment interesting. Where is it that you draw the line?

Andy,

Why not add two classes? Bring back ITGT, and create IT2.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

Originally posted by Bill Miller:
    Where is it that you draw the line?
    That's a VERY good question... Another is IS it FAIR to draw a line? By doing so, you are essentially descriminating against those who have the money...

As with many areas of motorsports, the real trick is to have a set of rules that negate the benefit of spending a lot of money, which I imagine is a lot easier to say than to implement...

DJ

Originally posted by Banzai240:
    ...IS it FAIR to draw a line? By doing so, you are essentially descriminating against those who have the money...
    I believe the line should be drawn at "limited prep." That's what makes the IT concept so appealing.

A guy wakes up one morning, spots an extra set of wheel he can get is hands on and says, "I'm wanna go racing." Who cares whether it's a Yugo or a Lamborghini? That's what classes are for.

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Entire SCCA class structure (for closed wheel cars)!!!

Showroom Stock (SS) (no limit to years eligable)

Improved Touring (IT) (A little more prep than current)

Grand Touring (GT) (Full prepped cars)

All 3 levels would have more classes to encompase any car in the world from that Bugatti that does 251mph to a 1965 Auto Union 3cyl 2 stroke. Ok maybe not that incompasing but you get the point...

For example in IT:
    A class faster than ITS,
    then ITS,
    then a class slower than ITS but faster than ITA,
    Then ITA,
    Then ITB,
    Then ITC,
    and possibly ITD

ya this will happen when pigs fly to hell and freeze...

Raymond

We NEED to get our collective heads around the reality that rules cannot - indirectly - control costs. No way. Never. As long as there is someone with $50K to spend, he/she will find a way to spend it.

The ONLY way that costs can be controlled is to do it directly, with a claim rule - and that will NEVER fly in this organization. Even at that, testing, development, tires, and a dozen other things that make a difference can still be bought.

Further, money DOES buy competitiveness - no question.

With this understood, it's just possible that arguments about cost are proxies for other interests.

The cost of the donor car - at least in the realm that is being discussed here - is a relatively minor issue, once it is "fully prepared."

K

3.0 and 3.2 Carerra... yeah, that's be cool. Spank some serious 325 arse...
    Also, those cars can be bought for $13-$17K (10K for a rough future IT car). Bottom ends are good for 300K. parts (except engine) are cheap relatively speaking, rotors, calipers, tie rods, etc.

Seriously speaking
    DOHC nissan is cool as is the NA DOHC Supra. I also like the SVT contour..
    What about the 190HP 4 cylinder M3??
    or the 205hp-215 mustang/camaro years??

I wondered how long it would be before someone mentioned the SSB Mustang's and Camaro's....
    The V-8 cars no, as they can be put in AS, but the SSB V-6 cars have no place to go when their time is up in SSB...
    I think they could be fairly competitive in ITS...One V-6 Camaro was at the last race at Summit and was turning 1:31's in SSB trim, so take a couple seconds off for IT trim and that would put it right with the times the RX-7's, 944's and 240Z's are turning..still slower than the E-36's... but... who knows what they could do in IT trim.

I'd say the SSB Mustangs and Camaro's are probably the cheapest alternative compared to the rest of the cars so far that have been submitted. After all, isn't IT supposed to be where old SS cars go next?

[This message has been edited by 2Many Z's (edited November 19, 2003).]