Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What cars would you add to ITS?

Default What cars would you add to ITS?

Let's agree that ITS is getting faster. What cars would YOU include if a class popped up between ITS and ITA to filter the myriad of slower S cars out of a non-competitive environment?

I will start:

Current gen Celica GT-S (180hp)
    Mercury Cougar V6 FWD (200hp)
    Contour SVT (200hp)

What else would be cool/popular?

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    06 ITS RX-7
    FlatOut Motorsports
    New England Region
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

Originally posted by ITSRX7:
    Let's agree that ITS is getting faster. What cars would YOU include if a class popped up between ITS and ITA to filter the myriad of slower S cars out of a non-competitive environment?

I will start:

Current gen Celica GT-S (180hp)
    Mercury Cougar V6 FWD (200hp)
    Contour SVT (200hp)

What else would be cool/popular?

AB

Z32 NA 300ZX
    Most recent NA Supra
    E46 323i
    Porsche Boxter
    Porsche 911 - newer versions with larger engines

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

1989-1996 Nissan 300ZX - 222HP @ 6400RPM
    190lb/ft @ 4800RPM

[This message has been edited by Banzai240 (edited November 14, 2003).]

Honda S2000
    BMW Z3
    Altima V6
    3rd Gen NA RX-7
    VW V6 cars
    Honda V6 cars - ex: 1998 Accord 3.0L - 200HP
    Eagle Talon/Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

1990-1993 Audi Coupe Quattro 20V ~170hp (?)
    1996 Audi A4 Quattro 30V~175hp (?)

Just ideas from the Audi camp...

Raymond Blethen

Originally posted by Banzai240:

3rd Gen NA RX-7

If there WAS such a car...

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    06 ITS RX-7
    FlatOut Motorsports
    New England Region

'89-'96 300ZX, I could easily be swayed back to the Nissan camp if they put those in the class, all good ideas.

------------------
    Nick Leverone
    04 ITS Mazda Rx-7

OK Ray, you beat me to it but I will add the '90-'91 Audi 90 quattro 20V sedan.

------------------
    Nico
    KCRaceware (816) 257-7305
    [email protected]

Originally posted by ITSRX7:
    If there WAS such a car...
    AB
    OK, refresh my memory... Wasn't the '93-'9??? RX-7 available w/o turbo??? Were they ALL twin-screwed???

If so, then I stand corrected...

(Would look GOOD out there though!! )

[This message has been edited by Banzai240 (edited November 15, 2003).]

Darin, they were all TT cars. I've seen one in GT2, but that was w/ a NA 13B.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

I'll add a couple to the list

E36 M3
    944 S2
    '79 - '89 911 (3.0 and 3.2)
    Honda S2000
    Mercedes CLK/SLK

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

94-95 Acura GSR (i know its ITS already)
    97-01 Acura Type R

------------------
    Phil Phillips
    94 Acura Integra GSR #4
    ITS/H3/ST1
    www.philstireservice.com
    Amsoil Dealer
    distributor for FireCharger AFFF fire systems
    Hoosier Tire Dealer
    Toyo Tire Dealer

This is going to overlap into the general discussion about the class. All those are cool cars and I would enjoy racing one and watching them race. However, that is totally irrelevant to the question of whether they should be classed in ITS. ITS is getting faster and I am all for that as long as it represents evolutionary development of cars that are appropriate for the class. IT, including ITS, has always been intended as an "entry-level" class w/ limited prep. There are always going to be people who will spend inordinate amounts of money on their cars and that is fine too assuming that the rules maintain constraints that are "consistent with class philosophy." The open shock rule was put in place when $200 single adjustables were state of the art, and it should have been reeled in long before it got to the ridiculous extent it did. I did not blame people for putting $5000 worth of shocks on an IT car (and I don't blame anyone for running a high-dollar 325)- I blamed National for putting their avowed aversion to "rules creep" over adherence to the class philosophy. It was all the more frustrating to see them deny trivial things like jack plates, full interior gutting, etc. on grounds of inconsistency w/ class philosophy. GMAFB! Likewise, the 325s just should not have been classed in ITS when they were. IMHO no car that costs $10,000+ for a decent tub should be in ITS. Now that number is pretty arbitrary and would change as prices generally rise. ... Which brings me back on topic - if the cars that have been mentioned can be generally bought today for <$10,000 and there is a decent supply of junkyard and aftermarket parts, by all means, put them in. Wouldn't it be incredible to have a choice of a half dozen or more competitive cars? But some of them clearly do not meet those criteria. I think the fundamental question that must be answered is whether we want to change the class philosophy. I have been out for 2 years and am thinking of getting back in but I am concerned about the condition and direction of the class.

Anyone besides me worry that maybe the balance of power doesn't really need shifting any further upward? 3.2 911 vs. M3 sounds groovy but does faster necessarily = better racing? Will this get more new drivers on the track? How fast will those cars be on the banks at Lowes and is that a good idea?

EDIT - I'm also curious where the split gets made. Is it the Bimmers and a bunch of new contenders going up and all the rest remaining? There is a huge variation in type/performance currently in S.

K

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited November 15, 2003).]

Let me run my Boxster in ITS and it's goodbye Mazda and then go bust after the first problem with the Boxster. The Boxster would smoke anyting legal today. I say, keep the class money managed as much as possible. There's plenty of faster classes already for those who want to drop more $$. I'd prefer to see ITS remain fast, but not open it up to more major $$ invested by the drivers. Personally, I think the BMWs are fast, but the Mazdas still give a great threat for less $. Not so sure that all the talk of BMW dominance is warranted yet. (I may be whining to add weight to 'em next year! Plenty of BMWs got beat this year by Mazdas in the NE. Are they better cars? Heck - they're newer. I groove on ITS because it's fast and you don't go broke (not that my wife thinks that!)

Nick - I'd be on the 300ZX in a heartbeat. Unless the Boxster S was in - then I'd go German.

Cheers,

------------------
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITS RX7
    BigSpeed Racing
    NNJR

zracer22 Guest

Originally posted by Knestis:
    3.2 911 vs. M3 sounds groovy but does faster necessarily = better racing?
    This made some really great racing this season in GTS Challenge www.gtachallenge.com We saw some good racing between the two cars. As far as IT is concwerned, if PCA and BMWCCA drivers wanted to race in IT, we would see more of them in ITE, the fact is, they don't want to race in SCCA. (speaking only in general terms, some do race in SCCA IT)

Originally posted by zracer22:
    ....... if PCA and BMWCCA drivers wanted to race in IT, we would see more of them in ITE, the fact is, they don't want to race in SCCA. (speaking only in general terms, some do race in SCCA IT)

I agree that the average PCA guy likes the more genteel "racing" that is regulated in PCA racing. I just think it's too bad that one of the big marques in the sports car world has nothing in IT because every car classed is a huge, expensive uphill battle with little or no reward.

The problem with ITE is the no limits nature of the class. If you want to win in ITE, you better bring a phazer, a light saber and an Uzzi (sp?) to a gunfight. Why bother?

I must admit with some of these cars added to ITS it would be cool to watch. they would also make me very happy i am in ITA. if these high dollar cars were raced in ITS you know we would be calling the class IT Stupid, (g)
    dick

Hmm, guess we don't have it as good as some regions here in the DC Region.
    An E-36 has won every MARRS race at Summit Point for the last 3 seasons.The last race I can find in the results by a non-BMW is the Sept. 2000 race.
    The closest newly classed car that competes is an Acura Integra GSR that is now getting within 2 seconds of the dominating car/driver that has majority of the BMW wins.

There have been a few requests for the Z32 300ZX to be classed, with the usual "competition potential" reason given for it's not being classed. Guess someone needs to figure out how it can be dismissed when a car that was classed is dominating in many areas.

[This message has been edited by 2Many Z's (edited November 18, 2003).]

'84 - '91 Corvette, a la TCC Corvettes but to ITS prep specs - 3300+ lbs, 245 hp - the numbers aren't that far off....... of course something would have to be done about the maximum 7" wide wheels....

OK, maybe too much car for ITS, but what about the '84 Vettes? 205 hp throttle body injection.... hmmmm..... ITS?

------------------
    Richard Floyd
    '86 Acura Integra LS #90
    SCCA ITA / NASA ECHC H5