Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: spouses and racing

Having a significant other who is my Crew Chief has been an eye opener. She is really getting into this and is super supportive. Her only complaint is that it is boring for her between on-track sessions. I told her to do her thing (read meet other ladies, etc) and that worked well for her. She is always there if I need a hand be it at the track or at home. We balance the car against other activities together and on our own-she shops I mow grass<G>.
    As others here will attest-it is very important to know what your spouse or partner needs/wants. Mine does not want to drive yet. If she decides to that is fine with me-I'll support her in her effort.
    Happiness is a race car that does NOT consume you.

------------------
    Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
    '89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
    '99 Prelude=a sweet song
    '03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

no you got it ll wrong
    Happiness is
    COLD BEER
    A FAST CAR
    AND A WIFE THAT PUTS OUT
    not in that order or is it??????

rage-racing

by george, I think you got it !!!!

LOL! No, she's already driven my car a few times, and has in fact won in it! (autox, though)

------------------
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITA/GTS1
    www.vaughanscott.com

All of these sound very familiar. I started racing before I got married (told the future wife that was the plan). She understood how important a hobby racing is to me, so she supports that. After wrecking my first racecar, on the way home with the ball on the trailer she said "when are you going to get the next car and start building?"

Now it's a matter of balancing the family/house chores with the racecar chores. The racecar usually looses, but I do get my time in the garage when I need it. Gotta love a supportive wife/GF with your racing.

Jeremy

BTW, I love the "give me that sprocket thingy" comment!

[This message has been edited by 7racing (edited October 17, 2003).]

I'm pretty happy that I found a guy who loves racing also. We are both very competative. We both tease each other and try to push each other harder and harder.

I still think I'm faster. I'm the won who has the most seat time and technique training. In fact I was the one who got him all into road racing.

But thats how it is whith us.. We both love cars.. Fords in particular and we both love driving fast and working on our cars. I have 3 yrs training in Brakes and suspension and Smog inspection. It fun for us but racing is expensive.. I love to seeing more and more females get involved. I think racing isnt a male only thing anyways. I feel that everyone can get involved and have lots of fun at it.

So let her get the sprocket thingy and start wrenching. Thats how I got started, just helping out then I wanted to really learn what I was doing.

To all the ladies out there. Racing is a lot of fun and the more you get into it.. the more it gets into you. The guys need our help, their all thumbs on race day.. trust me I've seen it. I work grid and watch the guys struggling to get ready to go out on track..lol And there a lots of special momments that can be shared when a loving couple is at the track together.

Its great to have your significant other their to share in the JOYS of winning or give support in heart break of failing.

Peace and Love.
    Tooldes,
    Stacey_B

------------------
    Toodles,
    Stacey_B AOL IM: SCCAStaceyIB 1990PGL SCCA STSL "Girls Do It Better" Cal Club T&S, BWRP,WS,Lag,Hallett www.scpoc.com : www.probetalk.com Racing is my life. Winner One Lap of America 2003- SSGT2 class 1996 Ford Probe GT.

i starteg to get confused....

second wife first car second...wha??

if it comes down to it, ill just let my job (pilot) run my wife off (whenever i get one..wife that is) so the car dosent have to...whenever i get the car.

prolly gonna end up in buffalo soon, anyone there?

Gotta have the support of the spouse to race! Mine was actually bumming that she had to take care of our new baby in the paddock and not out at the pit wall.

She got her revenge... she turned my new roller-way tool chest into a changing table.

Anthony R.
    ITA #86 NER
    Honda CRX Si

Airpilot--Yes, there are racers in Buffalo. The region is 43 "Western New York".

There are 4 race tracks relatively close: the Glen (150 miles), Mosport (150 miles), Nelson Ledges (170 miles) and Beaverrun (172 miles).

Cheers.

Early on in my relationship with the "significant other," who now prefers to be known as "crew chief," I read her the standard $50.00 speach.

To wit - if I have $50.00 to spend,and it's a choice between her and the race car, and if there is any money left over we can go to White Castle.

It must have worked, because we just bought a garage, sorry, house, the woman pressed all the bushings into the suspension on the SM, and now tells me to "just buy the damned parts already - I'm tired of listening to you whine about them."

Sometimes you get lucky...

WB

The first few times I took my lady to the track I didn't give her things to do. She was bored and informed me that if I wanted her there I had better give her something to do. She has since become not only my crew chief, with assigned tasks, but also the trophy "babe" at the track. She loves SCCA at least as much as I do and encourages me to continue my hobby. BTW, we're now engaged! She understands the importance of our avocation to good mental health. Like we are sane in the first place!

------------------
    Auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are sports. The rest are just games.
    Hemingway.