Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spouses and racing

Default spouses and racing

well as I have been on the rampage of tearing down a car to build which is coming along quite well I might add..
    the down side was the Bit@#ing from my other half..well I sorta solved that problem today when I had her in the garage wrenching with me..(of course the statement you are just to afraid to get dirty went well her reply was give me that sprocket thingy and I will show you)I dont know but does that fall into the category if ya cant beat em join em?

Originally posted by rage_racing:
    well as I have been on the rampage of tearing down a car to build which is coming along quite well I might add..
    the down side was the Bit@#ing from my other half..well I sorta solved that problem today when I had her in the garage wrenching with me..(of course the statement you are just to afraid to get dirty went well her reply was give me that sprocket thingy and I will show you)I dont know but does that fall into the category if ya cant beat em join em?
    I dunno dude.....

Sounds me me like she intends to beat you.

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

A couple of other things to consider to get the significant other to "join ya." At the track my wife has some responsibilities. We have a prerace check list we go through. Its her job to "nag" the crew and I to finish everything on the list. There are some she is comfortable to do. There are other things she likes to do, so I let her have full control of those items at the track (e.g. timing, entertaining guests, keeping me organized and well fed). A few years ago I purchased radios to help me but more importantly, it put her mind at rest. Now, I can call and let her know of a problem if I don't come around when I'm suppose to. A lot better for her to know I've pulled in to gain track space than trying to figure out if I've been hauled to medical. If there is something that I can do or purchase to make her life more enjoyable at the track or on the way to the track, it is high on the must do list.

Best piece of advice that I got when I was thinking about going racing 15 yrs ago was "keep the spouse happy" whether this meant staying in nice places or keeping her high on your priority list. She too is crew chief and gets control of her office(the trailer) on race weekends. We are still married and Im still racing. I dont know how the guys whose wife is not involved in racing do it.

Rage, it's about prioritys.

1. Bride 1st, race car 2nd

2. Bride 1st, race car 2nd

3. Need I continue ?

Have Fun
    David

Hell ya, get em involved! Don't try and protect them from getting dirty - you'd be surprised how many women would be happy to learn how to change wheels, etc.! I gave every woman on my crew (3 of them) a pair of Mechanix gloves. They all know how to change wheels now! We had a fun time once when I had the all-women crew (including my dog, the real b*tch) and we were swapping back and forth between rain and dry setup...

------------------
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITA/GTS1
    www.vaughanscott.com

bride first car 2nd bride first car second bride first car second... I keep getting that mixed up ...
    mechanix gloves .. thats a thought.
    bride first car second bride first car second... eventually I will get it in the right order...
    maybe i can find a racers wife to entertain mine or would that just get me in more trouble??

Since I meet my wife at the race track, it's not a problem. She is an asst chief of communications, so when I'm racing, she's usually in the tower. I get to see her @ lunch, and at the end of the day. I also do "race official transportation" so I get to talk to all of my F&C buddies during the day as well. When I'm not racing, I'm usually out on a turn working F&C.

During the week, I normally try to spend no more than 1-1.5 hours a night in the garage. This way, I'm not "out there" until the wee hours of the morning, keeping her and the neighbors awake.

At least she knows where I am, and not sitting in front of this stupid computer, which I do the rest of the day.

------------------
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GP Wabbit (Bent)
    http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

As I tell our friends, if your girlfriend (substitute wife if appropriate) constantly protests the time you spend on your car, and flat out refuses to join in your antics, then you need a new one.

Since most of the guys that hang around the garage are younger than us and single, it seems appropriate. When you look at the number of divorced men racing, it makes even more sense.

Hobbies can be all-consuming, and are an important part of our lives, and unless you have an "understanding," your relationship can (and will) be the victim.

Lesley Albin
    Blazen Golden Retrievers (why I put up with Chris' racing)
    Over The Limit Racing

[This message has been edited by OTLimit (edited October 02, 2003).]

well since she has known me she has known that my hobbies do no stop because I am married and thats just a part of me you will have to live with.. and so far I still have my hobbies

John Herman-

Rather than spend beaucoup $$ on a 2 way radio system, I just got my wife a scanner for listening to the corner workers. That way if/when I don't come around she can hear their report as to "driver's OK, send flat tow after the session" or "send the ambulance quick!!"

Peter

Peter, better yet, have your wife on the F&C crew, so that when you see her @ lunch, she mentions the 3 deviations that you had, and you tell her, the last one @ turn x was only 3 wheels.

Tim

I dunno about the priorities.

Sometimes it goes like this...

Racecar - 20 page to do list.

Wife - Who are you and why are you yelling at me?

But I am on my 2nd marriage.

Tom
    (a divorce is alot in terms of tire money)

[This message has been edited by Tom Donnelly (edited October 07, 2003).]

rather than divorce there is always the option of the trunk .. (could that be considered ballast????)

Well there is a down side to having your other half getting involved. My wife simply tells me that "I don't care, I get the faster car." Now we are a two racecar family - 2 cars, twice the fun, five times the work.

Don't get me wrong, it is great, wouldn't have it any other way. The hazard is that there are fewer checks & balances when you are both into it. The last car that I bought I was hesitant to get it, but she told me that "we need that car, go get it!". Bringing that one home brought the total at the house to an even 12.

People thought were were crazy when we built our garage. The garage had more square footage on the first floor than the house did.

Get your other half "on board" or go find another hobby, racing is too demanding of time & money for a couple to disagree on it.

Matt Miskoe
    Domestic Violence Racing.

Been racing on and off for a lot of years. My deal with the wife is..... For every dollar I spend on the race car she can spend an equal amount on whatever she wants. Expensive but worth every penny.

Drive well.

I forgot to mention a different, innovative approach I stumbled across (and only realized last night)... I signed over the racecar title to my wife! Well, actually, I did it before, when we were engaged, so she could qualify for a multi-car insurance discount (therefore allowing her to justify the WRX purchase). Then I had to marry her to get the car back! (just go tback from the honeymoon, actually)

So now it's, "when are you gonna fix MY car?" "Why are you so slow in MY car?" "Why did you put MY car in the wall???" "What do you need to do to go faster in MY car?" etc!

I sometimes wonder if it was such a good idea...

------------------
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITA/GTS1
    www.vaughanscott.com

Originally posted by 924Guy:
    ..(just go tback from the honeymoon, actually)

So now it's, "when are you gonna fix MY car?" "Why are you so slow in MY car?" "Why did you put MY car in the wall???" "What do you need to do to go faster in MY car?" etc!

I sometimes wonder if it was such a good idea...
    Vaughan,

Married less than a month and already telling married-racer stories.

She sounds pretty supportive though, so hand her a wrench--or better yet, get her on the track.

------------------
    Gregg Baker
    Isaac, LLC
    [email protected]

from the sounds of it if he lets her behind the wheel he will never get the chance to get back in his car again ..

My mom and father always both raced as we were growing up, good thing was they never raced in the same class... My mom used to race a (old for its time) S2000 and always had faster lap times than my fathers ITA Capri... She still holds the family "Lap record" at Lime Rock (only sum minute times in family). She holds that over us every once in a while... All was well in the marriage till my father got in the S2000 and within 3 laps had beaten her lap times at Bryar (now NHIS). I think that was a turning point... However my mom rented out the S2000 and it was totaled by the person driving, she hasn't raced since then and I think that made her loose interest in racing... Now they are happily divorced and still talk. So I learned that keeping the wife happy might mean letting her drive a faster car for bragging rights!!!

My Girlfreind on the other hand has no interest in racing a car ever, but loves going to the track and hanging out with everyone. I am still determining what is more expensive... Her or racing... Either way I love both of them so it doesn't matter much as long as I keep racing and she is happy

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing