Thread: SEARCH function and email addresses

Default SEARCH function and email addresses

First of all, the SEARCH function of the board doesn't seem to be working. I can't even search for my own posts, let alone a topic that somebody else may have already started. Perhaps I have an incorrect setting?
    Second, how do we find out other people's email addresses? I thought part of the "agreement" to post on this forum was that your email address would be available to everyone, by looking in the profile.
    Thanks, Michael

I have checked my profile several times over the last few months, and I have all of the correct options checked to allow users to view my email address. However, it seems that no matter what I try, my profile will not list my email address. Am I doing something wrong?

------------------
    Chris Wire
    Team Wire Racing
    ITS Mazda RX7 #35

Put your E-Mail in your signature, like this.

------------------
    Corey L. Clough
    EX-1Gen, PRE-2Gen
    [email protected]

I was surprised to learn that most forum searches only check the TITLE of the post for the specified character string - not the body. I am not sure if this is the case with infopop but it might explain why the "feature" doesn't work as one might expect...

Kirk

I sent an email to [email protected] when I posted my original topic. He wrote back indicating the SEARCH function is working fine for him.
    Well I've done somemore SEARCHing, and I've found that I get "hits" for posts through 2001, but nothing for 2002. It's like there's another database that's being searched instead of a current one.
    As for email addresses, I guess putting it in your signature is the only way, besides outright asking for it.

Michael
    [email protected]
    EDIT: Kirk, I searched on "bushing". That should've returned at least a couple hits even if it only searched the topic.
    Am I really the only one having SEARCH problems?

[This message has been edited by handfulz28 (edited April 30, 2002).]

Dude - you are right. It sucks.
    Kirk

I agree that the search function is bad. I have not noticed the dataset that it appears to be using because I am always upset that I can not search all forums. Usually I need it when I need to find something and I can not remember where I read it. I think most of us read most groups, I just get confused sometimes and need a good search function to help.

Heh, heh, I dropped by this forum to see if I was using the search function correctly, and look what I found!

I remember reading a topic dealing with wheel studs in the Honda forum, and I did a search for it. Searched for "studs" and came up with two seemingly unrelated topics. I figured that the original topic must have had a funny name, but sure enough after sifting through only 3 pages of topics I found it...titled "Wheel studs."

I wish the search feature worked better, since I'm always looking for stuff that I KNOW people have posted before, and I hate to be redundant.

At least I'm not alone (or we're all doing the same thing wrong).

[This message has been edited by ITR#231 (edited June 02, 2002).]