Thread: I know it blows, but let's talk Joe Harlan

Default I know it blows, but let's talk Joe Harlan

I have posted around on the oregon region ITE forum (also blows due to inactivity) and have talked to you briefly regarding oregon region ITE rules concerning fender modification for tire clearance. I need to get some sort of concensus on the interpretation of the rule so I can decide if I will be able to fit a wider crossection tire or not. Believe it or not I actually read through the 500 posts pertaining to the 2003 rules changes. What a self serving cluster ****. Who runs the show SCCA or the drivers? No wonder I wanted to try conference this time around. Well that only helps a little because conference follows SCCA rules for ITE. Where is all the bitching for the 2004 rules?

Anyway my Volvo is an ITE car no matter what so I just need to get a hold of a few people to see if I can add some metal to my fenders to fit the size tires every one else is already using (self serving) because the rules now say I can. Hook me up or lets start a discussion about it.

------------------
    Peter Linssen
    ITE Volvo 740 Turbo
    ITB Opel Manta
    Oregon Region

Peter, here is the SF Region ITE rules

http://www.sfrscca.org/RoadRacing/Supps-Re..._SP_ITE_ITX.pdf

Pretty much wide open when it comes to fenders, flares, etc. As long as you run on DOT tires, they could be as wide as you could go.

------------------
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GP Wabbit
    http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

racer_tim @ yahoo dot com

Peter,

NER's rules are also pretty wide open. Basically, the car has to be legal for some race series, somewhere - and run on DOT tires. Tecnically, an ITE driver here is supposed to be able to show a rulebook for the series it is legal for...and that NEVER happens...it's basically a catch all for anything on DOT's.

Smart getting clarification first. I would go right to your Comp Chair and Chief of Tech. It's a Regional class so they should govern it.

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region, R188967
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

Knowing the rules is not the problem, and interpreting the rules is not a problem. The problem is that the rules have been changed the last few years due to some cry babies in a catchall class. Go figure? I would like to think there is some sort of stability before I perform 2k worth of fender flaring and 2k= for wheels and tires.

------------------
    Peter Linssen
    ITE Volvo 740 Turbo
    ITB Opel Manta
    Oregon Region

While I empathise about your rules stability issue, ITE is the LAST place I would race...why? There is always something out there that could come in and obliterate you. Up here, you could come in with a Trans Am-spec Jaguar that Rocketsports lent you, throw some DOT's on it and run in ITE...

...still worried about fender flares? I would spend the money on a car that 'fit' better into a class...

Haveing said that, and it's worth what you paid for it - zero - I would still meet with the PTB. Let them know your concerns and ask them to 'freeze' the rules for 5 years. That helps everyone.

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region, R188967
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

I have an ITB car if I want to be competative and have a chance to win. The ITE car is just way faster and a blast to drive with 400whp and 2700lbs. I just do not want to be forced to run SPO. Thanks for the advice. Joe Harlan helped co-author the present rule set so I would like to hear from him also.

------------------
    Peter Linssen
    ITE Volvo 740 Turbo
    ITB Opel Manta
    Oregon Region

Peter, You have my E-mail address. You are welcome to contact me direct. I am not the liason for ITE in our region I just tried to solve a couple of issues during that rule process. ITE cannot be a completely wide open set of rules when it has only IT level safety specs. If you want to reach me then E-mail me but don't try to drag me into a forum in this manner.

PS if tires and fenders are the big issue then you should just put the car in SP then you have no issues.

[This message has been edited by Joe Harlan (edited July 27, 2005).]

Had your email address and phone number, but now missing. Can you email me your info and shop address please. [email protected]

------------------
    Peter Linssen
    ITE Volvo 740 Turbo
    ITB Opel Manta
    Oregon Region