Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buttonwillow Oct 4-5th

Default Buttonwillow Oct 4-5th

Well bad news guys, the phone rings from my engine builder and it starts out with "Are you sitting down?". resulting info is much shorter with whats left. $500 oil cooler junk, front half of the motor junk, E-shaft junk, not much left cept a rotor and a couple of housings. Detonation was the demise of my 4 race old motor due to changes I had made trying to get it up to par with even the pro7 cars in SFR, tough crowd. Facing the fact that ill be a stranger till next spring I have a long winter setting in....

------------------
    Daryl Brightwell
    ITA RX7 #11
    NORPAC
    ITA RX7 #77
    SOPAC

Darryl,

Dude, that stinks. I feel for ya (I put up a lot of bravado to the guy who called me the "hard luck kid" at Sears, but slunk out of his sight after I came in on the tow). Good luck with your new winter project.

I hope you won't really be a stranger - be nice to see you out at the track, even if it's not ON the track.

I thought that rotaries were supposed to be reliable, with fewer moving parts? "I don't need no stinking pistons"

What were you trying to change, the timing? and that's what caused the detonation?

Start looking on eBay.

------------------
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GP Wabbit (Bent)
    http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

Daryl,

That is such a bummer, I was looking forward to racing with you on your home track oct 25-26. Can't you just get a stock used motor and run it for the rest of the season and then build it to race specs for next year?
    I am still going to be there for that weekend, so if you are going to come out for that race I would love to pick your brain on the hot line around your track.

------------------
    Ron Carroll
    REC Motorsports Inc.
    #35 ITA integra

I thought forsure the race was 4/5th, I may be able to put something together. tim I changed the exhaust and my intake and something was amiss as the air/fuel mixture was very unstable. I didnt have EGT'S in the car so I could tell for sure that bad things were happening, will have EGT's right away.

So it ran lean? Rotaries don't like to get warm, so I've been told. I also heard that some Mazda EP pilots put a small bit of oil in the gass to keep the rotor seals intact.

I installed an EGT and an A/F meter in my GTI this year. The EGT gauge is a dial type, and my A/F is a digital one. The Digital one doesn't display very well so I normally just monitor the EGT.

Since the crash, I have redone my dahsboard, installed my old aftermarket Tach, and have added 2 large idiot lights for Oil Pressure and Alternator. I borrowed a Porta-Power from Joe Craven and have pushed out some of the body panel. Was able to install and paint a new door, but still need to have the rest of the body work done. That's after I get a positive cash flow.

Working for EDD stinks. $370 a week doesn't go very far.

------------------
    Tim Linerud
    #95 GP Wabbit (Bent)

Originally posted by racer_tim:
    I thought that rotaries were supposed to be reliable, with fewer moving parts? "I don't need no stinking pistons"
    They are more reliable. Just don't like to be abused.

Daryl, I'm sure you were joking about the 10K rpm comment (unless you snuck a P-port under the hood.) I hope you get it together. Good used 12A housings are hard to find. Racing in the so-cal heat all the time, make certain your cooling system is top notch. And one rule fell your way: D.2.c "Crankshaft pulley is unrestricted" get the smallest thing you can. You must slow that WP down. Don't draft right up someone's rear end for very long, either.

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">[And one rule fell your way: D.2.c \"Crankshaft pulley is unrestricted\" get the smallest thing you can.</font>[/b]
    I thought that you were supposed to go with a LARGER pulley to slow down the water pump.

------------------
    Tim Linerud
    #95 GP Wabbit (Bent)

Negative, you want to underdrive the waterpump as much as possible. That requires the smallest drive pulley and the largest wp pulley combination legal.

By the way, rotaries don't have a crankshaft. Not, per the 2002 GCR definition.

No Daryl unfortunatly I wasnt kidding about the 10k, actually it was 10100 rpm to be exact. I made some experimental changes trying different intakes trying to get the hp up to the 124 wheel hp th pro7 cars are making along with a really free dual exhaust setup, I only ended up with 122 but at one time it showed as high as 128 but was dangerously unstable in the air/fuel mixture. this combo moved my peak hp from 7800 to 9k which made a very narrow shiftpoint too close to disater.

So quickshoe, rotaries don't have a problem with the water pump cavitating?

Isn't the ecentric (sp) shaft the same as a crank shaft on a piston engine?

I know that with piston IT engines, that you want to slow down the alternator and the water pump since most cars weren't designed to run at max RPM on the street.

At least thats the "IT urban legend" that I heard.

------------------
    Tim Linerud
    #95 GP Wabbit (Bent)

Oh ya...Rotaries can cavatate the water pump real quick. By throwing on the smallest drive pulley (on eccentric shaft, sorta the same as the crankshaft) and then large pulleys on the waterpump and alternator, a person can slow down the waterpump so it'll work at a higher than a factory-thought-to-be-safe level.

Sorry to hear about a new engine dieing. If it was my 4 year old 13b, I wouldn't be hurt...but a new engine. That sucks....allot.

Wow, 10k...That is spinning the little guy...I really doubt my rotary would take that more than once. Maybe with a different exhaust you can get you hp peak moved down in the RPM band a little bit. It might help with realiability.

What is the max rpm that the other rotor folks use? (Sorry, I'm not trying to highjack the thread..just curious)

Allen where ever your engine makes peak HP at will be the middle of your usable RPM range, for instance my old peak HP was 7800 so my shift point was 8500 to keep the car in the peak range as much as possible. yes im going to make sure I dont lose another engine but im not ready to give up getting competitive, I will see a Buck and a quarter on that dyno.

Originally posted by racer_tim:
    So quickshoe, rotaries don't have a problem with the water pump cavitating?
    Yes, they sure do.

Isn't the ecentric (sp) shaft the same as a crank shaft on a piston engine?

Right again, just poking at one of those GCR things. Might as well say "rotaries: camshafts are open" Of course they meant eccentric shaft pulley. And it's understood that is what they are talking about. But even their definition of the crankshaft doesn't describe the eccentric shaft. However, their definition of an "eccentric shaft" calls it "...akin to a crankshaft..."

I know that with piston IT engines, that you want to slow down the alternator and the water pump since most cars weren't designed to run at max RPM on the street.

Exactly, that's why you want the drive pulley as small as feasible and the water pump pulley as large as legal.

Originally posted by 7'sRracing:
    Allen where ever your engine makes peak HP at will be the middle of your usable RPM range, for instance my old peak HP was 7800 so my shift point was 8500 to keep the car in the peak range as much as possible. yes im going to make sure I dont lose another engine but im not ready to give up getting competitive, I will see a Buck and a quarter on that dyno.
    Daryl, IIRC some past posts suggest you're running towards the front. So I may be out of line by questioning the above. But that hasn't stopped me before. I'd get a second opinion about the above advice. How much power is your motor making between 5600-8000 rpm (that's where your rpms will be on a 3rd-4th shift at 8k) vs between 7000-10000. I'd think that the power above 8500 is falling quickly.

Other than apex seals breaking, what about the gears walking? Have you addressed that issue?

[This message has been edited by Quickshoe (edited September 11, 2003).]

What I have been using as my shift points, is that when shifting up I want the torque peak somewhere close to the RPM of the next gear. Yet again my fuel injection system (1985 GSL-SE), those piddly little ports, and undersized air flow meter don't allow enough air or fuel to pull past 8k. My horsepower drops off quite quickly after 7900. For me, going past 8k is just spinning the motor, it doesn't pull anymore. (I can't wait until I throw in a good streetport 13b, and move to GT....Horsepower...ahhhh) Oops sorry, started another thought process in mid stream, and I can't do two things at the same time...

------------------
    Allen Brown
    #36 IT-1
    GT-3 in 2004 or 2005
    [email protected]

just pluggin along, real quiet out here, new motor is still a ways away, new job is great though, love being my own boss. hellooooooow.

------------------
    Daryl Brightwell
    ITA RX7 #11
    NORPAC
    ITA RX7 #77
    SOPAC

Hey Daryl,
    Glad to here about the new job.

Do you think that you will have the new motor by the October race?

I am off to Thunder Hill for a test day and then race this weekend, wish you had a motor and could come join us, only 9 ITA cars on the entry list.

If you get a chance E-mail me and let me know what hotel-motel to stay in when I come down for the October race.

[email protected]

------------------
    Ron Carroll
    REC Motorsports Inc.
    #35 ITA integra

New job, I'm jealous.

For everyone out here, my resume is up @

http://tlinerud.home.comcast.net/Tim-Liner...erud-Resume.doc

Please feel free to "pass it around".

Thanks

------------------
    Tim Linerud
    #95 GP Wabbit (Bent)

I might have it done for the Oct race, im hoping anyway, my rotor guru found a couple of things that were slowing my engine down which accounts for why the pro7 cars were spankin me, rest assured this new motor will be no slouch (ya, I keep saying that) but really Ill be happy if it dosnt eat itself for lunch. Ill email you some hotel links for BWRP. Good luck at T-HILL, kick some butt and take names.

------------------
    Daryl Brightwell
    ITA RX7 #11
    NORPAC
    ITA RX7 #77
    SOPAC