Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fall Sprints at the Farm

Still waiting for my trans parts to show up. They better be in my door way when I get home OR ELSE!

Ben, this is a no excuse to miss race. We been beating up on the Saturn guy & now it's time for all good RX-7 owners (you & me) to preform.

Bill, the items I intended to do are complete. Striped it's inners out & added speed & cooling stuff only. No suspension or welded cage.

Look forward to seeing you guys.
    David

ps: I have some tales from hell. Opps, I mean the Runoffs.

Bill,
    Did you break the new sensor? If so let me know and i will talk to Autometer about a warranty.
    As to my car, I'm thinking about looking at it this weekend and maybe checking some things out before next weekend. Oil change, new rotors,quick alignment and i should be good to go.
    All i need to do is find a tow vehicle since my Dakato blew the rear end out towing a vintage car home from MN 2 weeks ago. I could always use my 1 ton dump truck but, that would look strange. See ya next weekend.

Bob Clark
    SCCA Cen-Div #76 ITA
    SCCA IT Committee

It wouldn't look strange to me, Bob!

No, the sensor didn't break. The brass fittings I was using to adapt to it broke. I've switched to steel fitting for this race, but if the fittings break again, the hole is getting plugged and I'll just pretend like I know what my oil pressure is!

Car was started last night and it seems that the majority of the problems I've been having all year are fixed. Now, I just have to clean all the oil off the car...

------------------
    Bill
    Planet 6 Racing
    bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

Oh don't you worry about me making it David, plastic car boy is GOING DOWN! John and I, in an effort to make it more interesting, have both decided to get a cold today so we are postponing transmission-pa-looza till Saturday. Most of the parts showed up yesterday (thank you mazda motorsports!) so hopefully we can slap one of these guys together. If not I'll just hollow out a trans case and extend the drive shaft all the way to the eccentric shaft and run it like dirt tracker. With the rotary's awesome redline I should still be able to beat Bill and his oil flinging glad trash can. (Oh that hurts!!!)

BRING IT BILL!

Easy on the PLASTIC stuff if,you bump us when it is cold out you might break us.
    My car also has plastic fenders and other misc parts from the hood to the area from the moulding down along the side is all plastic. Bill, you gonna let them talk like that?

Bob Clark

Yeah, I think I'll let them talk. That's all they do anyway...

I just got the last component I need to make sure my car is ready. I just hope they are!

------------------
    Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

What kind of car do you drive Bob? I don't believe we have met, but if you will be at Blackhawk I'm looking forward to it. All in good fun of course. We all know that bumping is bad, but David and I have been working on our Tandem of Terror approach. We'll be driving side by side with our doors open. Not blocking of course. We just happen to be so evenly matched we can never seem to complete a pass. It's also strange that our cars are only this evenly matched if we out qualify you guys. Pretty crazy but I guess that's how it goes!

Ben Harding

Ben,
    I drive a 1986 Honda CRX Si in ITA. This is not the fast later model cars. Mine is a ex-firehawk car. My buddy also has the same car, both are red #76 mine,#27 his.
    Look us up,we try to paddock out by turn 5 where all the power is. Can't miss us. Looks like we will have 4-5 IT cars and one prod car parked with us.
    I would figure if you and david are driving with your doors open it just breaks the wind for us and make it easier to pass.

Bob

Hey! No speaking of breaking wind in front of us! That might give them ideas!!

Ben, I'll be sure you and Bob meet. And, I might even be nice and bring some homebrew!

------------------
    Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

HOMEBREW!!! Kick arse! Might have to be a bad racing driver and have one Saturday night. Looking forward to meeting you Bob, although red honda's give me nightmares. You guys seem to always be flying around that track. Maybe now that I have the timing closer to correct things will be a little closer... I hope! Bill, are you still going for the turn 2-3 area?

I don't know. Bob invited me into his area, too, and made some good points about the advantages of parking over there. But, 3d-4 is closer to the real bathrooms and my "crew chief" really needs that. So...

------------------
    Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

Bill,
    No worrys about parking with us. Go where you need to go to keep the chief happy.
    There is a little path that runs between turn 5 and the tech shed and i will probobly bring my 4 wheeler to get around
    (if i can figure a way to get it in and out of the dump truck)so we can hook up either way.
    I'm always up fo a few beers at the end of the day so, bring it on!
    Ben, look forward to meeting you. I should be at the track fri pm. I'm leaving right from work(Pegasus)at 5pm so,it is only an hour or so to the track instead of 1hr 45min or more from my house.

Bob

With Vern working double duty between Crew & Tech, we'll be paddocked next to the Tech shed. See ya all there!

So how do you guys take the entrance to turn 3? I know we are talking about top secret driving technique here and no one wants to tell secrets, but if you're willing to share...

I've seen a lot of different ways to take the corner. Some take a middle of the road, hard on the brakes, then a turn. Or what about a left side of the road, trail brake into the corner kind of a squirrelly sliding entrance. I think I was doing the middle of the road hard on the brakes in a straight line heading a bit to the left side of the track then a turn. Is there a better way? I just feel this is one corner on this track that might hold a lot of time in it.

Follow me and keep up if you can!! Ha!

Bob

The simple answer is.....it depends.

I have seen three different national champs take the entrance to turn 3 in 3 different types of cars (FWD, RWD w/front engine, and RWD w/rear engine) and take 3 different lines.

What you really need to do is have a crew member sit out at the corner and take sector times and try different lines and see what works best for you.

For me (FWD) I like to straighten the exit out of two, enter about mid-track in a straight line, make an abrupt turn in, and then accelerate as hard as possible while unwinding the wheel. I like to use the gator teeth on the inside as my go/no go point, in other words if I goofed and carried to much speed into the corner, I can still feather the gas at that point to keep from running out of road, otherwise I keep my foot planted....hard. Note your tach reading on the exit and try to pick up time.

For a FWD car, it seems to be more of a slow in - fast out type of corner, but in a RWD (like a Miata) it is more of a momentum corner and they tend to carry more speed into the corner under a more 'steady-state' condition.

Nice one Bob, and that's Greg!

So in your best mad scientist voice, "It works!!!". As far as a small 1st and 2nd gear test can tell us, John and I have put together a transmission. Can't wait for the weekend!

Congratulations, Ben! It's good to hear that you'll be there for certain. Be sure to bring the tools for that trans, though, just in case...

As far as entry to turn three, I come out of 2, aim for the tree, wait until the tires are about to fall off the track, then turn. It seems to work good, but, then again, I haven't really tried anything different...

If you need me to bring anything to help make sure you get out on track, just shoot me an e-mail or give me a call. I'll put the Rockford Mazda dealers into my Cell Phone...

------------------
    Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

***"It works!!!". As far as a small 1st and 2nd gear test can tell us,***

Ben, find the address locations of the local Ricers & show them what real noise is. Test 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th to about 8 grand.

See ya all at the Farm
    David