Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Road Atlanta Pro IT

Road Atlanta lap times tend to be very different in June and July vs. November...

------------------
    Ony Anglade
    ITA Miata
    Roswell, GA

Originally posted by oanglade:
    Road Atlanta lap times tend to be very different in June and July vs. November...

Of about 1.5 +/- sec per lap...so, a 1:42:5 in June is equivelent to a low 1:41 in November. A low 41 in June is a 40 flat/high 39 in November where all the front runners are gonna be.
    Andy: the word "stretch" in your goal has a unintended conotation
    P.S.
    Now that the driver of the fastest ITS Mazda in the country works over at the Georgia Peach farm, that orange Rx7 is gonna be at a 40 flat at Rd Atl

Here is the video of Dobson into 1, looks like you left him room he just overcooked it...

http://russmarshall.com/albums/video/dobsondives.wmv

------------------
    Russ Marshall
    #31 IT-7

Originally posted by crushed:
    Here is the video of Dobson into 1, looks like you left him room he just overcooked it...
    I'm willing to second that assessment. Looks like there was still room to the apex for the RX7 to get down and through the corner. I'd say proper "racing room" was given.

However, it must be said that the responsibility lies with the overtaking driver, and if this video were to come before the SOMs, I would have to believe the IT7 guy would be licking his wounds.

------------------
    Chris Wire
    Team Wire Racing
    ITS Mazda RX7 #35
    [email protected]

Originally posted by crushed:

http://russmarshall.com/albums/video/dobsondives.wmv
    Thanks for the video....I also noticed, as I originally told Brian afterwards, that he hit me in the rear quarter of my car still behind me, and in fact there was more than a car + room that I had left him in the corner....It's still good to know so I can be more aware the next time

mark

[This message has been edited by wpspeedracer (edited June 08, 2005).]

There is enough room at the apex to drive my big Ford pickup truck through. It appears the RX7 lost grip on the front tires and started to slide towards the 944. Probably going slightly too fast to make the corner trying to get at the Porsche, so he could retaliate for an earlier incident at a previous corner.
    Andy

To address your response regarding retaliation from a previous lap, what happened there was strictly someone going off track and coming back onto the track and sliding into me. For that incident, no retaliation was even considered, just a racing incident. Just wanted it to be known.

------------------
    Brian Dobson
    #6 IT-7
    Mazda RX-7

[This message has been edited by dobson6 (edited June 08, 2005).]

I'm not sure what portion of your rear was hit, but from the damage on my drivers door and the damage on your right side door, it appears that I was more that just behind you, don't you agree?? From looking at the video, your breaking pattern is longer than most cars we race with in that class and my "diving" in on that corner was because I wasn't sure how much longer you would be breaking since our breaking time is different than yours. I was turning in to avoid losing my momentum to make the run up the hill and if by following your line and breaking with you I would have lost that momentum. In addition you appear to be apexing the corner later which has you coming in on me since I was driving up beside you. As it shows, I braked to avoid spinning out both cars at the cost of my sitting out 18 laps.

------------------
    Brian Dobson
    #6 IT-7
    Mazda RX-7

Originally posted by dobson6:
    I'm not sure what portion of your rear was hit, but from the damage on my drivers door and the damage on your right side door, it appears that I was more that just behind you, don't you agree?? From looking at the video, your breaking pattern is longer than most cars we race with in that class and my "diving" in on that corner was because I wasn't sure how much longer you would be breaking since our breaking time is different than yours. I was turning in to avoid losing my momentum to make the run up the hill and if by following your line and breaking with you I would have lost that momentum. In addition you appear to be apexing the corner later which has you coming in on me since I was driving up beside you. As it shows, I braked to avoid spinning out both cars at the cost of my sitting out 18 laps.

Brain
    First, I never left the track and re-entered back on turn 6...I was in line with all the other cars on the first lap and was following them thru turn 6..
    Secondly, as we all know...."racing" is and should be subconcious responses and maybe my braking,which resulted in my wide apex was in fact my awareness of you on my inside right rear and braking allowed me to feather off enough speed to go wide and give you 'racing room'. That's what I would hope my reaction would be in that situation. My requests in this forum has not be in judging you, but in fact asking others on the track to respond to the incident to determine if I made a mistake so I can correct my error(s) so that doesn't happen again.One would hope that you would also like to know. We all want to be competitive while at the same time courteous so as not to endanger our lives or the thousands of dollars of equipment that we all labor over that allows us to enjoy this sport. I look forward to racing again at Road Atlanta with you and all the other drivers I met this last weekend. All in all it was a great weekend, both racing and the weather....

Mark

[This message has been edited by wpspeedracer (edited June 09, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by wpspeedracer (edited June 09, 2005).]