Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roebling Carnage

Originally posted by instigator:
    Sunday I belive the ITS bmw that either Mr or Ms shafer were driving "red" started the wreck on front strech by missing gear and I almost got it in that one.
    You may want to check the spelling on that last name. My # 41 BMW has been sitting on jack stands in the garage since the February Regional at Sebring.

guys,
    Was right behind the red BMW and Mazda on Sunday, would like to know who the Mazda guy is, need to tell him something. I have it on video, did they take anyone else out?

Unfortunately this type of incident in turn one on starts is kind of a racing disease. It happens alot, but you only really hear about it when it goes very wrong like this one did.

Just 2 months ago at Road Atlanta the same sort of thing *almost* happened in the SM/ITB/ITC race. We had 60 cars out there and some jackass that started up near the front in a SM spun just past the exit of turn one and stopped sideways right in the middle of the track.
    Now, thats not why he's a jackass. He's a jackass because right in the middle of a huge field of cars trying to cleanly get around him, he decides that he's going to take off.
    This was about 6 inches from being a pile-up. I had to dive off track to the left and barely missed him along with a line of cars behind me. Remember, he did this in front of about 50 cars.
    Had I hit him, it would very likely have started a domino reaction as described above.

The same principle of being predictable when you're getting lapped applies to spinning or going off... Be predictable.

------------------
    #22 ITC Honda Civic
    3rd Place 2004 ARRC
    1st Place 2004 ARRC Enduro
    www.motorpride.com/Catch22

I saw it happen at VIR, at Atlanta, and really big time last year at Barber. Dodge v. Caddy at last years Runoffs(with disasterous results for the innocent Caddy). It is caused by drivers who are only thinking of themselves. "I have to get going again RIGHT NOW, or I will Lose this race." Fellow drivers, if you accept the fact that you have really screwed the pooch, that as of the first turn, your race has suffered a set back, then your fellow racers will give you enough room to sitand let the field go by. Just because you loused up, does not mean the rest of the field must pay. Besides, it makes for some good "boy, did I really come through the pack" stories.

Russ Myers

Does anyone know the story from the side of the fellow that caused the wreck? I heard he was from the Florida region and was driving a rental car at the time.

------------------
    Ron Earp
    NC Region
    Ford Lightning
    RF GT40 Replica
    White Jensen-Healey ITS
    Silver "Skull" 260Z ITS

Rented car! Ouch! Seen that happen before...driver ended up having to buy a car he couldn't afford and now didn't run and would never race again!

------------------
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

Bruce, sorry for the spelling. I meant Shaver

Anyone know how to get in touch with Shaver Motorsports? Need to return a borrowed part. thanks, chuck