Thread: Daytona Chicane

Default Daytona Chicane

Which chicane do you prefer on the back stretch of Daytona, the new 24 hour chicane used at the August Daytona race, or the old one used in the past. I heard that we can use either one at our races going forward. Maybe we can influence which one is used for the September race.

I prefer the new chicane.

Hammer, the September race will be using the long "bus stop" chicane. They intend to alternate between the two to keep it interesting.

I just read in the supps that the short chicane will be used

How much trouble will we get into if we all just skip the "bus stop" and fly off into turn 3 like the Nascar guys get to do. Only thing they can do is black flag all of us and slap our wrists. Would be fun to see what turn 3 is like at full speed. Plus it will be a big expense saver for all of us. Less brake wear, less abuse of the gearbox, less tire use, and less damage cause we won't go off in the bus stop. Think about it, they'd never know at timing and scoring anyway.

Mike C.
    Great idea (except for the part about trying to get racers to AGREE to anything).

And imagine, I've been saying NASCAR should ditch the restrictor plates, let them big V8's breath, but make them run the chicane(that would separate the men and the boys==and would also drive up the price of backstretch tickets). Then Mike comes along to try to get the road racers to skip the chicane. What's next? Bill Clinton becomes a Priest?

SeeYa Mikey

Jim

[quote]Originally posted by ITA240:
    What's next? Bill Clinton becomes a Priest?

Bill Clinton becoming a priest? Don't make me laugh. More like Hillary becoming President. Oh Crap, that may just happen. Next thing you know she'll ban racing because it's not good for your health and the cost of her health care plan would forbid us financially from taking part.

Alana, where'd you put my passport, I moving to south to the islands so I can race with the PR guys. Hey I already got the car to do it with.

Mike makes a good point. How would timing and scoring know if you cut the chicane during qualifying? Just do it on one lap. Do you think they would be looking at your lap times of under 2 minutes as being wrong? Maybe a 1:40? A new lap record by 15 seconds sounds reasonable to me. I think I will try it out on Saturday.
    Andy

Not to hijack the thread but....

At NHIS (New Hampshire International Speedway) turn 3 and turn 10 have only "Jersey barriers" (big ones) and tires that seperate the two turns. This is the spot that the road racing circut "leaves" the "nascar" oval on the back streight. Their is a cut through that I have used... Everyone always tells me after the provisionals are posted how wonderfull I did in qualifying... This cuts off half the track and gives you a wonderfull time!!!

They always seem to fix the time though

Raymond Blethen
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Originally posted by Mike Cox:
    How much trouble will we get into if we all just skip the "bus stop" and fly off into turn 3 like the Nascar guys get to do.

Mike, I thought I was losing my mind from not racing for a year but what's your excuse !

Ya may save on brakes but ya better change your springs or you will grind your bell housing down when you bottom out going into Nascar 3.
    Oh, bring an extra suit to change into as your going to have a huge stain on your bottom after trying that one.
    First time I went into Nascar 3, FLAT, it definately left an impression on me.
    (Nov.'79, IMSA RS in a Rx2, I was told by all it was flat to the floor so I did it. Ya gotta work up to it or risk a heart attack and a smelly suit).
    Good Luck !

P.S.

While you're at it, also blow by turn one and barrel into Nascar one at full tilt !
    Now thats something no one on this board has ever done. I'd be curious if you could average 150 mph for the full lap

P.S.S.
    ya know i'm kidding...right?

P.S.S.S.
    Well, actually, if you changed your gearing to a stock 3.90, you might be able to find 150 mph. Worth a shot?

[This message has been edited by Carlos E. Gutierrez (edited September 17, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by Carlos E. Gutierrez (edited September 17, 2003).]