I am pretty sure I know the answer to my question is no , but , is there a track day or practice day at Daytona? I learned my lesson the hard way at Homestead when you practice/qualify the first time you hit the track and on top of that you are responsible for staying out of the way of the 50 or 60 ITA and ITS cars that are out there with you.
I have done ok racing in my first full year but my low point was sliding through the grass backwards at Homestead at about 100mph off the far straight because someone told me I should take that transition turn flat out. Maybe its' just me but it is a great advantage to be able to drive a track in a pure practice type situation and have the opportunity to work on braking points etc. I am not talking about a lot of laps but 4 or 5 would make all the difference in the world. Don't get me wrong I will be back at Homestead in September and I am confident I will not have the same problem again ( at least not at the same turn) but, it would make me personnally much faster if I could practice where I race like we can at Sebring or Moroso. Unless something changes I guess I will have to suck it up and take my lumps the first time I race a track like I am sure all of you experienced guys may have in the past.
Thanks
Jim I
IT7 #60