Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NHIS Double July 9/10

Originally posted by JLawton:
    Oooooh, I am so biting my tongue!!!!

I had a loooong statement written but decided it wasn't worth it!!

I also read the rant on the Miata board about the protests. It goes to show you why we don't like running with them when they complain about being protested AFTER THEY HIT SOMEONE!! Not the right attitude to have......

I would rather run with the ITS guys any day!!

Jeff, I went looking for that rant, but no luck. Can you give a link?

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Originally posted by lateapex911:
    Jeff, I went looking for that rant, but no luck. Can you give a link?

http://forum.specmiata.com/cgi-bin/ultimat...=7;t=000715;p=0

For everyone's info - it was the ITA race and the ITB race. In the ITB race the driver WITHDREW the protest due to the fact that he felt confident that the message was understood by the driver involved.

I am not going to post on the SM page, because this is where I belong

~Jason

------------------
    Jason
    ITB 17 (NER SCCA)
    VW Scirocco

Originally posted by ner88:
    So Jim, If an ITB hits an ITB that is different than being hit by a SM? I'm biting my tongue as well. I would love to see 30 ITBs in a race......why are there so many racers in Miatas? Sorry, I'm tried of people pointing fingers at "those Miata Guys"
    Yes, I know my statement came acrosss as a generalization, as Andy was pointing out I saw Crew "Lady's" comments and was a little POed. However, the follow up posts restored a lot of good will for me. I did have my issues in Saturdays race, went to talk to the other driver and got nothing but attituded. Those two events plus having to run with cars that were so evenly matched made for a frustrating weekend in that sense (I did over all have a blast!!!). I was help up by Miata's as I'm SURE I held some of them up.

It's funny, a few years ago IT had the same reputation as the Maitas do know!! Only it was justified!!

I would still rather run with ITS because of the speed differential. That way I can dice with just ITB cars. Andy, NER88, I'll refrain from generalizing about Miatas!!

------------------
    Jeff L
    #74 ITB GTi

I just lost braincells trying to navigate that thread

anyway. Race weekend images are online

Thanks Jeff, we're all there for the same reasons.

I, for one, had a good (not great, I'll expand on that) weekend and did not have any personal issues with any SM cars. I did question the legality of rear window tint and went to the driver on grid to mention that I could not see him wave off the start on Saturday. When I approached him on Sunday, he had already removed the tint, and welcomed the feedback that I could not see hand signals.

The Saturday qual. went well despite the incorrect decision to run rains and my shift selector falling off leaving me in what I think was fourth gear. I still qualified OK. The race was going very well, as I diced back and forth with Eli in the #67 ITB VW which is the sister car to my #17 Red VW. We had a great time, but I had a drive flange separate from the tranny, which put me out at lap 12. I did post a lap time that was on .2 seconds off my brother’s fastest NHIS time which is very encouraging.

I did end my race early on Sunday when a SM car spun at the exit of the chicane and I had no where to go, but that was a racing incident and he had been racing around me and ITB car for the previous four laps without any incidents. I spoke with Rob McCabe (#54 Vantage car) after the incident because he helped to accelerate me into the Miata when I had the binders on and the wheel turned to avoid the incident. He said he had his wheel completely turned and there was nothing he could do either. I sustained heavy damage to the front and lite damage to the rear. Repairs will begin tonight.

Thanks to Brian Mushnick, Jeff Benagh, Fire Rescue (parts recovery), Rapid (more parts recovery), and Raymond Blethen (graphics).

Also thanks for some great {clean} racing/qualifying with: Charles Gerundo (#95 IT; Jeff Lawton (#74 IT; and Eli Garret (#67 IT.

If all goes well, I will see everyone at the Glen. If not, I will be at NHIS in August.

------------------
    Jason
    ITB 17 (NER SCCA)
    VW Scirocco

First, I would like to thank all the drivers who made it by my "new car" as I was shaking it out. I was struggling with fuel delivery issues due to a rusty (and I mean R-U-S-T-Y) gas tank...during one of the fuel filter cleanings we pulled out two full-sized bugs. I made every attempt to lift and be off line when faster cars approached

Jeff Lawton, Eli, Jeff and Jason, Derek (and the rest of the SM and ITB crowd)....I made sure to leave you all plenty of room and I thank you for making it by without issues. I hope I did not hold you up at all.

The fuel tank is at a radiator shop right now, and will come back clean and coated.

As for the SM discussion...Andy is spot on (I hate when he is right). With any given group, you will get your group of "bad" drivers...with SM/SSM and a class of ~55, you will have a much higher chance of being around one of them. I happened to be in that situation...but I refrain from public forum rants...ON the lighter side, when I was getting tapped by an SM on my rear bumper, it was quite comical to see the SM wiggle and the Audi tank barely move

Car should be much better at the Glen, but all in all, I am VERY happy considering the first at speed lap for the car was Saturday's race.

Regards,
    Alan

Originally posted by biovic:
    Yes, there was some interesting stuff both days in ITA, courtesy of Victor (me).
    Apologies to the whole ITA/ITC field on Sunday at the start as I limped along from 2nd place to 30th, and kudos for not ramming me. I was having some computer issues, but I managed to stay out of everyone's way and finish (not last) 18 laps. I have not DNF'd in 4 years and I wasn't going to start yesterday!
    On Saturday in an awesome race (in my opinion) with Jeremy about halfway through I took turn 2 coming out the oval too wide and got loose in the marbles. Managed to miss the back straight wall after doing a 360 plus a 180. Worked my way back to 4th and I was happy. Good weekend all around, some issues too, but that's racing.
    Victor
    03 ITA

I'll second that Victor! Great race, I had a blast. Your spin was very entertaining in my mirror. I went through 3 and had to look up track to see if you hit anything. I can't believe you made it out.

Too bad for Sunday. About 5 or 6 laps into the race I started having some fuel delivery issues (at least that is the guess right now). Kind of made for a boring race for me on Sunday.

Jeremy

Jason:

On behalf of the SM car who you went nose to nose w/ and to the yellow ITB Scirroco, here is the post that the SM driver asked me to provide, he is not a member on this site, but knew that I am:

"To the yellow and red ITB cars (both VWs??) sorry to have messed up your race on
    Sunday, I normally go look for those I get mixed up with, but I was so disgusted
    with myself i decided to pack it up and go home. I was so busy looking in my
    mirrors as I came out of 2 I didnt realize I had gotten up into the cruddy stuff.
    To the guy in the yellow car, thanks for getting around me without too hard a hit,
    to the guy in the red car (Jason?) who hit nose to nose, thanks for having the
    sense to be full on the binders, I thought this was going to be the full test of my
    HANS device. I think you got the worst of it, which I truly am sorry for.
    Regards
    Rob Freitas
    87 SM"

If you feel the need to get w/ Rob directly, let me know, I will put you in touch. He is a genuinely nice guy who would not want hard feelings to be felt between himself or any of the rest of the Miata Herd and the IT Crowd.

Matt

[quote]
    to the guy in the red car (Jason?) who hit nose to nose, thanks for having the
    sense to be full on the binders, I thought this was going to be the full test of my
    HANS device. I think you got the worst of it, which I truly am sorry for.
    Regards
    Rob Freitas
    87 SM"
    QUOTE]

As I said in my post -- I see this as a racing incident. There was nowhere for me to go and nothing he did, but over drive the corner. No foul here. I have really good video (head on) of his car and mine.

I appreciate the response and I look forward to racing with Rob again.

Brian Mushnick helped me to pull out the front end using my truck. I hope to make it the Glen next weekend.

Happy racing.

Jason

------------------
    Jason
    ITB 17 (NER SCCA)
    VW Scirocco

[This message has been edited by itracer (edited July 16, 2005).]