Thread: Doug You may want to start wearing a helmet when you shoot.

Default Doug You may want to start wearing a helmet when you shoot.

http://homepage.mac.com/billh96007/.Pictur...re-(2),7066.jpg

------------------
    Sam Rolfe
    TBR Motorsports
    #85 ITC VW Rabbit being converted to LPHP
    #85 GP Scirocco

Sam,

I had no idea someone got a shot of that. Fortunately Ken (the photographer) suffered less damage than his monopod did. I hope someone at least sent him a copy of the picture.

------------------
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Shelby Charger
    MARRS #96

Was that this weekend? I just founf the pic on the vwvortex site. That had to hurt.

------------------
    Sam Rolfe
    TBR Motorsports
    #85 ITC VW Rabbit being converted to LPHP
    #85 GP Scirocco

Yep, that was last weekend at Summit. I talked to Ken about an hour or so afterward and he seemed to be okay. He was certainly joking around with a few of us and showing off the cracked carbon fiber stand he had for his camera. That probably slowed the wheel down a bunch. He did say he never saw it coming. I was just glad to hear he was okay after I heard the call over the radio that a photographer had been hit.

------------------
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Shelby Charger
    MARRS #96

-----

[This message has been edited by timelapseracing (edited May 01, 2005).]

YIKES! Glad Ken is ok.

Whether it's a regional event or ALMS I always always make sure that I am behind armco or a barrier with a tirewall in front of it. Additionally I try to make sure I stay near the workers just in case. I've seen some photogs stand in very scary places at Lime Rock and Sebring.

This was about as close as I want to get, notice that I'm behind tires, a barrier and a fence - http://www.the16v.com/media/video/2race/tu...turnerwreck.wmv

------------------
    Doug
    NER.org webmaster
    the16v.com Photography
    briansgarage.com

i hate it when i see things like that and it happens all too frequently. a camera is no protection.

for the life of me i cannot believe that someone would stand there without a barrier between them and the track or, at the very least, a spotter with them.

use your head out there people. he is lucky that he wasnt serioulsy hurt. i hope this doesnt negatively impact photographing at SP in the future.

I too talked to Ken Brown after the race and he seemed ok and able to laugh about it. The carbon fiber monopod was a total write off.

John Higgins (the driver of ITC #75)was also ok ,but was disturbed at the fact that when the front hub on his car broke the loose wheel not only damaged the car but hurt someoneelse.

I absolutely do not want to see people get hurt in our hobby but it is even worse when the person who gets hurt is a "non-combatant".

Congrats to Mr. H(Bill Hollinger) for getting a great sequence of shots even though it was a side of the sport i don't want to see.

cheers
    dave parker
    wdcr ITC#97

This thread over on SCCA forums is an example of what can happen without proper protection...

http://www.sccaforums.com/ubb/ultimatebb.p...c/15/884#000000

Interestingly, that photo will be the cover shot for the July issue of "Volkswagen Livin'" magazine.

Steve U
    05 ITS

What a great shot.

Let's see, flying camera, flying cell phone, flying human. Yeah, that's about right.

G

I think if you read the details the flying photographer won't be taking any more pictures...

[This message has been edited by BillW (edited April 29, 2005).]

Originally posted by ulfelder:
    Interestingly, that photo will be the cover shot for the July issue of "Volkswagen Livin'" magazine.

Steve U
    05 ITS
    I've got a few shots for "Rotary Incidents" :P

Originally posted by BillW:
    This thread over on SCCA forums is an example of what can happen without proper protection...

http://www.sccaforums.com/ubb/ultimatebb.p...c/15/884#000000
    this one has been dissected for a while now. The guy who got hit didn't have credentials to be there, no spotter, and... well, basically shouldn't have been there at all - any sane person would stand behind the armco. It stinks that he lost his life but for God's sakes man! Think about where you are before you put that point and shoot to your face. Common sense goes a long way.

IIRC this was some sort of club event in Brazil