Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the suspense is killing me

Originally posted by Doc Bro:
    I really don't care in some regards because I'd rather be last on the race track than first on the couch and I know we'll get it fixed eventually. Rob
    #36 BMW Z3

Rob,

You don't even know how lucky you are!!! This is the first year since I started raceing that I didn't run up at NHIS. It was awefull.... I was at work all day depressed as ?:"{ and jelious of all of you!

Got to say congrats to TIM for winning in ITB I heard you guys where all fast and into the 19's!! I knew it was only a matter of time before that VW was winning! Congrats to shawn for getting his car super fast! Shawn be carefull though your VW is resembling those with flat pistons Don't want to see you getting into trouble! Matt take the third, staying up with Paul is the best feeling I can remember in the past. I remember when I first finished behind him. I was so excited that I could still see him at the end of the race! So you and Eli will both be running in ITB at the same time? Maybe I will have to get to at least one local event this year.

Stephen Blethen

Good job Tim on the win.

I wasn't going to say anything, but I want to atleast make some things clear so people don't assume that I am cheating, becuase to my knowledge everything on my car is legal.

Last year I was runing in the 22's with a POS car, so after spending close to $10K on rebuilding my car from the ground up I wouldn't think a 2.5 second improvement in time is unreasonable, especially since the lap record in ITB is 17.1.

I went from a neuspeed autocross suspension with 350# springs in the front and 275# springs in the back to bilstien road race coilovers with 650# in front and 450# in the rear.

I had a stock motor and tranny with 175K miles, now I have a fresh motor built to IT specs with a quaife.

I had a stock exhaust manifold and downpipe to a straight exhaust, now i have a tt race header with a custom tt header back exhaust.

i have ecsta v710's this year instead of victo v700's.

i have an 80mm cis setup instead of the 60mm one the PO had in the car on mistake.

If those improvements alone arn't enough to gain over two seconds a lap take into consideration the only other time i ran at NHIS was my FIRST RACE IN A CAR EVER!

I have a lot of experience behind the wheel becuase I raced gokarts for 9 years, but up until last year i have never raced a road course or a car before.

Stephen this isn't directly at you, others where saying things at the track if you want bring a flashlight and take out a plug and check for yourself.

Shawn.

Shawn-

I was at the track and saw you run a few laps...

You'll get some crapola from people... we certainly have before... Only big difference is it took us 3-4 years to get to the front, experimeting and developing the cars. Last year we went to the ARRC and on my first ever visit I qualified on Pole 1 second ahead of the field (with exception to my bro who qualified .01 behind me). Then in the race I went from several seconds in last place all the way to 2nd only to have the hub shear off...

Best way to get people to quiet down a little is to go to an event such as the ARRC where if you do well your car will get torn down. It also is the "unofficial national IT championships." Well worth the $200 for a gasket set.

You certainly did a great job, and from what I saw drove a very good clean smooth line. You surprised a lot of people coming out of the box for the season with an increadably fast car as compaired to last year. Also you might not realize this but you probably ran compairable times to the fastest laps that any "legal" rabbit has ever turned at NHIS. This is also amaizing to people as you havn't been around our woods that long, and most including myself did not know that you raced carts in your prior life (If you consider racing cars your life).

I think Stephen was just warning and to expect rumors... Just go through the car and double check everything and you will be fine. We investigate issues that people bring to our attention to be sure that we are legal.

Good luck and do what my bro and I have done for a while... when people question the car smile, cause if your legal it truley is a compliment

Raymond

PS: Good Luck with Scott, Mike, and the Canadians... They will love the competition and they are all tough compeditors I will see you next year or at the ARRC

Shawn;

hey - thanks for the kind words about the win. Too much fun!

give me a shout via email if you can, I am at [email protected]

thanks,

TimM

Shawn, guess it's just human nature to make assumptions like that. Too bad especially when a car is legal. Part of the issue is that there are cars out there that...well, are questionable and lead to these types of assumptions. And as Jake et al found out all too well there are one or two flaws with our existing protest system.

Like you, I've been playing around with my car this winter (well, I didn't have quite as much fun as you). Guess rumors like what you experienced are to be expected. My theory is if you're open with what you've done to the car (as you were) and don't have a problem with opening the hood or what ever, things should be cool.

Stephen / Ray - keep us posted if you do a local event this year (hopefully at LRP). I was looking forward to getting beat up on by ya all this year other then at the ARRC.

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER ITB #13
    '87 Honda Prelude si

Originally posted by gran racing:
    Shawn, guess it's just human nature to make assumptions like that. Too bad especially when a car is legal. Part of the issue is that there are cars out there that...well, are questionable and lead to these types of assumptions. And as Jake et al found out all too well there are one or two flaws with our existing protest system.

Like you, I've been playing around with my car this winter (well, I didn't have quite as much fun as you). Guess rumors like what you experienced are to be expected. My theory is if you're open with what you've done to the car (as you were) and don't have a problem with opening the hood or what ever, things should be cool.

Stephen / Ray - keep us posted if you do a local event this year (hopefully at LRP). I was looking forward to getting beat up on by ya all this year other then at the ARRC.

Probably nothing at LRP because of cost and track time. Maybe cheap date or something. Unfourtunatly I have chosen to go to places like VIR and Mid Ohio because the cost difference is very minimal and per lap it's actually cheaper than LRP. Next year though.....

PS: I like Shawn a lot He is a great guy and I had a huge pleasure hanging out with him. I am just letting him know That I have heard things and I want him to make sure he dot's his i's and crosses his T's. People have made rumers about me as well and it is depressing. And if you think my Audi is fast you wait, other Audis are going to pop up like the McNaries and they will be faster than me for sure. My car isn't even close to its potentiol. Imagine if Anthony serra got his experience with car set ups into my car!! I will always dream

PSS: Sorry shawn for saying that earlier

Stephen

Thanks for being understanding guys. Stephen I didn't take offence to what you said, so don't worry about it. I enjoy hanging out with just about everyone at the track, and I may have come off a little harsh in my post, but it's frustrating when you spend so much time and money and try to do all of the homework you can to make improvements on your car, and then when you do improve people automatically accuse you of cheating before they even know what was done to the car. Yes I have got faster, but there are many factors that contribute to that, and figuring out how to setup a car, and getting use to turning both ways and not just one was a big help. I do plan on attending the ARRC, so hopefully i'll get to race against those audi's once this year. Trust me, I am going to check over everything on the car again to make sure it's legal now that people are doubting me, but as far as I know everything should be ok. See you guys at the next race, Shawn.

way to go Shawn! Give em Hell! Phil (I always knew you would)

------------------
    phil hunt

Hi All,
    We are planning to do the pig roast with a couple of worn out old A-2 Golfs, might give you a bit of a yardstick to compare your driving/car to.Looking forward to the close competition.
    Derek and the Vantage team.
    Truro N.S.