Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: emissions dilemma

Dave,
    I just sold my tow dolly because I didn't want to deal with having to register it in NJ. Haven't done the research, but if registering the tow dolly in NJ means that what is on it does NOT have to be registered in other states, I'd be willing to do so for you ... something to think about, but you should check with NJ and CT laws to see how going across state lines changes requirements...

------------------
    Dave Youngren
    NER ITA RX7 #61

Dave
    I feel for you.I still have not bought a trailer .I am lucky enough to borrow one(major pain in the a$$).My problem is more than just funds(which is real). But I live in a row home and have no way and cant afford to park one.

Ok,here's the deal. You are lucky...you're married. Read that again!

Register the car in her name in Maine. NEVER let her drive it or be with it when towing.

Maine needs $. They don't care 'bout no 'missions stuff.

You don't even need a Maine address, or even have to vacation there. BUT...if the thing is registered in YOUR name, and a cop pulls you over and looks at YOUR lic, which says "CT", you are screwed. Bonus points if your wife has the first name of "Fran" or similar, and thought "Gran" wasn't the way to go, and kept her own surname...

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Jake, just how many times was I supposed to read that? Just playing...she's busy doing some yoga thing so back to the computer.

The only issue with that is she actually wants to go with me to some of the races, esp. ones a bit further away. Guess it's a good time to catch-up on her reading? With some of the longer tows such as Summit and Atlanta (who knows??), she'll be doing some of the driving. But that gave me some ideas in the worst case scenerio even if just a temp fix after the 5 month non-working CT thing expires.

Dave, I really, really appreciate the offer but won't risk getting you in trouble. It is one thing to shoot myself in the foot, but to point a loaded gun at someone else's and hope it doesn't go off would be wrong. But seriously, thanks!!

When I looked at some of the cheap used trailers, I found that after getting it in decent shape (brakes working properly, lights, tires, ect.) it often got a bit pricey. Trailers just don't seem to depreciate much.

Seamus - have you looked into various places to store it? Meaning...any local business such as auto parts store, car dealership, autobody shop, ect. Or if in a more rural area, landscaping businesses at their "home base", farms, ect. Call it a form of sponsorship or if you don't feel like doing it that way, pay them a bit for their space. Depending on where you work (this could be very convenient), maybe you could store it somewhere hidden there. I was a bit surprised to find out that there is a trailer stored behind one of our buildings for exactly that reason. (And it is a conservative company in the banking industry) Just a thought.

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER ITB #13
    '87 Honda Prelude si

I was just told about a good used trailer in Ct that is available for $1000. owner upgraded to alum.
    dick patullo

[email protected]

So how much is a junkyard exhaust?
    Buy one and do Diane's deal.

------------------
    "Bad" Al Bell
    ITC #3 Datsun 510
    DC Region MARRS Series

Originally posted by gran racing:
    Jason - thanks! Can't hurt to hear about the trailer deal.
    Dave-- You have mail

------------------
    Jason
    ITB 17 (NER SCCA)
    VW Scirocco

Originally posted by GregAmy:
    With respect to Das EnduroMeister, I think registering the car out of state is impractical and, most importantly, illegal.
    Illegal ? I'd rather think of it as a 'bureaucratic anomaly'. I used to keep a street car registered in Louisiana, and a trailer registerin Maine. I think the 'symbiotic confluence' of these two was someplace near at White Castle near Columbus, Ohio. Mmmmm.....'sliders'....Mmmmmm.

I never 'did time' in the 'big house' for registration shenanigans. Civil gov't jacks us around all the time, I'm just doing my part jacking them around right back.

Did you know that, by mailing a $20 bill to the right person in Louisiana, you could get an inspection sticker, mailed right back ? You just have to know the right kind of people.

Originally posted by JohnRW:
    Illegal ? I'd rather think of it as a 'bureaucratic anomaly'. I used to keep a street car registered in Louisiana, and a trailer registerin Maine. I think the 'symbiotic confluence' of these two was someplace near at White Castle near Columbus, Ohio. Mmmmm.....'sliders'....Mmmmmm.

I never 'did time' in the 'big house' for registration shenanigans. Civil gov't jacks us around all the time, I'm just doing my part jacking them around right back.

Did you know that, by mailing a $20 bill to the right person in Louisiana, you could get an inspection sticker, mailed right back ? You just have to know the right kind of people.

Last I knew it *was* illegal in CT to have a car registered in another state unless you also had a residence in that state. Another case where your neighbors can turn you in and you're done. And while todays neighbors may be fine, the next one may not like the race car parked in the back or side yard.

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=810&Q...r=|27892|#27893

Diane

It was my understanding that it was also illegal to buy a used catalyst from a junkyard - anybody know if that is true? Do I just not know the right people? I'd love to get a modern, high flow catalyst onto my '83 RX7 and still meet (well, pass) state emissions requirements.

------------------
    Dave Youngren
    NER ITA RX7 #61

David, it is illeagle(?) to purchase a cat from the junk yard,but not to buy an emblem for 100.00 CASH (no reciept) You just have to ask the correct questions. good luck,Dan

Interesting! You can surely purchase a junked car and swap the system over though. I get spoiled as Tim builds them for me. I think he recently bought a free-flow cat for well under $100 though.

Diane

sheesh, obviously posting in my sleep!

[This message has been edited by Diane (edited March 05, 2005).]