Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car Classification Question

Ah I new I forgot somethings...

Tow rig $$$$$ I had and still have the use of my fathers and some of my friends, you live in Maine so maybe you have some friends willing to help out? I have to put in a thank you here to my friend Tim Dugan who lends me his truck every year to tow the race car... he even lets me take the truck to Pocono, and no he doesn't go.

Trailer: You can ushually pick up a used trailer for about $1,000 +/- depending how nice you want it. The major maintenance involved in that is rewiring the lights every time you use it, and fixing wheelbearings if you hit the curbs in the toll both.

Racing wheels: He said he had wheels and tires, but Wheels are certainly NOT a needed item, only benifit I think is looks and possible offsets. (maybe a pound or two in weight, but not enough to make it a needed item). We do have wheels, they were the lightest non-racing wheels (off the shelf aftermarket wheels) and they cost about $50.00 a wheel brand new.

Racing Tires: YES absolutely needed to go fast. I would consider tires as a per event cost along with Gas, towing expenses and entry fees. Sorta in a different catagory or line item in the racing budget. I guess brakes could be added to that catagory for some, but brakes on our cars last almoast as long as a fresh engine.

Also an FYI on the fuel test port... The Audi has a factory test port, no modifications required, just have an extra injector line to screw in

As far as repairs and oils and all that I included a buffer in my analysis for that stuff and as well as the possible radiator, motor mounts, brakes, cv shafts, hoses etc. obviosly if you get a bare minimum shell with A LOT of problems then it will cost you more. But if you get a running car that is street legal you should not have many problems going over the budget I listed.

Raymond "keep the missing stuff coming" Blethen

PS: I am not arguing the thought of renting a car, I am trying to have just another post telling people what it costs to go racing. Since Jarod is into Audi's (and since he is a very potential new IT racer in the Northeast) I thought our cars made a good example for him to see what real costs are.

A lot of this depends on what one defines as "needs" to go out racing.

Stock rims will work. Use Toyos for tires. Or as I did, buy some preowned tires for the first few races / schools. I used $25 / tire BFG SRF tires. Calipers, master cylinder, ect.? Not on my car (1987). But then again it is a Honda. You don't need to do anything to the motor. Although if Ray can hook you up with what he does, then by all means go for it esp. at that price!

Many cars / SUVs out there can tow 3,000 lbs. I bought a tow dolly due to the vehicle I was originally using. They weigh 500 lbs or less, can be bought for $500 or less used.

I also went out and got some product sponsors who would not help me if I were renting. Getting sponsorship is tough but it can be done. I'll leave that discussion alone.

People judge things by what they see in SCCA. For us in the N.E., take a look at some of the other local clubs. Not every one has (or needs to have) big rigs, fancy trailers, fully preped cars, ect.

The focus for new people should be just to get out on the track. Isn't it a common saying that it is better to be out on the track with a slow car many times a year then in a fast car a few times a year?

Oh well. Guess we just have different perspectives.

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER ITB #13
    '87 Honda Prelude si

I agree with what you are all saying, i just thought i'd put in my perspective. We have all approached racing in different ways, and to suit our different tastes and needs. I guess the best option depends entirely on who the person is. I did want to make sure that different options were discussed, and treated as completely as possible. Hope this is helping the original poster .

Oh My God.
    These are the things I don`t think about. Just like the goverment. How much it cost`s. If I did I probaly would not do it.
    Even with everything it add`s up. I would like to get the rush jumping out of planes but I`m scared of hight`s.???????????
    So I`m stuck with car`s.
    Hey turbo guy. It`s a lot of money so go slow to start get just what you need. And when steven says look in your mirrior`s he ain`t kiddin. But In ITE that`s all you`ll be doing.
    Good luck and maybe we`ll see you at the NHIS school.
    Scott ITA NER CRXsi 09

P.S. I would not want to be Ray and Dan when they get back from Canada.

Figured I would update. Was unable to sell my turbo car and can't bear to tear it down yet, so i think I may try to run in ITE next year. Thanks again for all the help guys. Dealing with installing a LSD and cage this month. Hope to see some of you guys this spring.

Jared

Jarod-

Looking forward to seeing the car on the track!!!

Raymond