Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NER Club Racing Meeting minutes

Bob,

Share some of the other details. LRP is a 'minimum' track time scene. 20 minutes practice/qualify and a 20 minute race. 40 minutes over 2 days with wet/muddy paddock, cold showers and cramped parking. The WORST value in Road Racing in the Northeast. Oh ya, 1.5 miles so not many cars on track means 8+ run groups with very restrictive 'hours of operation' due to local sound ords.

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region, R188967
    ITS RX-7 and ITA project SM
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

Originally posted by 1stGenBoy:
    ...Granted the $300.00 is for a double regional weekend ...
    ...a double regional at that track $305.00 to $325.00 Bob Clark
    $300 for a double weekend is an absolute bargain. A little bit of a travel but a bargain.
    Ray

"Share some of the other details. LRP is a 'minimum' track time scene. 20 minutes practice/qualify and a 20 minute race. 40 minutes over 2 days with wet/muddy paddock, cold showers and cramped parking. The WORST value in Road Racing in the Northeast. Oh ya, 1.5 miles so not many cars on track means 8+ run groups with very restrictive 'hours of operation' due to local sound ords."

Andy,
    We get 20-25 min of qualifying and a 10 lap race each day on a double weekend at Road America. Now lets say you are running a ITB car. Lap Record for ITB at RA is 2:54 i think.Most guys around high 2:55-low 2:56. 4 mile track, 1st lap get everything warm,2nd-6th lap go for it. Checkered flag on the 6th or 7th lap.
    Only 6-8 laps maybe on a qualifying session less,if you pit for tire temps, etc.
    10 lap race which is Ok. Track time 60 min maybe per day. We also run 8 groups and have to be off track at 5pm although,we can start at 8am.
    Hope this helps. Talk to you tonight on the con-call.

Bob Clark

------------------

I'm sure that LRP is also looking at the amount of money it can generate by renting the track to us, as well as the liability in doing so...

However I'm also wondering that IF it were possible to generate a broader spectator base, would the entry fee for the drivers go down.

Before you blast my thinking, I'm just trying to offer a slightly different option...

Market the races, as they are some of the best damned races to watch,... which they are, and perhaps we can get some more revenue generated.

Think coverband in a bar: it's not how good your band is, but how many people you bring in and how much they drink.

Another idea, and I've seen this shot down before too, to bring more spectators in, offer a 30 - 50 dollar ride around the track... obviously limit the number of people. This does two things... attracts attendees, encourages new drivers and raises the revenue generated by our events.

Shoot away.

-dave
    8)

At the MARRS Summit Pt. race I went to last year, they allowed racers to take a passenger out in the car for a $10 fee. It was great taking my wife and friend around the track. I'm not sure how much money it generated, but it was a pretty cool idea. I'm also not sure how long this would last; after a while I'm sure the interest would diminish.

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER ITB #13
    '87 Honda Prelude si

Dave,

I think that's something they do at the Labor Day dbl, as party of a charity fund-raiser.

Even at $200/day, LRP is a rip! I wouldn't race there if it were 10 min. away! If you NE folks want some good racing, head down to the MARRS series at Summit Point!

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

Originally posted by Bill Miller:
    Dave,

I think that's something they do at the Labor Day dbl, as party of a charity fund-raiser.

Even at $200/day, LRP is a rip! I wouldn't race there if it were 10 min. away! If you NE folks want some good racing, head down to the MARRS series at Summit Point!

"The car" Which car? Your RACE car?? Or some Suburban or such at 30 MPH?

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Jake,

I'd have to check the supps, as I just don't remember. I think it was in a street car, as there's probably too much liability to do it in a race car. Especially since only SS and T probably have passenger seats.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

I haven't thought about this in great detail, but yeah, Suburbans or SUVs in general would probably not be a good idea.

Also either limit the speed, might be difficult to do in a lead follow situation, or simply require helmets, and convertibles to have an appropriate rollbar.

See HPCCC guidelines.

-dave
    8)

Jake, just because it is a SUV, ect. doesn't mean it can't be a rush for passengers. At the Summit Point event I took my Tundra out on the track. We did not exactly do a parade lap! As my wheels were slidding and back end came around, the passenger could have plenty of fun. Although my wife still yelled at me even though we were on a track. (not that I wasn't at all amused by this.)

I had gone to LRP growing up for many years. But seeing it from the car is much, much different. Seeing it from on the track changes a person's perspective and makes things more interesting.

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER ITB #13
    '87 Honda Prelude si

[This message has been edited by gran racing (edited December 01, 2004).]

Having read the content of this thread I agree a solution is needed. The NER has expressed in interest in finding a track. What about Lime Rock? Could it be purchased?
    At 20-40K per weekend an income approach to value could be derived on this facilities value. Given it has an active racing calendar, the rental side of a new track is already covered. Has any asked if the place is for sale?
    On a reciprocal side, do the SCCA workers get paid for a non SCCA weekend at LRP?Perhaps the SCCA (local regions) should charge LRP for the pro events dependent on the pool of well trained scca workers.

------------------
    fvzero

Originally posted by FVZERO:
    Having read the content of this thread I agree a solution is needed. The NER has expressed in interest in finding a track. What about Lime Rock? Could it be purchased?

Maybe, everything is for sale! got 15+ million?

At 20-40K per weekend an income approach to value could be derived on this facilities value.

This price varies according to what organization is renting and what ammenities they require, I see your thought process but do not think it is that simple.

Given it has an active racing calendar, the rental side of a new track is already covered.

This equation varies from year to year, after this years steep price increase some small clubs may drop the track.

On a reciprocal side, do the SCCA workers get paid for a non SCCA weekend at LRP

What do you mean by Non SCCA weekends?
    porsche club, Ferarri or Audi club? many clubs do have to pay in order to get workers to help out. most peak season weekends are taken up by Pro (which has been staffed by SCCA in the past) or SCCA events.

Perhaps the SCCA (local regions) should charge LRP for the pro events dependent on the pool of well trained scca workers.

The track does pay a nominal fee to help defer the cost of having 150 volunteers show to help. the amount they pay usually does not cover all expenses but it is close.

and one last note, sometimes a region will have to wait 5-6 months after an event before they are reimbursed for staffing a Pro event.(what a great deal)!

brian mushnick
    NER club Racing Chair

WOW...! I consider Lime Rock as my home track being only 1.5 hours away...But an increase in entry fees for the same/very little track time....Forget it.... $300 for a race that lasts only 12-15 minutes and a quilifier for 10 minutes.... NO WAy..I am on a super tight budget and to increase the cost $100 a weekend is huge for me. I thought I would never hear myself say this...But I think Lime Rock will be off my schedule... I'll be there.... if I win the lottery....:P

John VanDenburgh
    ITC Rabbit 05