Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A qusetion about racing at Pocono

I think the normal NARRC race should continue as it has in years past, running 2 configurations of the long course.

I think the second weekend would be awesome if:

1: It had NARRC points

2: It was run as suggested having half the field run 1 course 1 day and the other course the other day, and visa versa. Think of the track time!!! and races that were more than 8 laps... wow that would be awesome!!! Not to mention it would basically add 2 more tracks (same location) to the NARRC schedule. 4 very different configurations at 1 location...

3: Almost as important to me is that the events at Pocono need to become consistent. You need to determine the "best" configurations whether it is 1 or 4 and run the event(s) with the same configuration each year so that we as competitors can get better and have our own individual goals. As it is now the configurations change form year to year, and we have no idea if we are getting better or not. I am not opposed to having different configurations at each event in a year, just opposed to having different configurations from year to year.

4: Need to maintain track records... I still have not seen terry or anyone else say whether or not this has been overlooked. Does anyone know what the records are???

5: Need to have more than 1 ambulance at the track... (Probably need at least 3 if you run 2 racetracks at the same time). Last year someone had a heart attack at the track (thankfully they were all right) and the entire event had to shut down for several hours because we (SCCA) were not prepared for any type of medical problems.

6: Don't forget about those trophies

Raymond "I think we are getting somewhere!!!" Blethen

[This message has been edited by RSTPerformance (edited February 11, 2004).]

Jim Pettinato-

We need more people like you... Great thinking outside the box!!!

I don't have anything to do with Tri Region but I would suggest you contact them further as this issue effects you a lot.

Raymond

Originally posted by jimmy p:

My last thing,,, Like my buddy Mike has said,,, give the Pocono guys a break,,, they are good guys.
    A little gruff until you break the ice,,, but good guys.
    Just keep in mind they see ALOT of knucklehead "hotshoes" there every summer. That track works 7 days a week from April until Oct. Usually all 3 courses going all the time.
    Once you get to know them a little they are great guys and will really help you out if you need it..

I guess I was the guy who did major bashing of the Pocono guys. Let me clarify. The 2 guys who work over near NASCAR 1 are great. The rest get there cue from the older guy who works in NASCAR 3.

Quick outline of why I don't trust them and won't work there:

At the Nat'l about 4 years ago we had a FV go well off at turn one (clockwise) he was very far off track so we kept him there. That annoyed the older Pocono guy as he colorfully told me at the end of the session. He then proceed to hard tie the FV at the top of the roll bar. While I was leaning into the car (between the wheels) to try to buckle the driver's lapbelt the Pocono truck took off with the FV in tow. That could have been distasterous but luckily I jumped out of the way and the tow driver stopped. Then the tow driver jumped out and cursed me and the FV driver out for being morons who don't what there doing. BTW, he knows more than we'll ever know because he works NASCAR. What a stock car has in common with a FV besides having 4 wheels I don't know.

Nat'l 2 years ago, I'm at the same station but this time we are running counter clockwise so it's station 10 just before the front straight. The station there is in an impact zone. On the first lap of the FC race we have car impact the barrier protecting our station. We bail, then check on the driver and get him out of the car. He's fine and we decide to keep the car there. After we get him over the barrier the Pocono trucks (2 or 3) and a wrecker drive counter race to our station. We did not ask for them. The next minute or so is complete chaos as Pocono workers are now running around trackside (remember that a full field of FCs and related cars is coming around at speed on lap 2). As the field approaches the Pocono guys decide that the situation is unsafe (because they showed up on their own is the only reason it was unsafe) and take the red flag from our station. As captain I can't allow a red flag to be shown to a field still under green everywhere else or major carnage may occur so I chase the guy down. As I'm doing that another Pocono goon grabs me by the throat and pushes me down to ground. Remeber, all this is occurring while cars are at speed on track and within a span of less than 1 minute. We are able to communicate to control that we need a red and the race is shut down. To top the terrible weekend off the T1 Corvette driver was killed at Devils Elbow the next day nearly taking the workers with him. I was one of those who filled in for those to guys at Devils Elbow in the afternoon. It was not fun in the least.

I do this for fun and don't need to get into fistfights on station. I don't like having to struggle to cover horrendous barriers with a few loose tires to try to provide some protection. I don't like wondering why there are no styrofoam blocks at the track protecting barriers when the region owns a bunch of them. Nor will I risk getting myself, my drivers on track, or my fellow workers injured or killed. I haven't been back to Pocono and won't be back. There are other reasons I won't be back but that's enough venting for now

Regards,

Bob Lindenmuth
    Philly Region
    Nat'l F&C

Hey Bob,
    Those are certainly good reasons not to go back. What a nightmare.

Mark Lapos

I'm an SSM racer, but I searched the IT site looking for insight about racing at Pocono. I found this thread.

I see that the Pocono double regional is on the schedule for May 14 and 15, 2005 as a NAARC date. I am thinking of running this as an alternative to the May 7 Lime Rock date.

I intend to run regionals at Lime Rock in June, August, and possibly October, so I think running Pocono would be a nice change of pace.

I have a few questions:

1) Is anybody from the Northeast planning to go?
    2) Does anyone have further information about course configuration?
    3) In this thread, some suggested running an enduro. Has anyone heard whether an enduro is scheduled?
    4) Assuming the weekend is a double sprint race, any ideas on entry fees?
    5) Is it possible to camp at the track?
    6) Finally, what's the weather like in early May?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Scott,

I can't really address whether any of your fellow SM or SSM drivers will attend. I either run ITS or Historic. But I will try to respond to your other questions.

The course configuration run last year was clockwise, using Nascar 1 & 2, the tunnel turn and then into the infield. (This description is opposite from the way it actually ran). NNJR installed a chicane right before Nascar 2 (?) where the other infield course turned in. This was to keep speed down on the really fast cars. Some liked it, some did not. NNJR ran this configuration both days. Previous years, one day used this configuration, the other day used both road courses and the front and back straights. I don't know what will be done this year.

I don't think an Enduro will be offered. Again, have no first hand information. Someone else on the forum may.

Yes, you can camp at the track. I never have but there are showers available for the drivers.

Fees last year were $300 for both days. My records don't show what a single day cost was. Sorry.

Weather in May at Pocono: Anything and everything is possible. I've seen it snow and sleet, rain, fog, windy, sunny and hot. You need to really come prepared for anything. It can be cold. Last year was pretty nice, with mild temps. The year before was cold and wet one day, dry and sunny the next.

If you haven't driven Pocono before it's worth the entry fee. It can be boring on the banking, but its still fun to let the car run out in top gear.

Hopefully, someone else can add to your questions.

Bill Umstead

Thanks for the response, Bill.

I wasn't interested so much in other Miatas coming to Pocono, as in other racers, especially from New England. Earlier in this thread, there were discussions of low turnout, so I was curious whether the establishment of the Pocono weekend as a NAARC date interested others in attending. Also, it would be good for me confer with some other racers I know about Pocono's quirks, since I have never driven there.

I'll take a look at the maps of the Pocono courses to get a sense of the configuration run last year. The courses are a little confusing.

I can understand how the straights and banking can be a little boring, but it would be fun to drive them, at least once, to get a sense of my car's top end and the drafting effect.

The $300 entry fee is reasonable and about what I expected. Considering that the entry fee for a single regional at Lime Rock will cost between $200 and $300, Pocono is a bargain. Being able to camp is a definite plus.

Thanks again.

The Pocono Double has been a NARRC race for at least the last few years. Low turnout is simply due to the proximity of the event to NER members (IMHO). From all accounts, its a well run event now that the track configuration is pretty static.

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region, R188967
    ITA project SM
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

what about an extended enduro at pocono. maybe a 12 or 24 hour enduro. i think it would be easier to see at night with the cocrete lining the track, plus you can fit alot of cars. what do you think? i will help out as much as i can as it is also my home track.
    john costello

Scott, you can get a quick idea of the Pocono layout from a short in-car video I have on-line here: Pocono National
    The course in the video skips the chicane, which is just before Nascar 1 (banked turn). The chicane was flooded that day.

------------------
    Chris Foley
    www.tangerineracing.com

[This message has been edited by Racer Chris (edited December 14, 2004).]

Thanks, Chris.

I was thinking in-car video would help a lot in understanding the course layout, but Pocono video has been hard to find.

I am very seriously considering racing that weekend. Just have to get permission slips from my wife and my racing budget.

Thanks again.

Originally posted by Bill Umstead:
    Scott,

If you haven't driven Pocono before it's worth the entry fee. It can be boring on the banking, but its still fun to let the car run out in top gear.

Hopefully, someone else can add to your questions.

Bill Umstead
    Wow Bill, I must be doing something wrong, there are a lot of times that I am far from being bored (some verge on scared ...tless) driving on the banks. I think that is one of the best parts, that and the manly man breaking section at the end of devils's elbow going into the infield (when we ran the coarse nascar style 1 & 2)
    Tom Blaney

Originally posted by Scott Koschwitz:
    .......I have a few questions:

1) Is anybody from the Northeast planning to go?
    2) Does anyone have further information about course configuration?
    3) In this thread, some suggested running an enduro. Has anyone heard whether an enduro is scheduled?
    4) Assuming the weekend is a double sprint race, any ideas on entry fees?
    5) Is it possible to camp at the track?
    6) Finally, what's the weather like in early May?

Thanks for any information you can provide.[/B]
    Scot,

I love the track. Even when there are only two cars in my class and Tom B. and Anthony S. ITA cars blow by me like I'm standing still. The straights are long, but are still fun in even my ITC car. Turn one can be a challenge, especially after drafting and trying to pass someone. The infield sections are fast enough and great fun in traffic. The double event makes it worth it as well. Sharing a gargage can also be done to keep the costs down. From Connecticut, I think the trip is even easier than NHIS.

Bob T.
    #25 ITC Datsun 510
    NER

I've watched Chris's video and Pocono does look like a fun track to run.

The infield course looks a little narrow, but not too tight. It looks like there are a couple of second-gear corners [after watching the video again, maybe one?], and that the cars get up to fifth gear, which would be a nice change from the Lime Rock 3-4-3 shifts.

Considering its length, the course runs pretty quickly. Rather than being boring, the straights seem like quick blasts into the banking, and then into the fast, twisty infield course. Pretty cool.

Thanks for the information. I'll definitely try to make this one.

[This message has been edited by Scott Koschwitz (edited December 15, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Scott Koschwitz (edited December 15, 2004).]

Scott, if you want I can send you a DVD with two full length National in-car videos for $5. The other race includes the chicane. They are a bit boring from a racing standpoint since I didn't have someone to race for many of the laps but you will get a good feel for the track. My personal address is on the home page of my site if you're interested.

------------------
    Chris Foley
    www.tangerineracing.com

Chris, I just may take you up on that offer if my plans to attend the Pocono races become more definite. I haven't raced at any other track than Lime Rock, so I could definitely use the study time.

Tom Blaney:

I must post a response to your comment...

you must remember that I have a slow 914 and the banking is fun but not as thrilling as when I first started at Pocono. I agree that when the track ran counter-clockwise, there was a real pucker factor going into devils elbow. I remember my first year racing (I think it was my second race) the course was run CCW, and as I was trying to enter devils elbow, all I could see in my rear view mirrors were two very fast FP spitfires going hammer and tongs and I thought, there is no way in hell they are going to make the corner without collecting me. Needless to say, I took the escape road. They of course, did just fine...

Bill

Tom Blaney:

I must post a response to your comment...

you must remember that I have a slow 914 and the banking is fun but not as thrilling as when I first started at Pocono. I agree that when the track ran counter-clockwise, there was a real pucker factor going into devils elbow. I remember my first year racing (I think it was my second race) the course was run CCW, and as I was trying to enter devils elbow, all I could see in my rear view mirrors were two very fast FP spitfires going hammer and tongs and I thought, there is no way in hell they are going to make the corner without collecting me. Needless to say, I took the escape road. They of course, did just fine...

Bill

sorry about the double post...

Bill,
    You need to convert your teener to FP specs.
    Then Pocono will be a little more exciting.

(BTW, you should wander over to 914club.com once in a while)

------------------
    Chris Foley
    www.tangerineracing.com