Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Lawyers Win Again

I have hear a lot of sides of the MacDonald's case. The Facts are undisputed but the dynamics are sometimes lost in the story.

Several years ago I had a long talk with the lawyer who represented MacDonalds. She said MacDonalds was lucky with the case, the jury according to her was ready to award more than they did when some MacDonalds witness said they were not going to lower the temperature of the hot coffee no matter what.. Well the Jury award was the exact amount of Profit MacDonalds makes on coffee in a single day.

I'm not sure what that means I only point it out as a side lite.

------------------
    Love "the commander"
    Mike Cefalo
    BE SAFE GO FAST HAVE FUN

Given the flavor of McDonald's coffee, I would argue that pouring it on yourself and thus suffering third-degree burns is far preferable to actually drinking it.

Did the McDonald's legal team pursue this line of reasoning during the trial?

In the trial the taste of coffee came up. Cheap cofee only tasts good when it is scalding HOT. Reasoned that's why MacDonalds had it so hot. Who knows what Jury dynamics went on. Jury deliberations are secret by law, so unless the jury tells you what they discussed , you never know.

------------------
    Love "the commander"
    Mike Cefalo
    BE SAFE GO FAST HAVE FUN

Wasn't the awarded amount reduced in the Coffee case???

The final resolution of the case will never be known. But from the court records.

1. The Jury awarded $200,000 for compensatory Damages, Pain Suffering, disfigurement, medical expenses, etc.The victum was found to be 20% at fault and so that amount was reduced to $160,000.

2. The Jury also awarded $2,700,000 in punitive damaged, usually when they find the conduct of the Defendant is reckless, callous and wilfull.

3. The Judge in a action called a remitter reduced that amount to $480,000, or 3x the compensatory damages.

4. The parties settled in a sealed agreement as far as I know.

We have more important things in America to worry about, that comes on Election Day.

Whatever you choice Please Vote.

Wouldn't you like to be one of the estimated 120,000,000 Americans who vote in the upcoming election. I hope you would.

------------------
    Love "the commander"
    Mike Cefalo
    BE SAFE GO FAST HAVE FUN