Thread: First time W/W racing. Going to LRP. Need help!

Default First time W/W racing. Going to LRP. Need help!

I am going to the Regional at LRP next week but have never raced yet so I want to make sure I am ready.

My car hasn't been teched yet. Can this be done at LRP? Can it be done race day(Sat)?

How many people am I allowed to bring?

Also is there a tire guy that can mount and balance wheels right at the track?

Thanks

First off, do you have a regional or novice license?

If the above answer is yes, then this will help you:

Annual tech can be done there, but it is going to be crazy, so you may miss your Qualifying session.

LRP allows three free crew per car, you can pay for additional.

The Hoosier guy is there, but if you have everything beforehand, get them done before you get to the track

What he said!

AND, if you are all set with your paperwork and credentials, go over that car with a fine tooth comb to be sure it can pass tech with flying colors. First priority is all the safety stuff. Get there early! If they have an issue with anything, it will be nearly impossible for you to run and qualify, and I doubt the stewards will allow a guy with zero experience on the track for the race.....

I would suggest that you post your location, and bribe a knowlegeable fellow racer to come over and have a look.

The tire guy should be called first. If you are bringing the tires and the wheels, understand you won't be high on his "to do" list. And you may, or may not have issues in tech if the car is on old crappy street tires while the race rubber is getting mounted.

Do everything possible before you arrive.

Good luck!

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Thanks guys.

Is there any way to get teched prior to the Sat race? Is there any offsite tech locations. I am in the northeast MA area.

What about Friday will they be doing annual tech? It's a school that day.

I do have my regional lic.

My wife is also an SCCA member can she have people come under her membership?

Thanks!!!

[This message has been edited by 0100 (edited June 11, 2004).]

Yes, the school is a great option...BUT, the school guys who need techs help get priority. So, it can be a little frustrating. But if I were yu, i would get there early friday morning. Meet up with an instructor if possible, (should be easy) then get the arrangements made with tech, and use whatever free time you have, following instructors around from corner to corner. Might pick up a tip or two regarding Lime Rock.

Of course, thats presuming you have spare time, tech goes well, etc. Then have your crew up for Saturday.

Your wife can get people in, but only if she enters a car herself.

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Is the tech all day on Friday or just in the AM?

It will be very tough for me to make it there by friday AM. No offsite tech locations?

Also on listing crew members do they have to be an SCCA member? Can I list non SCCA members?

How much is it usually to get extra people beyond the 3, into the pits?

Thanks!

[quote]Originally posted by 0100:
    [B]Is the tech all day on Friday or just in the AM?

download the regional and school supps and see what the posted hours are. you can always contact the chief of tech for the event and make an appointment.

>No offsite tech locations?
    if you want to drag the car to near springfield I will do it. does the car just need an annual or do you need a logbook issued.

>Also on listing crew members do they have to be an SCCA member? Can I list non SCCA members?
    How much is it usually to get extra people beyond the 3, into the pits?

you can have as many crew as you want but you MAY have to pay admission if it is over three. they can be non members but only members can go to grid or pits

dick patullo
    [email protected]

[This message has been edited by dickita15 (edited June 12, 2004).]

Hi Dick, I may email you about doing tech on the car, but looks like Sat at LRP is going to be my only choice due to my work schedual this week.

Can a log bog be issued at tech at the track on Sat? Or am I screwed?

I know you need 3/4 front and rear photos of the car. Should I bring pictures of the car or are these taken by the tech person?

I am in panic mode. Some more questions.

How do you get the truck and trailer into LRP? I have been there before to watch races and went over the bridge. I remember it being a really small bridge.

Please tell me there is another enterence.

Are dogs allowed at the track?

Thanks

Well, you are lucky, as if anyone can help it's Dick.

Getting a logbook will be the trick, esp at a one day regional. What race group are you? (I assume you are in an IT car, ITA is group 6.)

Take your pictures yourself. I doubt tech will, and might even chuckle. (they can find humor in times like that!) A polaroid is OK, but they will fade over time.. or use your digital and print your own. 3" x 5" is fine.

There are other ways in, but most folks use the bridge over the downhill. I have a GMC Sierra pick up and an enclosed trailer, and it's no problem. Others have larger rigs and do fine as well.

I've seen dogs there, but check the supps.

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

tech can take care of you saturday morning. but they are a little rushed first thing in the morning and if you have anything major wrong you will not have much chance to fix it. tech usually opens at 7:30 am and is set up in the center of the a paddock almost to pit out. look for a 20'x20' white tent. try to get the car there as early as possible. remember you can not start a race motor before 9:00 am so you would need to push the car to tech. if you are arriving at the track saturday morning you have to go thru registration first so it will be almost 7:30 when you get to the paddock. one option is to drive the tow rig right to tech. depending on you trailer they may do the ispection right on the trailer. please try to have the car absolutly ready to go before you leave home right down to torqueing the wheels and adding fuel. pump the tires up hard so you just have to bleed of some air and go. you do not need the pictures until your second race. leave the dog home.
    I cross the bridge with my 25' motor home with a 24' enclosed. much longer and I could not make the turn. (leaving I use the wrong lane)
    ok now take a deep breath.
    dick

- No dogs are allowed.

See if you can bribe Dick or someone else to tech your car this week. Bring it to the person's house (or location they choose). Tires - get done before the race.

Especially since this is your first race, you need to get everything done before Sat. Things will be stressful enough without having to worry about all of this other stuff. Worst case, bring the car super early on Sat. If it were me, I might even drive to LRP on Fri. after work (check out the reg. hours on supps to make sure you can get there in time). Then make sure you are in the front of the tech line.

Doing a full tech on a race day for a car that doesn't have a log book can be a bit tough. Tech inspectors have sooo much to do without even doing log books.

So, what car / class will you be racing in?

Best of luck.

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER #13 ITA
    '87 Honda Prelude