Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Run groups esp. ITS

Default Run groups esp. ITS

Steve U thanks for informing on comp board meeting. One issue that has surfaced is run groups. Was wondering why ITS must be paired with ITB? Big difference in speed and has proved to be quite dangerous. Few years back ITS was thrown in with GT, AS or Touring, which was fine. Then we were dodging out the way for faster cars, but fewer wrecks.

I am concerned with this years abnormal number of accidents, and people running cars that could be described as not up to par - resulting in wrecks. Can we address this issue somehow??

Thanks, Russ Jones

I would prefer to run with ITB over American Sedan any day. Last year at the June or July race we were grouped together with AS and it was a mess. ITS cars are fast throught the turns and braking while the AS cars are fast going straight. We all ran about the same lap times making for a real traffic jam.

So far this year the ITB drivers have been great at watching their mirrors and leaving passing room.

Ideally, a class of just ITS cars would be the way to go...maybe someday

Rob Driscoll

Russ,

I hear what you are saying, however I would rather be the overtaking car than the car being overtaken. Per the rules, and in practicality, it is my responsibility to make the safe move - and I would rather have that responsibilty in my hands than someone elses.

I do think it makes for better racing when there is at least 2 class differences in speed on the track. Our tracks are so slow in comparison to Pocono, Daytona, etc. the speed differential isn't THAT much. That is why ITS, AS and GT3, etc. run together at Pocono.

The NHIS crash in our run group wasn't caused by speed differential, just by a loose car in a critcal area, could have been two ITS cars...the crashes at LRP were:

2 ITS cars getting together
    An ITB car on its own
    An ITS car in it's own oil
    An ITS car sliding into an ITB car that had spun on it's own...

Again, I hear ya...

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    06 ITS RX-7
    FlatOut Motorsports
    New England Region
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

Rob, after reading your post I will agree with you about AS, so I retract AS from my previous post. My point was to lessen or try and balance the amount of cars in our group (and other groups). Since ITS and ITB are so popular we seem to be maxed out. More importantly, people need to show up with good quality race cars with tires that are reasonably fresh. I witnessed many cars that were totally out of control, that were both not tuned or with inferior equipment. You cant run a quality race car on the absolute edge with other cars zig zagging all over the track when your lapping.

Originally posted by bmw#29:
    My point was to lessen or try and balance the amount of cars in our group (and other groups). Since ITS and ITB are so popular we seem to be maxed out.
    Now THAT is a tough one. I think the Region is looking hard at every group since the SSM/SM class(es) are making this a real issue.

Can't wait to have you back Russ!!!!

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    06 ITS RX-7
    FlatOut Motorsports
    New England Region
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

I gotta say that keeping the number of run groups down has got to be priority #1. I'll run my ITA car with GT1 and ITC if I have to if it helps us get out of the situation we had at the last LRP event.

"Since ITS and ITB are so popular we seem to be maxed out. More importantly, people need to show up with good quality race cars with tires that are reasonably fresh. I witnessed many cars that were totally out of control, that were both not tuned or with inferior equipment. You cant run a quality race car on the absolute edge with other cars zig zagging all over the track when your lapping."

I am trying not to read into this too much here...I'll assume you are talking about some very lacking cars.

Keep in mind this is IT and is an entry into racing for many people. I can't afford to run fresh Hoosiers all of the time.

Out of control cars - you are right. The drivers need to be smart and not do stupid things.

By the way...how many cars does ITA typically run? A lot! The overall run groups need to be reviewed by the various regions - I know NER is taking a look at them...

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER #13 ITA
    '87 Honda Prelude

We have a run group that is all the IT cars and another that is the regional Mazda group (SM SRX7). The other run groups (a total of seven usually) are all national classes. The National and regional cars are not put in the same run groups unless the car counts are low and groups combined, especially on a reg/nat weekend. It seems the national class guys don't want us to be the spoilers in their races.

how many IT cars do you have total then? What region? Just curious. We typically have 30 plus ITA cars alone. Probably about 15 - 20 ITB. Not sure ITS but a bunch.

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER #13 ITA
    '87 Honda Prelude

Originally posted by jhooten:
    We have a run group that is all the IT cars and another that is the regional Mazda group (SM SRX7). The other run groups (a total of seven usually) are all national classes. The National and regional cars are not put in the same run groups unless the car counts are low and groups combined, especially on a reg/nat weekend. It seems the national class guys don't want us to be the spoilers in their races.
    sounds like your from texas
    we don't run regional nationals so the minnimum requirments of a national points race do not apply.
    dick

Originally posted by bmw#29:
    My point was to lessen or try and balance the amount of cars in our group (and other groups).
    as jake alluded to track time and number of cars in a group are inversley propotional

dick

Yep, from the land of year round racing, Texas. We will have from 20 to 30 cars in the IT group and from 40 to max capacity for the Mazda group. I have seen 55 SMs alone take the start.

Our group is usually about 6 SP, 9 ITS, 10 ITA, 3 ITE, and several BG if memory serves me.

ITS will get smaller and ITA will get bigger next year with the Neons reclass. And I may make the jump to ITE because the 240s are killing my poor 85 Supra.

Having lived and raced in Texas for many years before moving to the Northeast (long story...) I can say with confidence that you guys really have no problems in this regard.

Texas tracks are a lot larger, allowing more cars on at a time. Our biggest problems come at Lime Rock, which is a 1.53-mile circuit, only allowing 40 cars at a time. We dodged the Spec Miata bullet this year only by chance: we had 57 SM entries but the Northeast group has two SM-related classes. Fortunately, they got split up into separate race groups and everyone got to race.

We are also experiencing rapid growth in ITS and ITA, but yet to have experienced a growth in the IT2-compatible cars: Neons, 4-cyl Nissans, 2-liter-ish Hondas, etc. As these cars get moved to ITA, I predict we'll see a rapid growth in their participation numbers. Whether that results in increased entries overall, or a cannibalization from other classes, remains to be seen (no predictions from me, there.)

I miss Texas, especially the February Double National (imagine: racing in February!) but I certainly don't miss being out on an asphalt/concrete paddock with air temps at 110 degrees. I remember races out at Big Spring and Ardmore at airport circuits where the only thing within 150 miles to block the sun and wind was the side of your car...(imagine: comfortable temperatures in July!)

GA

I agree, ITS and ITA fields are geting larger each year. I would like to see ITB and ITC moved together, as was done at 2003 NARRC. Most fun I have had all year. Speed differential is not as great. You could also add other classes like SSB and SSC, which tend to have a small number of entrants, at the regional level at least.

Bob

[This message has been edited by rbt510 (edited May 25, 2004).]

I agree with Bob ! I had a blast running with the ITB cars. I didn t seem that we got in the way too much and we had an awesome race with a bunch of C cars together. What do you ITB guys think? And can/will this happen again?
    John ITC Rabbit 05

This sounds great coming from a person that currently races in ITA with ITC and may be in ITB in '05.

But where would ITA go? Can't combine it with ITS. Realistically I think ITA & ITC should stay grouped together - 30 plus ITA cars and about 5 ITC cars. What, about 15 - 20 ITB cars.

The real issue is with the other classes.

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER #13 ITA
    '87 Honda Prelude

Originally posted by gran racing:
    But where would ITA go? Can't combine it with ITS. Realistically I think ITA & ITC should stay grouped together - 30 plus ITA cars and about 5 ITC cars. What, about 15 - 20 ITB cars.
    [/B]
    Dave,
    I thought the main concern was speed differential, and secondly growing entrants in some classes. ITA can run by themselves, as can ITS. The 5 or 6 ITC cars cause poor racing for the 30 ITA cars because of speed diff. ITB and ITC are closer in speed. They can make up a 20 to 30 car field, add SSB and SSC to thin out some of the other crowded groups.
    Bob

[This message has been edited by rbt510 (edited May 25, 2004).]

I run in the SSM/SM mess. I see a few things.
    1. IF SM/SSM ran as SM only then the slower SM/SSM cars could be paired with ITS based on speed The downside is that because of the nature of the class, those arem't underprepared cars. bit rather underprepared drivers. so to speak. Perhaps, when SSM disappears the slower cars can be mixed in with a class that will help solve this, but I don't think that is an immediate solution.
    2. There ARE too many cars in the IT/SM classes for the nubmer of run groups that we are being given. This leads me to the point that will make sense here, but I think will cause major issues for the SCCA.
    3. The open wheel categories seem to have far fewer cars on the track at any given time than we do. It would seem logical to combine some of those race groups. However, I think that by nature, the open wheel classes are significantly more dangerous, and perhaps it is a good idea for SCCA racing to have fewer cars on track in those classes. From a pragmatic sense (and this isn't the only reason for this) I think that putting as many open wheel cars on the track as we do SM cars would lead indirectly to an increase in insurance rates, and thus an increase in entry fees.

Perhaps the solution is to work with the sports racer and open wheel guys to put together a set of groupings that will allow the open wheel cars to run safely, but yet in fewer run groups, such as FA, FC, FM, FF, CSR, DSR, FF, and CFF, NCF, SRF, FV, F5.

One of the big issues that I see is that the regions seem stuck on keeping the Formula Ford based cars togehter, rather than using them to fill holes in the open wheel groups, as they can really run with both

Just my opinon.

Bob,
    The speed difference between ITA and ITC has never been a problem. Besides, the ITC guys are usually midpack in the ITA field anyways. Now the issue with ITS and ITB - can't speak about that, not really sure.

I would love to see more room for IT cars. But as it currently stands, we already have plenty of run groups to fit a single day event in. How many national races are there at LRP each year? Maybe (as someone else thought of) make the regionals restricted?

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER #13 ITA
    '87 Honda Prelude

Dave, you just posted something quite interesting. Our races are Regional, and we and not invited to Nationals. I notice Spec Racers and other open wheels National cars attend our Regional races. This gives them a much bigger schedule and limits ours. Could it be time to discontinue this trend and make Regionals truly Regionals.