Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NER Club Racing Board meeting

Originally posted by RKramden:
    There already is one. It's called the "Entry Fee".

Part of your entry fee goes to buying lunch for the workers and the "worker goodies", which I wish the region would do away with.
    Why would you want to do away with worker goodies?

------------------
    Enjoy,
    Bill

Options:

- Make it / keep it as a part of the entry fees. OR Keep it as a volunteer donation.

Manditory donation? Oh, got it...from the racing lawyer. (Just teasing)

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER #13 ITA
    '87 Honda Prelude

I don't have time to read everything, and I wasn't going to post, but....

If you think that we should get rid of the worker lunches and the worker goodies, I SERIOUSLY THINK WE NEED TO GET RID OF YOU. (Unless you have some sort of better idea that would show better apriciation, and if you have that idea, please share it)

Come on guy/girl... These people volunteer more time than you probably spend working in your overpaid job. They deserve a lot more than they get.

Raymond

Maybe we should have a tip jar at impound???

Raymond

How much for cams?

What do the workers want? I would love to hear some ideas from them. Of course appreciation, but what types of things / rewards would they like? Sometimes what we think someone else wants isn't really what drives them. Money? I'm not 100% sure that is what motivates them. (I am not against doing things for them that involves money)

Hey, maybe save the funds and give the winner a paid trip to Canada for F1? Or a weekend get away on Cape Cod. A gift certificate for a nice dinner for the worker and another person. Just ideas.

Might be nice to do something other then $50 cash or even $100 cash. Don't know...

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER #13 ITA
    '87 Honda Prelude

Originally posted by EV:
    Why would you want to do away with worker goodies?
    Not all of them, just the cheap "trinkets" that get given out at each race. I dont want any more plastic flashlights, I dont want a cheap plastic poncho, I dont want a windshield screen, I dont want another fanny pack ( but the flat-out ones were rather nicer than the rest :-) ).

I get one, my wife gets one, and we have a room full of useless junk in our house. (and a collection of New York Region glasses that covers a span of years.

What I had proposed was give out a lunch only ticket in addition the current "worker bucks".

I dont go to the races because of the giveaways. Or the $14 I get each weekend. I just like the racing.

Ray:

I started working at races back at Thompson, I've been the Tech Chief, the Chief Starter, the Chief of Pits and the Chief of Sound Control, and I remember when you were still riding things that had three wheels. Matter of fact, I started working at SCCA events before you were born.

BTW, the idea of giving workers a day at a HPDE event was mine.

RKramden-

OK-

Your all better... you gave ideas

I didn't like the idea you gave to just get rid of everything, you didn't mention before replacing it with something ese.

Raymond

Originally posted by RKramden:
    Not all of them, just the cheap "trinkets" that get given out at each race. I dont want any more plastic flashlights, I dont want a cheap plastic poncho, I dont want a windshield screen, I dont want another fanny pack ( but the flat-out ones were rather nicer than the rest :-) ).

I get one, my wife gets one, and we have a room full of useless junk in our house. (and a collection of New York Region glasses that covers a span of years.

What I had proposed was give out a lunch only ticket in addition the current "worker bucks".

I dont go to the races because of the giveaways. Or the $14 I get each weekend. I just like the racing.

Ray:

I started working at races back at Thompson, I've been the Tech Chief, the Chief Starter, the Chief of Pits and the Chief of Sound Control, and I remember when you were still riding things that had three wheels. Matter of fact, I started working at SCCA events before you were born.

BTW, the idea of giving workers a day at a HPDE event was mine.

That's better, you have been vindicated. I was getting ready to jump down your throat.

I agree the worker goodies are sometimes lame. Some regions (mine included) don't have a worker bucks program. Not that I am complaining, but boy was I surprised when I went to a SARRC event and they gave me a punch card to redeem some of the event related expenses! Once a year or so, we do get something pretty nice. Two years ago it was a jacket that I still see around the paddock on cool mornings.

I encourage all drivers to contribute to the worker fund as is possible. In the DC region we are lucky to have a dedicated crew, but it may not stay that way if we don’t show better appreciation of those who spend their money so you can play safe. It might not be a bad idea to put in some time too.

------------------
    Enjoy,
    Bill

"BTW, the idea of giving workers a day at a HPDE event was mine."

That's a great idea!!!
    ... but does the SCCA do HPDE events? (head scratch)

-dave, who would pay to do HPDEs with the SCCA

Originally posted by emwavey:
    "BTW, the idea of giving workers a day at a HPDE event was mine."

That's a great idea!!!
    ... but does the SCCA do HPDE events? (head scratch)

-dave, who would pay to do HPDEs with the SCCA
    My region has run two of them but, unfortunatly, they were run by Road Racing stewards. They couldn't switch their minds into "how to run a HPDE" mode, and ran it as a regional. It was painfully clear that they didn't consider it any different than a Drivers school, which it isn't. The result was wasting about half the track time.

The suggestion I made was to contract the job out to one of the local HPDE operations, that happens to be run by a region member. The timeline that they run is much tighter, better organized, and a better experience for the student. The instructors you get are all the same as at a local SCCA drivers school, so the quality is fairly close.

( Opinion: SCCA drivers schools teach you how to race in a SCCA event, while the pro schools and HPDE operations teach you how to drive their (or your) cars and not crash. Two different things.)