Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: NHIS Results ???

I think Psychology Today would love to do an article on them!!

------------------
    Jeff L
    #74 ITB GTi

Originally posted by JLawton:
    I had been battling Dave Austin for several laps. On the second to last lap, we ran side by side up from the bowl, through the back. I finally got ahead of him in 10 for fourth. He went wide, tapped me in the rear quarter and I spun to the outside of the track where another car (not sure who) almost ripped the nose off my car.

After reading your post, I looked back through my video to review the spin. As the VIDEO shows,
    [list]The angle of your fender shows that you came across my nose

By the time I hit my brakes, your whole car was across my nose. That is when I caught your rear quarter.

Lastly, the car that came across your nose was a white BMW ITS car. Sorry, I didn't catch a number. I hope this gives a clearer picture of what happened.

Dave
    ITB#1

Not that I want to continue the debate........but I will!!

I have a nice black donut that is on my rear fender that could have been made only by side to side contact. Beleive me, I felt the impact before the spin!! It was probably better that I was out ahead, or we both would have ended up in the grass.

------------------
    Jeff L
    #74 ITB GTi

I have a nice black donut that is on my rear fender that could have been made only by side to side contact. Beleive me, I felt the impact before the spin!! It was probably better that I was out ahead, or we both would have ended up in the grass.
    [/B]
    Jeff, I am in 100% agreement with you. There was side to side contact. The video shows that.

But, the donut on your car couldn't have happened if you were"ahead" of me as your original post suggests. Was the donut caused by my front or rear tire? If the contact occurred as you originally stated, there would have been no mark on your side, but a pushed in rear quarter panel.

Look at my picture again. I slowed down enough to leave you room on the left. There is 1 lane + to the left of my car.

Lastly, I am still reviewing my video to determine who that white ITS BMW was, since he/she isn't fessing up in this thread. If I can determine the number I will share that with you offline. That car clearly didn't brake when you came across the track.

I hope you are back on the track in time for Lime Rock!!

Dave
    ITB#1

Originally posted by dickita15:
    7th overall 1st in ITA Lite
    LOL! I'm going to have to go after that coveted ITA Lite title at LRP on the 8th! Maybe I should get some letters made up...

[This message has been edited by Jake (edited April 27, 2004).]

The BMW you speak of is a former NERRC champion who got caught up in the mess. I wouldn't speculate too much on his fault unless you were in his shoes. He is one of the cleanest racers you will meet.

It looks like you guys may have been just out of his site line if he was at 100% coming through turn 10. (My conjecture)

Not placing blame, just pointing out, as you guys have above, that everyone has an interpetation of each situation - even if you are involved. Sometimes it takes video from behind to really figure it out.

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    06 ITS RX-7
    FlatOut Motorsports
    New England Region
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

Originally posted by DaveITB1:
    ...I looked back through my video to review the spin. As the VIDEO shows...
    How about making the whole video available, Dave, instead of just a single frame? That, coupled with the sound, your line, and other points of view, might go a long way towards resolving this public debate...

GregA

Dear Dave ITB 1
    This is the white BMW talking. I dont know who you are but you are so out of line I want to vomit. "Why he didn't brake" you ask..are you a F---ing moron, I followed those two cars throughout the backfield watching them bump and rub around the corner down the hill and as they entered the straight(keeping my distance knowing what was in the cards). As they settled on the straight low and off the racing line, off the pace, I went for a SAFE pass. As I was making the pass, they again rubbed, the outside car struck the inside , which in turn set the rabbit into a spin. For your information smartass, both my feet where in (that means one foot on the brake and the other on the clutch in case you dont know). The rabbit slid across the track and ripped my rear end off. Their stupid little battle for second to last place cost me $1600 in repairs and a race next week at Lime Rock. Next time you go blaming fellow racers, do your homework, or better yet close your mouth.

------------------
    Doug
    NER.org
    the16v.com
    briansgarage.com

Just for the record, Doug's picture above is NOT the white BMW in question. We are talking about an ITS car in this case.

RJ, let us know if we can help get you back before LRP.

Everyone has their interpretations! I also know Jeff L. (yellow VW) is a clean driver. We need some video

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    06 ITS RX-7
    FlatOut Motorsports
    New England Region

correct Andy, the rest of the images in the series show the S car already in the grass to avoid the incident, then the contact with the Rabbit in the LR.

The incar must be pretty intense

(chirp...chirp...chirp...chirp...)

Thanks for the suggestion Greg and Andy,

I'll try to capture the video segment, starting from the downhill. Do quicktime mpeg's play on this BB? If not, I can email it to interested parties.

Dave

Dave if you would like to email me the mpg or qt file I will host it on my site

------------------
    Doug
    NER.org
    the16v.com
    briansgarage.com

I have one other thing to add to this mess, I meant to find the driver of the #1 ITB car. I am not blaming you for my lack of winning the ITS race that rests solely on my shoulders, but you need to know when the leaders are coming through. I also am sympathetic to everyone's race on the track and don't like to effect anyone's race as we come through the field, but you greatly effected my position by clearly not seeing me passing you exiting turn six. I could tell you couldn't see that I was up to your door as we were approaching the left side curb at the tree and instead of being forced to run all four wheels off the track or have contact I hit the brakes hard consequently allowing the second place driver to get by. So I ask in a nice way, just be aware of what is going on around you, and I know this was a tough situation because you were in your own race with two other cars when we approached but you have to see us.

The corner workers do a great job waving that blue flag with a yellow strip and they were waving it.

Lastly, the ITS BMW you speak of is one of the best racers I have had a chance to run with. He runs clean and smart as do most of the ITS guys at the front of the pack.

------------------
    Nick Leverone
    04 ITS Mazda Rx-7

I have one other thing to add to this mess, I meant to find the driver of the #1 ITB car. I am not blaming you for my lack of winning the ITS race that rests solely on my shoulders, but you need to know when the leaders are coming through. I also am sympathetic to everyone's race on the track and don't like to effect anyone's race as we come through the field, but you greatly effected my position by clearly not seeing me passing you exiting turn six. I could tell you couldn't see that I was up to your door as we were approaching the left side curb at the tree and instead of being forced to run all four wheels off the track or have contact I hit the brakes hard consequently allowing the second place driver to get by. You then forced me into the cones before pit in as I passed you heading onto the front straight. So I ask in a nice way, just be aware of what is going on around you, and I know this was a tough situation because you were in your own race with two other cars when we approached but you have to see us.

The corner workers do a great job waving that blue flag with a yellow strip and they were waving it.

Lastly, the ITS BMW you speak of is one of the best racers I have had a chance to run with. He runs clean and smart as do most of the ITS guys at the front of the pack.

------------------
    Nick Leverone
    04 ITS Mazda Rx-7

Hey Nick,

I found Jeff after the race, but didn't find you b/c I wasn't sure which car it was. I try to follow the racers etiquette to find racers after an event about a bump, a cutoff, or even a great move. I remember that corner, and I'm sorry. There were a couple of ITB's on my tail at the time and I was battling them for 3rd position. For the past 3 years that I've raced in this group , I've yielded to oncoming ITS cars when possible. (I even wave the Blethens and the Volvos - and they are in my class). Prior to ITB, I drove in E-Prod and had to contend with GT and AS cars coming up on me 2-3X's as fast. I, unfortunately, am cursed with a race budget that gives me a car that runs midpack in ITB. But I'm OK with that. I've never intentionally impeded leaders of a race. I've always been happy to race against that group of cars that are about as fast as me. That, in my interpretation, is Club Racing. As for the white ITS BMW, I agree that he is a clean racer - I've never said otherwise. In the few races when I had to sit out a race due to a break in qualifying, I'd watch our race and root him on to victory (no offense, but he is a fellow BMW racer). Nick, I look forward to meeting you in person in the near future. I got into racing for the thrill and to meet like-minded people that share the passion.

Dave

On the other hand, I'd like to tip my hat to Tim Mullen, who went literally out of his way to let me by.

I was pedaling my little toy car as hard as I could, with a BMW E36 chasing my tail like a sailor on shore leave. Tim did a great job of self-preservation by stepping aside and letting me through. I'm sure the nearly-out-of-control squealing of my tires had a little to do with that, but oh well...

Unfortunately, he let the BMW through, too, but I get that's only fair...

Greg

Originally posted by grega:
    [B]I was pedaling my little toy car as hard as I could, with a BMW E36 chasing my tail like a sailor on shore leave.Greg[/B
    Future 'A' car? Righhhhttt

[This message has been edited by moto62 (edited April 30, 2004).]

Here is the contact, as captured by my video, starting from the downhill.

My thanks to Doug from the16v.com for hosting it on his site.

http://the16v.com/media/ner/NHIS10spin.mov

Dave