Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any idea on Pre Reg for the April event at NHIS

Stephen - you got my vote. I'm reluctant to ever take an opinion on the threads anymore because of the remarks. I'll still post, but I keep my opinions to myself now. I think some people should read aloud what they write before they hit the submit key. It's the tone of the writing, not what people say.

Cheers,

------------------
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITS RX7
    BigSpeed Racing
    [email protected]
    NNJR

I am really sorry to post butt… here goes….

How does this discussion have anything to do with the topic heading??? No idea but someone did call my bro lame, so I must post a reply in support of my bro!!! Sorry for continuing the off topic discussion.

So…

How does "Do not read any furhter if you are looking to argue" = 'Do not read any further unless you agree with me...'

How does someone posting their thoughts on a class (both negative and positive) = getting called lame?

How does “We just build 2 this year as well and I would say that they cost about $12K out the door IF you have a good solid motor” = justification to sell a used well-beaten SM for over $10,000. (IMO any front running car no matter what class has to be “well beaten” or should I say well used otherwise it could have been that much faster)

How does “In all honesty I completly disagree but I don't have a ton of knowledge about the cars and I admit that first and formost” = someone claiming that they do know everything”

I look over the previous posts and the one thing I take out of it is my brother is right about one thing. The people that are building and selling these cars and “spec” parts for these cars are making a fortune. The market for SM unfortunately has not gone where initially intended IMO. I think that the class was supposed to be an inexpensive feeder class into SCCA. It has become a very expensive place for people to race in SCCA, and I find that it is actually taking drivers away from other classes rather than feeding them into them.

I also agree with my brother that as long as people are willing to pour money into the class and as long as other organizations such as the recent circle track ventures continue to use the SM model then the class will continue to grow, and become more expensive. I think it is great SCCA can claim SM as a "fad" they started. I also agree that it is a great class, I wish I had the “25,000” it takes to win .

I try to give constructive criticism and I think my brother also does. I also try to post the positives that I see in something or someone’s opinions. We try to post our opinions on how we think things can be done or how things could be improved. We try to support the idea that someone does not have to pour thousands and thousands of dollars into racing to have fun or even to win. $$$ are the barrier to SCCA and I think that this site does not help change that perspective and encourage others to race. The people that post on this site seem to be the “big spenders” who do not encourage fun racing mid to back pack while not spending a lot of money. The site does however relay a true fact that if you want to win you will likely need to spend big $$$ unless you can do a lot of work on your own like we have.

In Spec Miata, is it illegal to run stock parts rather than the spec’ed parts listed? Do you HAVE to spend $12,000 to build a legal car or can you spend less if you are just looking to have some fun?

Raymond Blethen

PS: here are some responses to a couple of quotes, just to keep things exciting J

“Can you buy a worn-out, tired, poorly-built Spec Miata so that you can go on the track and tell your girlfriend you're a real race car driver?” For all racers out there I will take that as an insult and clarify that I don’t know anyone in SCCA that races to look cool in front of a girl. That is a LAME comment. People will race a car that is “poorly- built (your opinion) and worn out” to have fun, that is what regional racing is intended for.

“I suppose you could look around for used suspension parts to put on your Spec Miata, but Geezuz, man, how cheap-ass can someone possibly get?” We get as “cheep ass” as we possibly can get and it feels good that we spent $10,000 less than most people do in IT building a car and we built 2 cars. It feels good that we run on tires for at least 4 weekends and I still run up front (the ARRC we went with a truck load of used tires, I think Hoosier felt bad and gave us 1 new old tire that we ran that on the outside front). It fees good that us cheep-ass people still finished 1st and 2nd in the NARRC, 1st in the NERRC and 3rd at the ARRC (with only 10 or so prior laps at the track and a falling apart bent car)?

Edited: took out some "hobby-stock" coments...

[This message has been edited by RSTPerformance (edited March 22, 2004).]

Until you wear the same shoes, and are racing the same car as everyone else, you really have NO comparision as to what it is like to be in SM. Imagine 40 Audis out there at the same time. Enough of this, move on or come join the fun. dave

The tread has been hi-jacked...

It is obviously close to the beginning for us Northeasterners because everyone is getting a little touchie. Deep breaths. OK.

I can produce receipts that total OVER $5500 - just to get the SM to racing condition (not including donor or cage). Yes, that includes braided brake lines, new bushings and ball joints - but aren't those things we all should be doing when building a racecar? Obviously the amount of replacement parts you need depends on the condition of the donor car - it's the pay me now or pay me later theory.

And the biggest thing you have to remember is that 99% of IT car builders have NO IDEA what the true total costs are in building their vehicle. Why? You have to save every little receipt over the coarse of the entire build. You have to place a value on the stuff you swap for etc.

The nature of the class and the rules is such that you can't SLOWLY build one, you have to have all the parts on there so the initial outlay is fast and painful. Simple as that!

I think that the issues came when Stephen said, point blank, that if you pay more than $10K for a SM, you got taken. That may have gotten the hair on the necks of some to stand up. Kind of like me saying if you paid more than $3000 for an ITB Audi...

All we really need is to get to the track so we can do what we really like to do - race and not TYPE.

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    06 ITS RX-7
    FlatOut Motorsports
    New England Region
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

I can agree with that Andy... $10,000 for a decent SM car is the market value, and it was probably to much for stephen to say that "you got taken." Whether or not a SM car is worth $10,000 is up to each individual, and we have to be open on that.

To me, and most other independent people (IE: not getting "dady's" money) in thier early to mid 20's that is to much money. I think it is disapointing that the cost is $10,000 for a new/used or whatever SM car. I guess the good thing is it is a very good and compeditive class that will have even more growth in the future than it already has.

I think it is time to create a real cost effective closed wheel class for newbies!!!

Raymond Blethen

Sorry to get back on-topic, the SM topic is near and dear to my heart I can confirm the $10K+ price for a well built car. The draw is not that the class is cheap, but that it's easy to build a competitive car without prior experience. It's a recipe that almost anyone can follow..

Oh, I almost forgot.. The NHIS April school and race have been posted to the registration site.

Bill

[This message has been edited by BillW (edited March 23, 2004).]

for gods sakes,dont repair anything or use any thing from "the bone yard" you might get caught in impound not using specparts
    ha-ha
    dan-o