Thread: Wanting to buy an engine hoist...

Default Wanting to buy an engine hoist...

I have a parts car that I would like to get rid of but keep the engine. My engine can't last for ever...(190,000 miles and still going)

So, with this in mind I would really like to purchase one. Plus this way I can take my time getting the engine out. I really don't know what I'm doing, but will take a bunch of photos and label everything. Besides, it is just my parts car.

I looked at a few web sites / catalogs. They have some pretty decent prices. BUT, the shipping adds another $85. Anyone know of any places in CT or MA that sells them at a good price? ($200 or less) I would buy a used one if I could find one...

(I have a pick-up truck, so delivery isn't a problem)

Thanks.

gran racing,

Just did a quick search and found these three for sale (I do not know your exact location, so I am not sure if this will be of any help)

ENGINE HOIST,
    2 ton lifts, 8' H, folds up for easy storage, boom extends, large solid steel wheels, BRAND NEW w/warranty, delivery possible, Guaranteed lowest price, asking $150 will beat any advertised price. (888) 202-9161 (4X) [email protected]. toll free

ENGINE HOIST,
    4000 pound, brand new, never used, $170 OBO. (203) 934-3708 Roger . West Haven

ENGINE HOIST,
    2 ton, folding model, 8 ton Ram, new in box, $185. (203) 239-7074. North Haven

Hey, thanks!!!! I really appreciate that!

I looked at eBay motors, but all were very far away. Any of the ones you listed will work for me.

(located in Newington, CT - near Hartford)

Sams Club or BJ's used to have a good deal on one.

Jack

And whatever you do, get the folding one if you don't have an aircraft hanger for space! Some fold better than others.

Maybe your NAPA buddy would give you "special pricing"?

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

So, anything else I should be looking for? I hopefully won't be using it very often, so it isn't necessary to get a great one.

Folding - definately a good idea esp. with a one car garage.

4,000 lb rating.

Anything else?

(I looked at NAPA's site but didn't see that they sell them. Maybe he could get it from a catalog.)

itbgti,
    where did you find those listings? Sounds like you have a good resource.

Thanks

Eric
    NER SM #12

Jack nailed it. BJ's & Sam's Club auto/tire departments may have them or can get them. Got one for under $200...granted, it was 8-10 years ago, but technology in engine cranes hasn't changed much. And, since it's local, shipping is paid for by Mrs. Hands and her 10 daughters, with help from Mr. Spine.

Just find one that'll lift 750-1000 lbs. with the boom ALL the way out (should reach at least 4 ft.). So equipped, you'll be able to handle the biggest V8 block you can find.

Originally posted by gran racing:
    So, anything else I should be looking for? I hopefully won't be using it very often, so it isn't necessary to get a great one.

Anything else?
    length of reach. with the first one i had we had to rig an extention to do a rx7. extenting the boom lowers the load rating. luckily a rx7 motor is pretty light.
    dick

www.bargainnews.com

They are a great New England (mostly CT) resource for just about anything. I search weekly under the tools section.

used is always best but try

www.harborfreight.com

free shipping on orders over $50.

Most Autozone's actually have hoists for sale. You just have to ask because they usually don't have them out.

Also, what kind of car is it? A lot of FWD cars it's actually easier to go out the bottom.

s

It is a FWD Honda Prelude.

Going out the bottom requires access to a lift; something that I don't have access to.

Wouldn't I still need an engine hoist even if I went out the bottom?

If you can go out the bottom it is usually easier. It does require getting the front bumper up a ways, but remember once the engine/trans & front suspension are out, the car doesn't weigh so much.

Think about how the car was assembled by Honda. That's the easiest way to take it apart. (provided you're willing/planning to dissassmble it that far).

I'll second the harbor freight unit. I have the unit that folds up and have used it many times. Free shipping, and no sales tax if your out of state.

Just bought one at LOTs and More in South Windsor on sale for $99
    I haven't set it up yet, still in the box.
    The display model looked OK -

Originally posted by racerdrew43:
    Just bought one at LOTs and More in South Windsor on sale for $99
    Did they have engine stands as well? I never imagined that place would have heavy duty stuff - it's near the JCPenney outlet isn't it?

Diane

Just bought one for my son for christmas from Sams for about $70. Folds up, capacity of 1500 pounds, and has GoodYear logos on it(not the reason for purchasing it).

Good racing.

Bill

Hi Diane,
    Its on sullivan avenue, almost across the street from the old Dairy Queen. It used to be a package store (a hundred years ago).
    They have all kinds of things to be interested in over there, I would say worth the trip. I think they had a "light weight engine stand for around $45 or so and a beefier one for around $60.

I bought my engine stand from Sam's though and got the Goodyear stickers. I'm pretty sure they add 4-5 HP to the engine.

Drew

Thanks Drew! That's not where I was thinking of but I'll try and check it out soon, sounds like a neat place.

Diane