Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pix?

Default Pix?

Did anyone get Roz pix from the Pig Roast yet or was he not even there? His schedule still says "tentative".

My only event this year, I was counting on *something* (and hopefully not a flag shot)

Thanks,

Diane

Haven't seen a pic from Roz all year
    Ray

He was there...I crashed right in front of him on Saturday, at the Downhill Left in the rain. "Hi, Roz...hope I was in focus...".

Haven't gotten a thing from him in the last year, despite requests, and I'm a 'paying customer' too. Don't know what's going on with his stuff.

I did get pictures from the Aug 8th race at LRP. Nothing since then.

I received several pictures from Roz. I saw him in Big Bend Saturday.
    Tim

Wow, I figured everything was going out as it should since no one was complaining. Oh well, I guess there is still hope then.

Diane

I was also at the Fun One this year. Yesterday, I received some pictures from Roz. It must be quite a job to organize and mail pictures for over a hundred competitors at an event. With snow and ice around me, I was happy to get them.

Bill Emery
    Glen Region
    ITA#23

He sent me an email a couple of weeks ago and was *not* at Pig Roast.

Diane

I received 1 picture this year from Roz. And it wasn't even of "my" car.

Jeremy

I got..... a bill!

Something about sending a bunch of money for some static photos I didn't ask for....

(I wish he would take pics on race day, not the staged looking shots he always sends.)

And I don't appreciate him requiring me to look thru his stack of stuff, unrelated, about his other businesses, then reading the fine print, then packing it all up and sending (and paying!) his prints back! Can I send HIM a bill for my time??

No? Ok, then no payment will be made....

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Originally posted by lateapex911:
    I got..... a bill!

Something about sending a bunch of money for some static photos I didn't ask for....

(I wish he would take pics on race day, not the staged looking shots he always sends.)

And I don't appreciate him requiring me to look thru his stack of stuff, unrelated, about his other businesses, then reading the fine print, then packing it all up and sending (and paying!) his prints back! Can I send HIM a bill for my time??

No? Ok, then no payment will be made....

I am in much agreement here. If I didn't ask for it I don't want and am not paying for it. If it was sent to me with out asking it must be a gift.

It is funny because there is this new thing called digital photography. You can take pics and post them on a website and all the racers can go home at look at these pics and say wow I like that one I think I will purchase it. Neat concept. It also saves the racer and the photographer alot of time money and aggrivation.

------------------
    Crazy Joe
    #7 ITS pilot

Roz does not travel to NHIS unless he is requested to shoot the photo trophies as well.
    he was not used for trophies this year by NER which might explain his absence.

Brian

Originally posted by dominojd:
    It is funny because there is this new thing called digital photography. You can take pics and post them on a website and all the racers can go home at look at these pics and say wow I like that one I think I will purchase it. Neat concept. It also saves the racer and the photographer alot of time money and aggrivation.

One would think. However I spent more than a year waiting for pix to get posted for a non-SCCA event (by a "professional photography outfit"). My emails were unanswered and the phone just rang. When they finally posted pix from that year, they didn't post the event we were at.

Finally got in touch with the guy, he promised and promised to put up the pix of us so I could purchase them and still never did.

Too bad cuz there were pix of both of us running together that I really wanted to buy.

Diane

[This message has been edited by Diane (edited December 12, 2003).]

Well, I certainly not a great photographer but do think the non-digital cameras have advantages over digital ones for quality and flexibility. When you look at the majority of professional photographers (at sporting events including racing, weddings, ect.) most do not use digital cameras.

I'm not sure how I feel about getting photos I haven't asked for. I have three envelopes - two from LRP and one from Summit pt. (all from different photographers). And yes I did receive them a few weeks ago but haven't gotten around to sending them back. Although I may keep a few.

If I get just a few during the year, I'm o.k. with that. If I get many, then it becomes annoying.

I used to ride horses competitively and would always get a stack of proofs in the mail after an event. NEVER did anyone ask for money or the proofs.

Anything you get in the mail unsolicited, is yours to keep.

The idea that you're expected to return the proofs or pay for them is both rude & arrogant. Its a speculative business. Besides, once they've been printed, the cost is the same regaurdless of who has possetion of them. Their not returnable beer cans that can get recycled.

Sorry for the rant, that plan just gets under my skin.

Gee wiz, where is Banna Foto when you need them. the good ole days. dave

Originally posted by gran racing:
    Well, I certainly not a great photographer but do think the non-digital cameras have advantages over digital ones for quality and flexibility. When you look at the majority of professional photographers (at sporting events including racing, weddings, ect.) most do not use digital cameras.

Doug?? Doug? Care to chime in here?

I'm not a pro either, but I can see your point. I've held off on the Dig camera purchase because the results just didn't match the old emulsion based film process. I didn't like to huge cost of the better systems, and my need to replace my entire inventory. I didn't like the lack of true wide angle capability of the less expensive systems, and their zooms were awful as well. I've never liked the 'press the shutter button now and get reaction in 3 seconds' approach either. (I tried taking a picture of a dramatic thundercloud scene this summer, and by the time I got the available digital camera on, adjusted the stupid menu settings, tried to figure out how to turn the flash OFF, the shot lost it's dramatic sunset lighting, and was gone. I could of had 12 shots with an SLR, and gotten a great shot. Grrrr)

That said, the latest version of cameras is much better, and each of my objections can be resolved.

The convenience and ease of data transfer and manipulation makes them a powerful tool. I can't imagine pro photographers in deadline oriented businesses NOT using digital.

I wish someone would make a reasonably priced digital back that would fit my Canon SLR, though...

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

My wife is an Exec in a large Ad agency in Boston (she's been in the print Ad business 20+ years). She says that while digital photography is much more convenient (and allows shorter lead times) traditional film photography is still state of the art. Something about whites not being as pure and less then desirable blacks. But more and more people are starting to switch to digital.

The guy at Beaver Run takes digital pictures and posts the proofs in the office at the end of the day where you can go and look at them. I was able to get a print of a great shot of my Rabbit 2 wheeling it after hitting a curb. And I got a CD with the picture on it that day. Sweet!

Guess what I have as the picture for my desktop?

Jim

It would be interesting to see what the sales differences would be:

- a photographer that puts them on the web / has them avail. at the track to view
    or
    - a photographer that mails them out to potential customers ask discussed above.

I guess if I (or others) really don't want to receive unsolicited photos, I could send a reply back to them to be put on a "do not mail" list. Not saying the sales method is right or not...

Roger S prints photos at the track and will come around to see if you want to buy it. I would actually prefer to see what he has and then pick out what I want, but his method isn't too bad. Always feel bad saying "no" though!

My only complaint with him is that it is near impossible to get in touch with him after the fact to buy the negative or to get reprints. Another thing I have to put back on my to-do list.

I never minded the packages from Roz, guess it was all the excitement in the first season of racing. We bought the family pack so it worked out well for us.

Diane

<fixed incomplete sentence>

[This message has been edited by Diane (edited December 13, 2003).]