Thread: PDA Results Viewing Software

Default PDA Results Viewing Software

Dick, I had mentioned in a previous topic about the viability of NER (and/or NEDiv) buying into the new AMB product that will allow users with PDAs to view laps in real time. I re-found the link on it today:

http://www.amb-it.com/asp/xml.asp?source=latestnews#49

I know nothing more than what this release offers, but I'm willing to do some investigation. Before I invest that time, can you tell me if the region/division would be interested, and if so at what price point? As a competitor, I'm willing to increase my entries a few bucks in order to have the organization invest in this, and I'm confident others would as well.

I'd like to hear others' comments on the idea, and Dick feel free to contact me offline for direction to proceed.

Greg Amy

Sorry Greg, I wouldn't drop a penny more for that feature, there are many options for doing lap by lap for yourself. Why should the reagons get involved in another "project". Besides what happens at pocono etc. that don't use the transponders

I think that this would be a great feature ONLY if it showed us times for all the cars... If it only shows us our times... well I already get that from my wonderful crew!!!

Thank you crew!!!

Raymond Blethen
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com (Last Updated a couple days ago)

Raymond, it displays the real time lap data for all cars simultaneously. It broadcasts the picked-up transponder data via WiFi. It is intended as a supplement to, not a replacement for, the existing transponder-based lap timing software and hardware. Imagine having your lap times and your competitor's lap time available to you in real time...

Tom, good luck on handling the T&S on 33 cars simultaneously. Compare the price of this versus 33 stopwatches. Try to find a minimum of a half dozen people in your pit crew to gather running laps for you while you're in your car (instead of you leaving your PDA running in your pit vehicle gathering the data. Better bring extras lunch money). Ask your pit team to broadcast the data to you on your PDA mounted in your car while you're racing so you can have it in real time as a learning tool. We can all hope that one day real soon we'll go back to the wives sitting up in the tower stopwatching us manually, like in the "good ole days."

I'm willing to subsidize Tom's ability to use the broadcast data as long as he promises not to be obstructionist.

FYI:

Greg,

The software is currently in development in Holland and is due by the end of this year. At this point we don't have any other information to provide other than the fact that it will be PDA-based, will store each racer's laptimes and results sent directly from the AMB/Track Timing Orbits
    software. I have added you to our email list and you will be among the first to know when it will become available.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Ryan Kramer
    Marketing Coordinator
    AMB i.t. US
    3200 Highlands Parkway
    Suite 104
    Smyrna, GA 30082 U.S.A.
    tel: 678-816-4000 x304
    fax: 678-816-4001
    toll-free: 1-877-4 AMB IT US

If you have that much time on your hands to worry about all of the lap times of all of your competitors than your not focused. There is plenty of software out there than can monitor half dozen cars for an entire session (mine included) and if you art that statistical by nature than baseball might be a better bet you can stat yourself to death.

But what I see here is another situation where this will be a "gotta have" item that will esclate the cost of an entry fee just so that somebody can track worthless information. Focus that time and energy on car preperation and driver training and you will be farther up the grid and will have 5 new guys to worry about

Originally posted by grega:
    Raymond, it displays the real time lap data for all cars simultaneously. It broadcasts the picked-up transponder data via WiFi. It is intended as a supplement to, not a replacement for, the existing transponder-based lap timing software and hardware. Imagine having your lap times and your competitor's lap time available to you in real time...

Tom, good luck on handling the T&S on 33 cars simultaneously. Compare the price of this versus 33 stopwatches. Try to find a minimum of a half dozen people in your pit crew to gather running laps for you while you're in your car (instead of you leaving your PDA running in your pit vehicle gathering the data. Better bring extras lunch money). Ask your pit team to broadcast the data to you on your PDA mounted in your car while you're racing so you can have it in real time as a learning tool. We can all hope that one day real soon we'll go back to the wives sitting up in the tower stopwatching us manually, like in the "good ole days."

I'm willing to subsidize Tom's ability to use the broadcast data as long as he promises not to be obstructionist.

FYI:

Greg,

The software is currently in development in Holland and is due by the end of this year. At this point we don't have any other information to provide other than the fact that it will be PDA-based, will store each racer's laptimes and results sent directly from the AMB/Track Timing Orbits
    software. I have added you to our email list and you will be among the first to know when it will become available.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Ryan Kramer
    Marketing Coordinator
    AMB i.t. US
    3200 Highlands Parkway
    Suite 104
    Smyrna, GA 30082 U.S.A.
    tel: 678-816-4000 x304
    fax: 678-816-4001
    toll-free: 1-877-4 AMB IT US

I'm with Tom on this one. There are enough ways that I can track my own time, which is all I am concerned about during the 15min of qualifying. Also, I don't have a PDA that I can put in my car to check all of this stuff, so why should I pay more so that you can? I would also guess that this would require some focusing on the PDA to see who's where. Hell, I don't do that in Gran Turismo 3, why would I want to do it in real-life?

Jeremy

I've seen this device in action at ALMS and SWC events and it's very trick.

http://www.icardus.com

There's a price break right now for SCCA members. The only problem is someone needs to be in charge of any of these systems and from my understanding T&S is already short staffed

------------------
    Doug
    the16v.com
    briansgarage.com

greg
    i talked to denise the timing chief 2 weeks ago and she is open to this type of thing. she and i are both going to be at the runoffs and figured we could learn about i card there as it is topeka's big thing.
    doug i think the icard you saw is different than what amb is talking about. given amb's past performance on timely releases i doubt that it will be ready for next year, but i could be wrong. decisions to implement this type of thing will be made on a regional level when it happens. on the divisional level maybe one system could be endorsed over the other.
    so the short answer is sure check it out. if it does not cost the region a ton and the racers want it we will do it.
    dick

ps tom relax

[This message has been edited by dickita15 (edited August 29, 2003).]

From my point of view, this looks interesting. Currently, the only way I know my lap times when I'm testing is the stopwatch taped to my steering wheel. Same for any session during the session.I have no personal timing system, no radio, and only occasional crew.

This would help me. Testing would still be an issue, though.

The I-card is limited by the awful display of the Gameboy. Cheap, and it looks it!

I like the PDA version. PDAs are really cheap now, and very handy for other things, but the displays are much bigger, and brighter.

If they design the software so you can format the pages and size things so they are readable in the car, I can see a use.

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

If you don't think this is the coolest s**t since the debut of the 1954 Heurer then you're not breathing...

http://scca.vfx.com/valvoline/livetiming.asp?Class=

(Link is only useful this week...)

That is deffinatly awsome... I would definatly invest money into having this at our regional races...

Each team could invest in their own communications and laptops so that they could view the info in pit lane... However it would be nice to have 1 TV screen in pit lane for all to view... We have a Computer that can be hooked up to any TV screen at our house...

On another note... How come we don't use the scoreboard at NHIS???

Originally posted by grega:
    If you don't think this is the coolest s**t since the debut of the 1954 Heurer then you're not breathing...

http://scca.vfx.com/valvoline/livetiming.asp?Class=

(Link is only useful this week...)

WC has been using this all year. It is cool watching stuff live, they even have a play by play of the races.

------------------
    Crazy Joe
    #7 ITS pilot

The team hardware is in the budget for 2004. This is awesome stuff.

AB