Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shelby Charger

But hardware items are replaceble. The stock pieces are heim joints, just cheap plastic ones that do not hold up to the ravages of time. So replacing a hardware item falls into the category of IISYCTYBWC. Isn't the world of liberal rules interpretation wonderful. And besides if you look at the way the car is classed he doesn't stand a chance of winning out of the box or after 5 years of constant development.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

Remember Mr Amy, just because some are doing it, doesn't make it right. This is NOT part of the new world order...

Ugh.

AB
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Well, we will have to see how this all plays out. I have ordered new original rods (with the plastic sockets) from Chrysler. After three weeks, the only parts that they have been able to find are nuts, and bushings for the pivots. Original parts may just not be available any more.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

OK, the car rolled onto and off of the trailer after a weekend at Mid-Ohio. Sure wish I could have gotten two finishes, but one will have to do.

The good! Shift linkage problems are history. that part of the car worked like a charm. Steering - seemed to be fine. Got very little understeer all weekend. If anything, it seemed a little tail happy. I guess that's a good sign.

The bad: Both days, she had bad fuel issues. Seemed to be worse on left hand turns - the engine seemed to want to stop. Wish I could go for a Weber, but may just have to go for a rebuilt 6520.

It was fun.

More story to follow!
    92 ITA Saturn

[attachmentid=512]OK, Here's a low res pic from Mid-Ohio
    92 ITA Saturn

Update on fuel issues:

I decided to take off the air cleaner and check the carb, vacume lines, etc. After consulting several different books, I think I finally got the vacume lines connected properly. But the big light bulb was a nipple on the top of the intake manifold that was supposed to have a 1/2 hose on it. Found that hose, reattached it and secured it with a hose clamp. With that large a hole in the manifold, I don't know how it was able to suck enough gas into the cylinders to fire at all.

With everything buttoned back up, I fired it up - had to back off the idle since it was set to keep the engine running running very lean. The engine runs much smoother now, without having to fool around with the accelerator. I let it run at idle for about 15 minutes and had no heat issues, even with standing still and no air flow through the radiator.

If everything goes ok, I'll take it down to Columbus Motor Speedway for an open test session, just to see how that engine takes loads.

Anyway, we got one finish in this year, and we are not last in the Area 4 Championship.
    92 ITA Saturn