Thread: ITB Gulf Opel GT debut

Default ITB Gulf Opel GT debut

The Opel GT is going to make it's maden apperance this weekend at Hallett. I plan on taking it VERY easy this weekend and if nothing big falls off or I don't bend anything it will be a success

Anybody down there look me up, I will be the one with the orange and blue opel and the motor home with the wind trubine on top.
    (both are very hard to miss)

Gregory

Hey Greg, do you have anymore pictures to post? I love that Gulf paint scheme on the Opel. Good luck at Hallett!!

I do have more pics, need to find a place to host them. As soon as I find one I will put some up with the car finished.

Greg, I'll be there. I'll be Stewarding, not driving, it's just too hot for driving - for an old guy like me. Drop by the motorhome!

Cherokee-

I have plenty of space on our site, we would be happy to host a page for you... just e-mail me at [email protected]

another great place I found to post pics is on ofoto.com, and you can also get prints made up from the site... I don't use it for racing stuff as that is all on our website, but for social stuff with some friends we have used it and it works really well...

Good luck!!! I love the Opel GT's

Raymond

It's great to see more variety in ITB this year!

K

I'll be there this weekend helping Charlie with tires

Glad to hear the car's finally going to make it out.

------------------
    Nico Prelogar
    ITB/GP Scirocco listed in IT classifieds

[This message has been edited by theenico (edited June 29, 2005).]

Nico you will be shocked about how the car looks and runs, it is a far cry from what you worked on almost two years ago.

The car managed to finish a race but it was so hot and was not fast enough I am going to wait for the new motor to be finished this winter and have a look at better cooling. It was out there and got lots of attn. It also got run into by a spec Miata, I will be so happy when they get their own class next year. So on the plate for winter is drive train, cooling for the motor and some cooling for brakes...they where starting to fade at the end of the session. I counted it as a good test, I know more about the car now and know what to work on, just needs more development. All and all I am happy with the way the weekend went.

Here is a suggestion...work your cooling issues out NOW - before you put a new motor in.

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region, R188967
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

I am thinking about trying one more race in the Opel this year with a bigger radiator. Radiators are open right?

In the stock location, yes.

Try aluminium as well. Get a local shop to fab up an aluminum radiator in a size that fits the stock location and see how that works.

Also, are you running a thermostat? Some people remove them and have issues because the stat also works to restrict flow.

I have been told by Opel people that the thermostat does not need to be in there and there will be no problem, no need for a restrictor, I just wonder if the water pump will cavatate at that high of RPM.

The stock rad. is just so small I am wondering if I just need more area.

Have your radiator re-cored as a 4 core (what I did) or have an aluminum 4 core unit made that will fit that location. That and some good fans should solve your heat removal problems, if that is what you have.

Got any pics of this car, I'd love to see some!

------------------
    Ron Earp
    NC Region
    Ford Lightning
    RF GT40 Replica
    White Jensen-Healey ITS
    Silver "Skull" 260Z ITS
    Email: "rlearp at gt40s.com"

There are some pics posted on the opelgt site. I am still working on a web site of my own.

Originally posted by cherokee:
    I have been told by Opel people that the thermostat does not need to be in there and there will be no problem, no need for a restrictor, I just wonder if the water pump will cavatate at that high of RPM.

The stock rad. is just so small I am wondering if I just need more area.
    I have found that a restrictor is necessary on the Opels. 7/8" seems to work well. If it's wide open the car runs hot, especially above 6500 rpms (water pump is spinning about 7k).

You could always have your stock radiator recored to a 3-row, any more requires custom tanks.

Bob

BTW - what happened to you in the Saturday race? I was the OS - and you just disappeared through the back door.

The car was running too hot for me to run on Sunday, and after that Miata hit me I was pretty hot as well. My wife had the entire incident on tape. It was better just to leave then to run my mouth with my brain in neutral. I am truly sorry that I did not have time to look you up, there is no real excuse for me being so rude. I am going to try to make the Gateway race at the end of the year if I can get everything in order. New rad is in the works and as Andy suggested I want to work out the bugs on a mule motor. Hope to see you there.

Gregory

You could always have your stock radiator recored to a 3-row, any more requires custom tanks.

Bob

[/B][/QUOTE]

I am having the radiator recored this week, three core three pass. Guy says that the water will spend more time in the radiator.

I will try the restrictor. I had advise on leaving it out, so now I will try the other way. The new radiator will have custom tanks and a little wider, it will mount in the stock location and I will just move the spot welded brackets over a little.

Going to pound out the dent and try to make at least one more race this year to test cooling issues. August in Kansas/Missouri that will be a good test.