Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ITA Neons!

Default ITA Neons!

Who's building them? Can we get a roll call!

I have one built, but have yet to get time to race this year thanks to Honey Do's and Work. Member St. Louis Region.

Steve

There is one here in the MVR Region. They brought it out for the double drivers school in the spring of 2004. Blew it up at Mid Ohio Regional in July. Raced it again in October.
    Chamber plates and coil overs all four corners. Headers. Sway bars. Guy named Jack O'Driscoll built it for his son. Looks fast when it doesn't blow up. These are usually pretty reliable cars. I think that they are over reving it. Looks nice though. Yellow one.

We did the necessary saftey items to our ex-SSC car (tow loop, master off, steering lock) and then changed the numbers on the door.

------------------
    Whoomah! ™
    Jan Gerber
    Ralston, NE
    95 Neon ACR #63 ITA/DSP/(SN?)

I am in the process of converting an ex ssc car for ita. Right now I am just doing the requiered things like master dissconect, tow hooks, etc. Good to here that they are fast. I plan todo more as my budget and expeirience allows. Dave

------------------
    95 ITA Neon

Well, I too am converting an ex SSC car. I will have all the Mopar Goodies though. Crate motor, camber plates, coil-overs, spherical bushed control arms, header, quaife, I soon should find out how fast they are...... I think that they should be faster down the straights than the Hondas, but not as quick in the corners.................

I am glad too hear of other cars out there. I am hoping that there will be more of us so that Dodge will give a contengencey. Dodge took away the conrengencey for Regionals due to lack of wining cars.

This is pretty cool. I think they are going to be a great addition to an already good class.

K

Originally posted by Rabbit07:
    ..... I am glad too hear of other cars out there. I am hoping that there will be more of us so that Dodge will give a contengencey. Dodge took away the conrengencey for Regionals due to lack of wining cars.
    They should'a read Mazda's "How To Buy a Class" manual.

Rabbit07,

Where did you get the camber plates, coil overs etc.. from? and how did the assembly go?

Steve
    Steve
    #53 ITA Neon ACR
    Plan "B" Racing
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Springs

The camber plates are still around if you check some of the mopar parts dealers, I was able to get mine from a friend that had built a car years ago for ITS and found it to be not competitive so he converted the car back to SSC. THe install is easy. There are camber plates available from Ground Control as well.
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

I am 'kinda' in the process of building one. It's my '95 SSC car. I have to find the funds for a new cage and seat since those are in my current SSC car. I'm hoping to be able to run the car sometime next year. I believe the SOHC cars have a chance to do well in ITA, as long as the weight doesn't go up....

Have your dealer do a nationwide search on discontinued part numbers - that's how I found a set of the SSC optional wheels for mine. Van Dyke Dodge has been great for me, but don't know if they're still offering the Galeana Racing discount program anymore. Couldn't hurt to ask I guess...
    Paul Sherman
    Wichita Region
    '96 Neon #19 ITA (finally )
    Formerly known as P Sherm
    Joined 30 Sep 02
    Member No. 1176

Not to hijack the thread...I just bought a 98 ACR coupe...Soon as I sell the "omni" I plan on building a "spec neon" that will hopefully be a mid packer in ITA also

Since it is close to the end of the season I was wondering if anyone who had a chance to run a neon in ITA this year would maybe share their opinions of how competive the car was, or is capable of?

Well, I always finished! The car has much potenial. I had some good finishes in ITA in CenDiv. I got my but kicked at Mid-O, but I never do well there for some reason. Lap time wise I was roughly 2-3 seconds off of the faster cars. Keep in mind some of that is the fact that I ran all season on 5 year old tires. The Saturns and some Hondas are faster down the long straights, but that is really no concern, just drive harder and you can beat'em. The car has great brakes, predictable handling, and quite a bit of speed.
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777

Rabbit07,

Thanks for the reply. I see your location is Pontiac, MI, is this possibly the same ITA neon that I have seen at Waterford Hills?

That would be me!

Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777

Hey everyone, this is great! I came here for advice on our 95 ACR and here's an entire thread dedicated to Neons!

We're converting our SSC car to ITA. I'm getting ready to gut the interior, replace the front rotors (with stock rotors for now), and install new suspension. We have adjustable Konis for the front but nothing else. I'm looking at coilover kits from Ground Control and am curious what kind of spring rates we should use? Also wondering where's a good place to get a header, intake, and rear shocks?

A lot of work to go...master off, fire suppression system, camber plates, and more. I'd also like to put in a new seat and a real steering wheel. Darn stock wheel is too big.

Thanks for the feedback!

Originally posted by Matt Ferratusco@Oct 25 2005, 02:34 PM
    Hey everyone, this is great! I came here for advice on our 95 ACR and here's an entire thread dedicated to Neons!

We're converting our SSC car to ITA. I'm getting ready to gut the interior, replace the front rotors (with stock rotors for now), and install new suspension. We have adjustable Konis for the front but nothing else. I'm looking at coilover kits from Ground Control and am curious what kind of spring rates we should use? Also wondering where's a good place to get a header, intake, and rear shocks?

A lot of work to go...master off, fire suppression system, camber plates, and more. I'd also like to put in a new seat and a real steering wheel. Darn stock wheel is too big.

Thanks for the feedback!
    [snapback]63459[/snapback]
    Matt,

The Rotors should always be stock, no upgrades allowed there. The spring rates are tough, the Koni's won't dampen the same spring rates that I have with the Dynamics. I have 500 lbs springs up front, you could get away with 325's. Ice man cold air intakes are what used to be in the Mopar catalog, headers are available from many of the header manufactures. Try to buy a good quality header, saving money there only costs you more later. Order your shocks from Koni to match your fronts.

Cheers!
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777

Rotors and calipers must be stock or an oem equal !!!..Please , for your sake get a gcr and read it carefully...and then ask questions...lots of them...(something I did'nt do ) It will save you time , money and headaches

Thanks guys. I have a GCR, just didn't read the section about brakes yet because we already have what we need.