A few folks have asked what is happening with the JH and why isn't it running! I'd like to know too, but the short answer is it is a British car and while building it Jeff and I run into many little snags. The latest "snag" was building the motor, which, on most cars is no big deal.

But for those of you that do not know the Jensen motor is of course the Lotus 2.0L twin cam motor that lived a long life in the Esprit in various states of tune. The motor is quite strong in that the crank and rods are very, very, very beefy for a 4 banger. In fact, too beefy and I wish it could be lightened.

The head is a DOHC 4 valve per cylinder design that for 1972 was pretty high tech. It flows well and can make a lot of power with a good cam, of course, we really don't get a good cam in IT trim but I digress. The valve train is very "motorcycle like" in that there are no lifters - the cam actuates the valves directly via a little follower that acts as a valve spring "cap". And there in lies the beef.

The valve clearances are adjusted by shims, much like a motorcycle. Easy you say, measure the clearance and put in the shim? Not so fast.

The cams come in "carriers that sit directly on top of the valve train. The shims are trapped under the follower, which is trapped under the cam. So, a valve clearance adjustment goes somelike like this:

1) Install cam carrier
2) Measure clearances
3) Calculate shim thicknesses
4) Remove cam carrier
5) Insert shims
6) Install cam carrier
7) Measure clearances

And at step (7) you find that when things are all torqued down for some damn reason a couple, one, or maybe a few are now a few thousands off. So, you start at (1) again and repeat about 4 times for the intake cam and about 4 times for the exhaust cam.

Lots of fun. But we picks our picks and makes our choices.

At any rate here are some shots of the little motor. It sits at a 45 degree angle in the car to clear the hood thus putting the header damn near on the ground and the carbs (2 Strombergs) have to have bend in the intake so they don't go through the hood. The entire motor is aluminum and dressed all out with everything installed weighs about 310lbs or so, not too bad really.

She won't make VIR I am afraid, but we're shooting for Roebling Road in April and I think that is entirely possible. Jeff and I work on it when we can but I've been sick and traveling, same as he, and we've not made a lot of headway in the last few weeks.

I'll post more here as we make progress, enjoy.

Ron

------------------
Ron Earp
NC Region
Ford Lightning Tow Beast
RF GT40 Replica
Jensen-Healey ITS
1/2 a 260Z ITS - Zero

[This message has been edited by rlearp (edited March 08, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by rlearp (edited March 08, 2005).]