Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oddball Poll!!!

Cherokee, I think YES. Hell there is IT2, why not IT0......lol.

Ron, Group 44 won a couple of championships with the gT6 in the early 70s in I think D production racing against Datsun 2000s and the like. Bob Tullius called the car the "evil little car" but they made it go fast. There is a website devoted to the D Production Datsun 200s that has some good shots of the car in action. I'll try to post a link to it:

http://www.datsun.org/fairlady/fuerstenaumcqueen.htm

Is it in ITB or C? I think in either class it might be a decent contender. It's light as hell, nice but heavy six, and probably can make 130 or so hp in IT trim. Maybe.

You'd need a GT6+ or whatever year it was that had the "fixed" rear suspension, but it would be doable.

Maybe one day I'll build one.....

Of course, you can also get competition prep manuals for the GT6, so that removes a lot of the guess work normally involved with oddballs. The "fixed" suspension was for the Mk I models which predate the ITA spec line, so no problem there. Im not sure if the ITCS spec refers to the Mk II or Mk III models. Im assuming the Mk III, since they had a production run from 1970-1973. If you think that 130 hp is possible, thats a good ratio considering the race weight is 2005 lbs. Im thinking it really could be as fast as say a first gen RX7... Not cutting edge, but not a slug either.....

That little joker might make 130hp, if it has a, say, 2.0L Ford motor hooked up to it in tandem! ;-)

I don't know, it might do okay though. I was not overly impressed with the motor, that is for sure, but I loved the car. Seemed ours was the special HRPP model they used, the "Highly Resistant to Power Production" inline 6 version. We had a stock 92hp, iron duke Fiero at the time that would smoke the GT6, not good.

For me, personally, the size is fine and I liked driving the car. Short though, I think it might fit between the two wheels of the Jensen! Now after starting to look at some cars I'm seeing that while the Jensen is light, it is damn huge. Which might lead one to believe its' average density is low and unsafe. Maybe I should paint it grey and name it after a boat.

------------------
    Ron
    http://www.gt40s.com
    Lotus Turbo Esprit
    BMW E36 M3
    RF GT40 Replica
    Jensen-Healey: IT prep progressing!

[This message has been edited by rlearp (edited October 01, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by rlearp (edited October 01, 2004).]

Then of course theres the MGB in ITB. That would be an oddball too. I seem to think that it would make a poor racer in IT trim tho. Its a shame too, because the MGB GT is kind of a cool car.

Definately a bagger, unless muskrats ate it..

The Milano is in Charlotte, NC.. pretty much a complete car, but not completed. It is currently sitting at the Baucom Motorsports shop.

The other Milano (silver one, completed) is also in Charlotte.
    Would love to see someone take this car and finish it..

The Milano Verde is still very viable in ITS and quite quick if properly set up. Was quite quick back in old Firehawk series but not supported well. Good power, decent brakes if at min weight and solid handling (255 will fit in wheel wells). Weakness, inboard rear brakes will melt transaxle halfshaft seals if not properly cooled, parts cost/availability, getting to min weight.
    The Corolla is a good choice also (Nick Craw ran one for several years) great motor, decent handling, ok brakes, aero slick on fast tracks (HB body). If I remember like most Toyotas weight is its big enemy.
    I had a GT6 also that I started to prep for IT but enough power cannot be had from the very heavy motor. Evil rear suspension can be corrected with vast aftermarket parts that are same as Spitfire. Brakes not so hot for track use, but also can be made managable. Maybe competitive if you have Huffaker build you a $10k motor. Great street car though.
    Personally I think the Alfetta GT is still a good shot in ITB if your willing to spend the money to get a fully done motor. Parts for the suspension are available if you look, ridiculously low competition weight, brakes are good at min weight, ability to fit wide tires.
    Did have a couple of brothers build two top notch 914's for ITS and ITA in SF region back in the late 80's early 90's, but could not make them competive due to lack of power.

Steve

My Corolla is an oddball?

I've been racing it before the drift scene existed in the US (1993), and its a great little race car, and the parts last longer than anything else I've heard of. I recently mic'ed my front factory discs after 8hrs of track time, and they still measure thicker than after market new rotors! It's not at the top of the pack any more, but fully prepped, I can still generally run top 5 at any track

My Soon to be Corolla is an oddball too!?

Hey guys, my Dads old 88 SSC Corolla will hopfully be on the track in the near future. Will need to prep it from its street car specs lol. The good thing is it wont be very hard at all.

see ya soon,
    Mark

I've had at least one person ask "What is it" at every weekend I've raced the EXP

I'm doing my part as far as bringing oddballs to the track.

90 Oldsmobile Calais (ITS)
    93 Oldsmobile Achieva SCX (ITS)
    91 Toyota MR2 (ITS)

When will I ever learn!!!

Originally posted by Knestis:
    Yeah, but does it have an intact washer bottle? Or is it a bag on that one?

K
    Definitely a bag. I had one I was building about 20 years ago, until a nasty divorce intervened. I still think it would be an awesome car for ITC.

[This message has been edited by ITANorm (edited October 11, 2004).]

Originally posted by RSTPerformance:
    2 People have raced the Saab 900's in the northeast. nat Wentworth has had a bit of luck. If you are really interested you might want to try and contact him.
    He has done his best in the rain.

Raymond

Raymond, Could you put me in touch with these guys? I'm looking for a LSD.

Thanks, Hans

h.adomeit (at) gmx.net

I know it's not exactly an oddball in Production, but my ITC Fiat X1/9 seems to be one of a kind these days, at least in the Ohio area. Ralph Denney has an ITC Fiat 124 sport coupe, but I don't think it's been on track in a few years.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.........how about the Geo Storm GSI with the 130hp 1.8?

Originally posted by Prince Makaha:
    Hmmmmmmmmmm.........how about the Geo Storm GSI with the 130hp 1.8?
    I'd lean more toward a Prizm GSi, or a Corolla FX-16. The 4AG Toyota is a far more buildable engine than the Isuzu 1.8 in the Storm - and parts are a lot more accessable.

The AE86 Corolla is just worth too much to build into an IT car, IMHO, and the one I've seen was not that quick. I lapped him both times we raced (of course, driver, preparation, etc., may not have been top notch, either).

Originally posted by ITANorm:
    I'd lean more toward a Prizm GSi, or a Corolla FX-16. The 4AG Toyota is a far more buildable engine than the Isuzu 1.8 in the Storm - and parts are a lot more accessable.

The AE86 Corolla is just worth too much to build into an IT car, IMHO, and the one I've seen was not that quick. I lapped him both times we raced (of course, driver, preparation, etc., may not have been top notch, either).

AE86 worth too much? What do you mean? I have a nice one, and its fun in IT/A, though its hard to run at the front in it. I used to, but I'm typically at the back of the lead pack now.

Originally posted by Spinnetti:
    AE86 worth too much? What do you mean?
    A clean street Corolla GTS (AE88 actually) is bringing upwards of $4K in the dorifto / Initia1 D group. I'd hesitate on taking a clean one and building it into what - for now - would be a mid-pack car at best.

I think, if I were starting out, I'd go with an AE82 / 89 - FX-16 / GTS in ITB.

FWIW, my AW11 is usually in, but not at the front of, the lead group. That is not indicative, however, because in MiDiv, we usually only have 4 or 5 ITA cars in a race group.

<edit>
    Comparing times (hard to do with any reliability) with known competitors who ran the ARRC - I'd have probably been in the lower middle part of the qualifiers.

[This message has been edited by ITANorm (edited November 07, 2004).]

Originally posted by BMW RACER:
    How about a Ford Cortina GT In ITC? I think I was "FORD RACER" In another web life.

Talk about a car that's probably worth too much to be made into an IT car. Stock hp/wt ratios put it at the top of ITC. The cars are 35+ years old, and I can't remember the last time I saw one on the street. Anything that's solid enough and complete enough is probbly worth more as a collector car. Back in the mid-late 70's, I knew a guy that had one. Fun little car!

As far as oddballs go, original Mercury Capri 2.0. Had one as a street car. Lots of fun!!! I know there are a couple that are being raced, but I'd say that it classifies as an oddball.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

Bill--There are actually two Cortinas parked outside our LA Condo.

Both are faded, daily drivers and actually run (they move from one side of the street to the other).

I have to make an effort to meet the owner on one of the trips out there.

Cheers

Joeg. Is that LA like Los Angeles? Im in West LA.
    Bill I think the Cortuna would be great, did you see the weight 1780# with driver!! Thats 300# less than the trusty 510. I also agree about the Crapi When I first started in IT (1980) that was a car that could give a 2002 a run for the money.
    John Norris