Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 85 Toyota Supra in ITS?

If the car was available with a heating system that came without the evaporater, you are totally safe removing it. If it is part of the internal HVAC sysem, and can't be removed without leaving a gaping hole, then it is a gray area at best.

Most guys??? Well, most guys kid themselves that the weight is going to add a second a lap, or that it is a "safety" issue and chuck the core altogether! OK, maybe not "most"!...but there does seem to be a strong resentment to keeping it...

Personally, I kept it, and it is part of the cooling system. I think of it as a radiator in a spot where I don't mind the weight. I have the heat on all the time, and the fan is always running. Theoretically, I can run a smaller radiator up front. Ok, thats silly....I would never remove it or block it though...every time it rains, the number one reason guys have problems is visibilty. I've never had a issue......

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

I think the evaporator or the internal coils that cool the air can safely be removed as a part of the air conditioning system. If you want to keep the connection between the blower and the heater/rest of the hvac system, I would think you could just remove all the internals from the evaporator housing and just put the plastic box back in.

jhooten, did you get a chance to put the car on the scales yet? I have been chiseling the sound deadening off the interior for about a week now, and I really hope it is going to be worth it. I would guess about 35-50lbs of that stuff has come up so far.

With my overweight self and safety gear in the drivers seat and 3/8 tank of gas the total was 2985 (spec weight 2890). lf 846, rf 841, lr 717, rr 581. So If I loose 60 and run the tank dry I should be right at spec weight. Just got to figure out how to (legally) move some of the rear weigh to the right and the front weight back a bit.

jhooten,

I am getting really tired of removing the sound deadening material from the interior of the car. Did you remove all the black stuff stuck to the sheet metal, and do you have any tricks for removing it all?

Also, have you raced lately and checked out the motor and springs? And have you had any tuning done with the ecu? Sorry, I am full of questions again, but thanks for the help!

Russell

Mine came up fairly easy with an air chisel. Took about 3 hours but it is all gone.

Last race was july 4th weekend. Have been going to go test and tune at the drag strip and put in a few runs to see how the engine does but is has rained every friday for the last month. This weekend is 'sposed to be clear and HOT. The computer network upgrade at work is scheduled for this weekend, 12 hours a day thursday - monday. So this weekend is out too. The AutoX guys should have an event soon. That is another oportunity to check it out.

If you have a source of dry ice, spread it out on the stuff, wait a few minutes, and hit it with a hammer.

I just have to find about 100# of LEGAL wieght to loose from the front of the car. And no the driver is not far enough foward.

"I am getting really tired of removing the sound deadening material from the interior of the car. Did you remove all the black stuff stuck to the sheet metal, and do you have any tricks for removing it all? "

two words....dry ice...freeze it, tap it with hammer...pick up the frozen pieces..

Jim

Thanks for the info guys, I have heard of the dry ice method before, but didn't think it would work very well with this type of material. I have gotten most of it off the floorboard, but the sections behind the dash remain. I will try the dry ice if I can find a local place that sells it, but the air chisel sounds like it would work really well and especially with the dry ice.

Jerry - did you consider the trim pieces that go under the steering column/ directly above the petals and the piece under the glove box as part of the dash board? They seem exceedingly heavy and reinforced with metal for their purpose. Also the part of the console that holds the radio seems to be separate from the dash board but I wanted to get another opinion before I scrap these parts. Thanks

Russell

Still in. All I did was notch out to clear the roll bar.