Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not my father's Oldsmobile...

So can anyone tell me why the newer (92- ) grand am is not listed in the GCR, I mean the acheiva is which is the newer version of the calais, so why is the newer grand am not listed since the older one is, these two cars are essentially the same

Derek

Presumably because nobody has ever asked. There are lots of gaps in the years/models listed simply because a member must submit the request for classification - as newer models/years become eligible (by the age limit rule) they don't get added unless someone perceives that they offer a competitive advantage somehow...

Kirk

As long as we are talking about odd allowances how is it that the 'optional' W41 engine is spec'd instead of the base engine?

It came in the Olds... Ask John Herman - he worked for Olds in Detroit.

Hey, did anyone see the Beretta GTZ ITS ad in the classifieds section? It reminded me of this old thread. It was interesting, no? Anyway, I didnt see the Beretta listed in the ITCS as classified. Can someone shed some light on that? Also, how ARE the Calais/Grand Am racers doing these days? Any luck/success?

Jive

The GTZ is not classified yet, but im sure it would be not problem to classify this car. It is a much better looking option to the calais and acheiva, however, the GTZ only come with 180 hp, because it did not have the W41 cams. I have been considering building a gm quad 4 for ITS so i have done some research, if I am wrong feel free to correct me. I think the acheiva is the way to go its just hard to get past the ugly body.

i really need to know more about the quad 4 as i am having serious probs with my 92 achieva... it used to stall after comming off the highway and it would still tsart untill i put it in gear and it would stall right away, now it will tsall as soon as the engine warms and it wont start for about 20 mins... it stall just driving in town now plz someone tell me more about the quad 4 and what might be happening .....
    Originally posted by John Herman:
    Achieva SCX, technically this should be changed to Achieva (all). The SCX is an option on the base Achieva's and is not a model of car (have an original window sticker to prove). Therefore, any Achieva can be turned into an SCX. For IT, just change the engine. The rest of the SCX package is fluff, and would be removed under normal IT prep. Keiran et al., the reason I know so much about these cars was I worked at the Q4 engine plant for 5 years, and then in the GM chassis engineering group (Calais/Achieva and their sisters) for 5 years. This group was seated next to the Q4 engine product engineers.

Definately the electronics.
    Most likely a crank angle sensor or something that ends up with an open circuit at some point of the warm-up cycle.

I tend to agree with the electronics diagnosis. Are any engine codes being set? Try changing the crank position sensor, it's located on the front of the block near the oil filter. Follow the wiring down to it. Disconnect it by gently lifting up the small plastic locking tab. There is one bolt which needs a 10 mm socket to remove. You'll then need to persuade it out by rotating it back and forth and pulling. Its about a $15 part.

sounds like your tcc is gone out i have a 88 grand am with a 3spd tranny and i was told that the torque convertor clutch went out i dont know to much about it but there is a electronic plug on the top of the tranny if u disconect it it should be of some help if u have the quad 4 with the 3spd tranny i had the same problem it would get up to temp usually around 55 miles per hour id come to a stop and it would lock up and stall out after onpluging it it stoped stalling look down on the tranny and find a little plug that goes into the tranny it will be a funky color mine i think was buish in color unplug it and put a piese of tape over it that should do the trick

Originally posted by John Herman:
    Achieva vs. Calais As mentioned earlier, I have been racing Calais a long time. Therefore, I have more Calais body panels, etc. I know where all the nuts and bolts go, how the dash wiring is laid out, etc. The Achieva is basically the same underbody. Brakes, engine, suspension pieces are identical except for a few minor items. Choose whatever you like the best. Durability, there are a few tricks on the right parts to buy, but I'll save that discussion until someone else starts racing one (due respect to Tom Fowler, JD Ellis). Don't worry, its nothing serious, just careful and smart shopping. For those of you who are scared off because no "kits" exist for suspension, etc., drop me a note and I can put something together for you which will bolt it.

[This message has been edited by John Herman (edited November 02, 2001).]
    John,

I know this post is extremely old, but if you happen to see this message, could you drop me a line: [email protected]

I have some suspension related questions on a Calais.

Thank you,

Jason