Thread: Triumph Spitfire in ITC

Default Triumph Spitfire in ITC

Has anybody run a Spitfire in ITC? Would it be at all competitive? I have access to an ITC-prepared one to use for track days/schools, and since I am a newbie it will do fine for getting seat time, but would it be worth trying to race it?

Ah, the spitfire.....I think the one Spit I have seen on the track was the slowest car I have ever seen. But it's not exactly a representative sample!

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Forget it... the 1500 does not have enough oil pump capacity to feed the rods at high RPM, let alone the rockers too. No provision to change it in the ITCS. Also no provision to add a supplementary rocker oiler as you would need...
    Even if you got that solved, the crank shaft is missing 2 main bearings...

Give $10 to each board member instead, you'll come out 1/2 price (ask me how I know....lol)

That's kinda what I thought. Maybe I will drive it at track days until it blows up and then stick a rotary in it and use it for autox

Back about 25 years ago, we had a Spitfire with a TR-6 motor and a GT-6 bonnet (to clear the motor). It was a hoot on the AutoX circuit.

Hi all, I registered just for this post!

I wouldn't count the Spitfire out as a good IT car. I doubt you could make the power of a lot of other cars(ok maybe all) but the handling can be great as well as the brakes. The stock brakes with race pads, braided lines, and race fluid are plenty.

A baffled oil pan is all that is needed to fix any oiling problems. The 1500's main problem is keeping them together due to a long stroke, therefore, I recommend the 1296 engine which also gives reduced minimum weight.

I'm not saying this would be easy...but I think one could be set up well for ITC. I think the main disadvantage would be power.

Don't write that car off just yet... Tom Feller has done one heck of a job with his limited prep Spitwad. Enough so that we just built one ourselves. Although the car runs in HP, in its LP trip, it's not far off from the ITC version.

As for competitiveness, take a look at the results from the last regional at Mid Ohio and what Feller ran at the runoffs: He was faster than the fastest ITC car by nine seconds a lap and faster than the fastest ITS car by almost four seconds a lap. Not too shabby. Might not have all the horses one might like but there's something to be said about a good handling car.