Thread: 1985-87 Toyota Corolla GT-S?

Default 1985-87 Toyota Corolla GT-S?

I was just wondering if anybody has any experience with these cars. A buddy of mine just picked one up, and he is trying to get to know the basics of the car. Interested in any little tid-bits of info or stories you may have. How do they do against more current ITA class runners, car setup, etc.

Later,
    Seth E.

If it's a liftback, he'd be better off selling it to a drifter who's looking for a Hachiroku and buying a couple of MR2's with the $$. Seriously, it's a nice, fun car with a terrific engine and drive train. But . . . it's badly outclassed in ITA. Even the MR2 (same engine), which is also outclassed, is a better choice based on the results I've seen. I have, arguably, the fastest ITA MR2 in the country, and it's no match for the Hondas or the Nissans on the "power" tracks . . . Hallett, yes; Gateway, no way.

If you just want to build the car and have a blast, then go for it! The RWD Corolla GTS is probably the most tossable car you'll ever drive, except for maybe an early Z. Just for grins, I'd like to stick a GT3 spec 4AG in one and run it in ITE.

Currently the Honda Si's and Nissan 240-SX's are the cars to beat - plus they've now classed the '94 Civic in there.

------------------
    Norm - #55 ITA, '86 MR2. [email protected]

It wouldn't happen to be a white car with a red cage and interior?

The car is located in the Northeast. My buddy just picked it up because the old 86's are one of his long time favorite cars. Yeah, he is a Initial D/drifting fan. Since he doesn't have the money to convert it over to a street car. I brought up the idea that he should use it as is for upcoming season. Go through the car over the winter, do a few time trials to get the hang of it, and then enter it in a ITA race or two at Lime Rock (handling track). A local international rally driver has said that he would do the driving if my buddy isn't up to it. If it was up to me, I would make it ITE and install one of those 11k rpm motors from that formula series.

Later,
    Seth E.