Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pontiac Fiero?

Default Pontiac Fiero?

I have been into drag racing for a long time, I currently own a 92 AWD Laser RS that breaks 12.350's BUT I been wanting to get into SCCA since i got my first Fiero in 97 or so. Since then i knew how well they handled and tested its limits all the time. However now i want to play with the big boys on real tracks. I am wondering if anyone races Fiero's that anyone knows of? I just fully restored my suspension in my Fiero and want to race. If anyone can give me some tips or pointers let me know. I cant seem to find the info on what saftey precautions and such i need, or what mods i can do and still run ITA?

Thanks in advance!

------------------
    ~Craig Gibson
    aim - AllTireFireLaser
    yahoo - BoostedLoser

Start by buying a GCR--the rule book. It will get you pointed in the right direction.

You purchase it from the SCCA and joining that organization is the next step.

Regards.

What year Fiero?? If it is an 88 it would be interesting to see how it does. About 3 years ago there was a fellow that had one at Watkins Glen I don't think he did to awful bad. I must tell you though I have owned 4 Fieros and 2 are still in the garage. I really don't think that they will stand a chance against the CRX in ITA. I run an RX7 in ITA and we are struggling to keep up with the Honda guys.

I too have had mutiple years of Fiero's. IMHO, the V6's are both outclassed (88's in ITS and 85-87 in ITA) but the ITA version does have me wondering. Why?

You might be able to compensate for the crap suspension on the early car with IT legal mods. Light weight and V6 grunt. The 87 GT would be my choice with the 5-speed. Not a rev-machine but you could make some SERIOUS torque.

The ITS version just can't make enough power to hang with the BMW's, RX-7's and Z cars.

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    06 ITS RX-7
    FlatOut Motorsports
    New England Region
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

I almost, Almost, ALMOST have to disagree with you Andy. I've seen those 2.8's make some serios hp. A friend of mine had an old X-SS Citation X-11 (truck heads, 2bbl) and that thing made GOBS of high end hp. A 2.8 Baretta even did OK in Firehawk (I think) for a year.
    I had a GMC Jimmy with one that we breathed on (only slightly) and it made 168 at the wheels ebfore it lost traction on the dyno (damn, peg leg). The mods were NOT IT legal though , basically 390 CFM holley, mild towing cam, shorty headers, and an edelbrock intake.

I am with you in that the 2.8 is untested and untapped. Realize that the RX-7's make 170+ rwhp and the BMW's make 205+ RWHP.

Yikes!

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    06 ITS RX-7
    FlatOut Motorsports
    New England Region

I think you'll find the intake manifold (specifically the middle section and the plenum) on the fieros is what kills hp and makes all that low end grunt.

Otherwise there's a lot going for the car - slippery, wide track, 4 wheel discs, a ton of torque, short wheel base, easily repaired body, only 'heavy' weight wise, GM mpfi system easily reprogrammed at home these days, pretty stiff chassis, and still a lot of cheap donor cars out there for parts.

I have yet to see any ita fiero show up that has really been built to the limit of the rules (or extent that the front running cars have)

Is the 88 classed in ITS or ITA the only difference between the 85-87 and 88 is the vastly improved suspension.

Datsun Dynamics ran the beretta. They may even have a couple of the extra engines that mysteriously appeared as gifts from chevrolet. Nobody wanted to look inside them to see whether chevy had pulled a fast one.

Originally posted by Weaver7:
    Is the 88 classed in ITS or ITA the only difference between the 85-87 and 88 is the vastly improved suspension.
    The 88 V6 is ITS and the 85-87 V6's are in ITA.

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    06 ITS RX-7
    FlatOut Motorsports
    New England Region

you must be looking at an old gcr, all years of fiero are in ITA, just the 88 has to weigh more. The 87 has no chance with the brakes it has, trust me, the 88 probably weighs too much, i think the best bet you would have with that engine is the cavalier, lighter and has vented brakes, sure its boxy, but you dont know how important brakes are until u dont have em.

You are right. My bad. Neither has a chance in ITA but the earlier car may do better with the lower weight.

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    06 ITS RX-7
    FlatOut Motorsports
    New England Region

I weighed my 86 GT at the track. It was something like 2800 pounds. I would use the 86 SE or 85 GT notchback since they are a little bit less beefer.

Actually I think an '85 2M6 SE would be the one to build from. Or update/backdate too. Maybe with the GT (or later SE) nose for aero. I doubt anyone really knows the best route though, there are only a couple ITA cars around. Two from Waterford, one parked from Waterford, and a guy from California, who does quite well, but I forget his name.

'85 and '86 space frames were essentially identical. '87 had quite a few changes. I can't really recall if the '87 was any heavier, but it was supposed to be a little stronger.

How about a production Fiero? EP? Maybe FP with the 2.5? With the '88 chassis, at a nice light prod weight, who knows?

[This message has been edited by tderonne (edited August 06, 2003).]

[quote]Originally posted by tderonne:
    [B]Actually I think an '85 2M6 SE would be the one to build from.

Actually they never made an 85 2M6. They Made an 85 GT which is Identical to the 86 2M6 ( Which is what I own ) either way I agree with you probably would be the best way to go if you decide to go this route.

Originally posted by Weaver7:
    Actually they never made an 85 2M6.
    Sure did. I worked at the plant. I've got the dealer brochure too.

Not saying we made many, but they did exist.

Has anyone run the Iron Duke Fiero in ITB?

I just had an '84 Fiero Indy practically donated to me, so I figured I could build an ITB underdog out of it over the next year or so. I just sent out for a GCR (I've been out of it for a while and was looking for an IT Specifications book, which I guess is now integrated into the GCR!), so that will get the ball rolling.

Is there anyone out there that does a bolt-in cage for the Fiero? I have a source that will do a custom cage for me, but I want to check my options first. Any other advice? At least there seems to be plenty of parts in the junkyards...

As long as I don't finish last, I'll be happy. Thanks!

I was thinking about doing up my 84 Fiero about a year ago...then got to talking to people...the little thing has a good little motor with lots of torque...but runs out of air in the high rpm's...one of the roundy round guys here runs one in his Pony Stock...that little sucker is fast...but not IT leagal. I ended up buying a 85 MR2 while I finish my Opel. The MR2 is a lot of fun but has some of the same problems in ITA. You would have good brakes.

Thanks. I've noticed that the 2.5 wheezes and sounds like it would be better suited as a vacuum cleaner at high rpm, but it still has plenty of torque. And it would still provide a lot of fun on the track. There's lots of parts for Fieros out there to make things a little bit easier.

After all, I can't argue with a free car...so i'm going to stick with it.

I built and race an ITB Fiero--it was sold to a guy in NC--saw it on ebay about 8 months ago--he had never raced it---I have LOTS of info on doing this---if you want it email me at [email protected]---too much to go into here.....