I would expect that the output quoted would include all engine development work, not just slap a chip in it and go racing. I would expect that the dyno runs would be at the very end of a long, involved build and development process.

As far as an OEM leaving that much on the table, of course! Not all cars are Porsches. Not all manufacturers optimize their engine calibrations for power output. There are way too many other considerations for a passenger car. Porsche does do a very good job of optimizing everything from the factory. Compare with a Hword - numerous horsies just slapping an intake and an exhaust on them. You know as well as I do that the same mods will do virtually nothing for a P-car.

Take into account an overbore, compression, balancing, etc., completely blueprinted omney-no-object, it's not quite that out of hand to see an engine gain power like that. What percentage gain is that? I don't know the stock output #'s of the BMW. I do know that I _should_ be able to gain roughly 20-30% output in my motor in IT-legal trim if properly built. Apply those percentages to the 944S, you get somewhere from 225-245hp (crank). Maybe that's a bit optimistic. I know my numbers are - if I get 20% out, I'll be happy. How about the BMW's?
Just trying to keep things in perspective...

------------------
Vaughan Scott
'79 924 #77 ITA
Plymouth, MI
www.vaughanscott.com