Interesting debate.

My question: My carbs were originally fed by two hoses that attached to a plastic duct in the lower left and lower right front fender. The hose then ran to a bi-valve that was itself connected to the stock manifolds. When cold, the car drew air off the manifolds for emissions purposes. When warm, the car had a crude ram air system to the front fender holes.

NOW, I want to move the air intake point from the "ram air" inlets (which are crap, and pick up all kinds of crap), to the low pressure zone right in front of the windshield.

I intend to build an air box to hold a K&N filter and rivet it to the fire wall, and then run the EXISTING stock hoses to the air box.

Legal? I'm using a stock hose, but I'm running it to an air box that is NOT connected to the "stock" filter location -- in fact, I've moved the filter location in its entirety to the base of the windshield.

I THINK that because I am using essentially the stock setup -- hoses drawing air to the carbs -- moving the filter and the box to a new location within the engine bay is legal.

Thoughts?