Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gotta write me a rule proposal...

Originally posted by Dave Zaslow:
    How about:

If so equipped by the manufacturer as standard equipment, anti-theft alarms and their control units, sensors, wiring, lights, actuators and sound producing devices et. al. may be disabled or removed.

If so equipped by the manufacturer as standard equipment, central door locking control units and their sensors, wiring, actuators, vacuum devices, solenoids et. al. may be disabled or removed.

Dave Z
    I like the allowance but would restrict it so it doesn't allow for any issues.

"...may be disabled but not removed or modified"

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region, R188967
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

Jake,

I like that, but I can see issues on exactly where that line gets drawn, as how the systems are integrated will vary from mfg. to mfg.

As stated before, several mfgs have these systems tied into the engine mgmt / ECU. I can see someone saying "Hey, I've got to change the ECU, because my car won't run w/ the anti-theft system disabled/removed".

I know people will say "Well, just don't remove/disable it." But, what happens when this is the case w/ the ABS system, which we are _required_ to remove/disable?

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

Bill,

We had a letter we talked about breifly already. An interesting issue really, as you hit the nail on the head.

Our goal is to amend to allow the sensor to be connected when neccessary to avoid the CPU conflicts but to have the system remain disabled per the rules...

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region, R188967
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

I like Jake's wording so how about:

If so equipped by the manufacturer as standard equipment, anti-theft alarms and their control units, sensors, wiring, lights, actuators and sound or light producing devices and other items specific to that system may be disabled or removed.

If so equipped by the manufacturer as standard equipment, central door locking control units and their sensors, wiring, actuators, vacuum devices, solenoids and other items specific to that system may be disabled or removed.

I do not agree that disabling a system, if it has no other relevance to the operation of the car, should be the only option. Why is an alarm different from a radio or an air conditioner? In this case it is only because it was standard equipment on all models of a car brand. Neither alarms nor central locking are essential to the operation of the car. Disabling ABS is another animal completely because it is believed that those cars will have a performance advantage under braking. A louder exhaust may lead to a performance advantage, but a louder alarm never will. That is unless it wakes you up at 4AM when it goes off in the paddock.....

If you think your ecu would go into limp-home mode if the door lock fuse pops or an alarm sensor is shorted, then I think you need to prove that this would actually happen in a GCR-listed car.

We are discussing two very discrete sub-systems here. If you want to leave these things in your car, fine. If you want to disable them because it is a PITA to remove, fine. If you want to remove, fine.

Dave Z

I was gonna remove mine, but then I remembered it weighs 50 lbs. ar ar