Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: brake rotors

Ahhhh, the INTENT! Now I get it.

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region, R188967
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

ddewhurst, I'm not sure why you need Andy to quote you the GCR.
    Interpretations, OK. Proposed changes, OK. Argue all you want about them with him. I know I do.

But stuff that is right there? C'mon.

------------------
    "Bad" Al Bell
    ITC #3 Datsun 510
    DC Region MARRS Series

***Me thinks you made a big mistake by not reading the rulebook.***

***But stuff that is right there? C'mon.***

Let's see now. Before the new parts rule. Mazda continously inflated front rotors to $96 each 3 years ago. Real Brembo front rotors $30 each. Now let me think a bit. With Brembo rotors which wear equal to or longer than Mazda rotors I save $132 per set. Decision, decisions & more decisions. C'mon, me read the rules. If every car with non speced parts were put in a DQ'ed line at tech how long do ya think the line would be?

Bill, does that plastic bend ?

Have Fun
    David

My 2 cents is why don't they just allow slotted and drilled? Whats the difference? I would prefer brakes upgrades too. I know its a matter of trying to keep costs down, but isn't it also a safety issue? Slotted and drilled would help the cooling, and I'd feel more comfortable with a set of Brembo calipers and rotors instead of OEM Honda brakes, or the like, going into Canada corner at Road America I'd be curious what the logic is.
    --Bill

[This message has been edited by B Schley (edited April 12, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by B Schley (edited April 12, 2005).]

Umm, David, can I make sure you are clear on something:

Alternate parts are expressly ALLOWED in the GCR now, as long as they are the same size/spec as the OEM parts.

As for the plastic, it bends, but then it bounces back!!

------------------
    Bill
    Planet 6 Racing
    bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

One other thing:

Bill, while I agree that there is much argument about the effects of slotted/drilled rotors and cooling, I point to the following two things to say that drilled rotors are not the way to go:

1) http://www.teamscr.com/rotors.html - Written by James Walker Jr, a brake systems engineer for Bosch. Feel free to read his other articles. If anyone knows anything about brakes, it's James!

2) NASCAR, F1, etc. I have yet to see one of the major race teams run drilled rotors. If it truly helped with cooling, you'd expect to see it on every car at the short tracks in NASCAR. Not so. The only place that I have seen it is on Motorcycles, because the remaining mass is still enough for the thermal energy.

------------------
    Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

planet 6 Bill-
    Interesting stuff. I understand his point on drilled rotors. I still don't think it would be bad if we were allowed to upgrade brake systems to after market units like Brembo, Baer etc. Lets face it, the best way to cool is with ducts.
    --Bill

Originally posted by B Schley:
    planet 6 Bill-
    Interesting stuff. I understand his point on drilled rotors. I still don't think it would be bad if we were allowed to upgrade brake systems to after market units like Brembo, Baer etc. Lets face it, the best way to cool is with ducts.
    --Bill
    I do. Big time dumb move, IMO...

If we allow that, then it will be REQUIRED for everyone....IF they want to keep up with the Jones....

A fantastic way to increase the costs of building a car.

Solution to 'inferior' brakes?? brake sooner. It's the same for everybody.

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

i trust my brakes at sebring road atlanta etc, i have a honda and with proper maintenance and care they have never let me down...just spend the money on new rotors and use good pads, brake lines, a new master cylinder/calipers and fluids...these are IT cars not GT cars...
    Evan Darling
    ITA Integra

Bigger brakes would certainly be an advantage over stock-sized brakes. Since there is nothing inherently unsafe about OE systems, the only motivation to change would be performance and as mentioned above - once someone had them, anyone who wanted to be competitive would need them, too. Money spent, status quo maintained, racers poorer, and those without the bucks further marginalized. No good can come of this.

K

Umm, Bill H., can I make sure you are clear on something:

***Let's see now. Before the new parts rule.***

Before the new parts rule.

I think I read the Fastrack, GCR & Darin's post. Ya, it's clear.

Have Fun
    David

Originally posted by ddewhurst:
    ***Me thinks you made a big mistake by not reading the rulebook.***

***But stuff that is right there? C'mon.***

Let's see now. Before the new parts rule. Mazda continously inflated front rotors to $96 each 3 years ago. Real Brembo front rotors $30 each. Now let me think a bit. With Brembo rotors which wear equal to or longer than Mazda rotors I save $132 per set. Decision, decisions & more decisions. C'mon, me read the rules. If every car with non speced parts were put in a DQ'ed line at tech how long do ya think the line would be?

Bill, does that plastic bend ?

Have Fun
    David
    And that is exactly why the new rule is in the book. And it is also why it's intent can't be monkeyed with because it is also stated.

As usual, I have no idea what your point is. You asked for the intent, It's in there.

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region, R188967
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

David:

Well, then, what are you arguing about? That was then, this is now! Who cares what was done in the past?

Come on! The first race is only 1.5 weeks away. Are you going to be there? Do you have your car converted to full IT prep?

I'll see you at the track (hopefully in the rearview!).

------------------
    Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

Originally posted by planet6racing:
    David:

Well, then, what are you arguing about? That was then, this is now! Who cares what was done in the past?

Come on! The first race is only 1.5 weeks away. Are you going to be there? Do you have your car converted to full IT prep?

I'll see you at the track (hopefully in the rearview!).

How's that steering wheel disconnect doing Bill? if you keep the wheel on you should have no problem keeping the Dewhurst Mazda behind you as he seems to be busy with the rulebook...

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Jake, back under the rock. While some people are busy working on steering wheel attachment lessons & other things like worrying about whose behind them the RX-7 driver is readying the car to continue running faster laps that the plastic car.

He He Heeeeeee
    David