Thread: Where to drill holes in cage for inspection?

Default Where to drill holes in cage for inspection?

Wondering where I should drill the required holes for tech inspection in the rollcage. Where do most people drill them? Thanks in advance.

i bring a cordless drill to tech with the right sized bit and drill where the tech guy wants a hole. takes the guess work out of it.

Once upon a time, it was not totally unheard of for a car builder to sleave the rollbar where the inspection hole was drilled.

That started the practice of using a length of welding wire to see if there were any "lumps" on the inside surface of the tube, as well as the inspector simply picking a location and having the hole placed there.

More than one driver was very, very upset when told to drill a second inspection hole, and in two cases I remember, the drivers simply loaded their cars on their trailers and went home.

Letting the tech guy pick the spot is easy.

I would drill 3 @3/16". One in the main hoop, one in the front upright and one in a horizontal bar in the door opening. Do not drill where tube is bent and make it where there is room to measure the tube. Mark the area near the holes with paint or colored stickon dots. That said bringing a drill with you is good insurance.

dick

[This message has been edited by dickita15 (edited April 06, 2005).]

Remember that you must drill a hole in all REQUIRED tubes for inspection. It is easier to inspect if the holes in the main hoop, diagonal, and cross bar at door level all have holes near each other and the front tubes should be drilled about 6" off the mount plates. Good practice to drill holes at least 6" from any joints.

Originally posted by mlytle:
    i bring a cordless drill to tech with the right sized bit and drill where the tech guy wants a hole. takes the guess work out of it.
    Eggs-ackly.

K

To avoid drilling excess holes, take the drill with you to Tech. When I built my cage and we discussed it here, there were widely varying opinions and I was expecting to need to drill holes in all required tubes. Nope! Just one hole in the main tube is all the Tech Inspector wanted. He did pick the spot, however.

To summarize: Take drill and bits with you to tech. If your tech is waived for an event, have the drill and bits ready for that, too, in case the tech inspector wants to look someplace else.

------------------
    Bill
    Planet 6 Racing
    bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

Take "pilot" drill bits with you. Makes starting the hole (where directed by the Tech Inspector)much less of a chore.

Cheers

I just had my new cage inspected, and the inspector wanted six holes drilled. I put them all on the passenger side in easy access places. He was able to measure all except the rear support brace while outside the car. He appreciated that. The six holes he wanted are as follows:

1.) Main hoop upright
    2.) Rear support brace
    3.) Horizontal bar inside main hoop
    4.) Diagonal bar inside main hoop
    5.) Forward brace upright
    6.) Side impact brace

Also, the logic of doing the passenger side is that if you are going to cheat with thin material on one side of the car, it probably won't be the drivers side where you're sitting.

Curt Cearlock

Originally posted by ccearlock:
    Also, the logic of doing the passenger side is that if you are going to cheat with thin material on one side of the car, it probably won't be the drivers side where you're sitting.
    It would be if you wanted to better balance the car's corner weights.

Originally posted by Bryan Watts:
    It would be if you wanted to better balance the car's corner weights.

Yikes! I suppose some would do that.