Thread: ECU wiring

Default ECU wiring

Can I tie into the backside of the ECU plug in order to pick up information?

I want to wire an air/fuel ratio meter that reads the signal coming from the O2 sensor. It also has a % open on the injectors as well. Both of these need to come from the ECU wiring harness. Both are just plugging a wire into the backside of the ECU harness.

I'm not changing anything with this wiring, just picking up information as part of data collection. The rule states that the wiring harness to the ECU must be un-altered, but we're allowed any kind of data collection & instrumentation. Could be useful for data logging.

Thanks
    Matt

If it isn't legal then there are a whole lof of ECU equipped cars running data loggers that are illegal.

Should be fine since you are just adding wires to run an additional instrument, your data logger. But I ain't a rules nerd so I might not be the best person to ask.

------------------
    Ron Earp
    NC Region
    Ford Lightning
    RF GT40 Replica
    Jensen-Healey ITS
    1/2 a 260Z ITS

My belief - I'm one of those DA people, too - is that it's no different than running wires for an aftermarket oil pressure gauge.

K

If you want to be REALLY legal beyond a shadow of a doubt, solder the wire onto the sensor wire between the sensor and the connector. This also gives the best signal to the A/F meter, as there's less wire and stuff in front of it to have a problem with (yes, I'm aware that having it closer to the ECU will tell you what the ECU sees, but I'd rather know more than the ECU if there's signal being lost...)

------------------
    Matt Green
    "Ain't nothin' improved about Improved Touring..."