Thread: Window Nets per April Fastrack

Default Window Nets per April Fastrack

My opologies if this topic was brought up somewhere in the ump-teen pages previously written about other changes in the April Fast Track, I got kind of blurry-eyed reading about ITB VW's (which I know nothing about).

The April F-T deletes the comment that window nets "need not be dated". Does this mean they have to follow the dating plan that harnesses do since it is listed in w/ the "restraint system"??

I'd like to know before I get an F in tech line the day of a race.

There is a letter from Jeremy in Topeka, floating around in cyberspace. Hopefully, the Scrutineering crew you visit will have seen it.

Nets still do not need to be 'dated'. They need an SFI tag, and it may have a date on it, but the date is irrelevant. Nets don't expire. Belts do, nets don't.

Clear as mud.

You see, John, the nets aren't exposed to as much UV light as the belts. The nets have all of those holes in them, which lets the light pass right through.

That, of course, means the belts near the window nets are getting hit with twice as much UV - the light that hits them normally, PLUS the UV coming through (but not stopped by) the window net.

Right?

Baker, you ready to hire me at ISAAC yet?

Jarrod

Thanks Jarrod, now I understand why I don't need to be concerned about my helmet chin strap. My helmet is put into it's soft dark bag, then into a helmet bag, then into the the race car & the race car is stored in a dark garage. I wonder if the race car is stored in a soft dark bag if the harnesses would be good for 5 years..........

Have Fun
    David

Originally posted by ddewhurst:
    I wonder if the race car is stored in a soft dark bag if the harnesses would be good for 5 years..........

Yes, but after your 5-year "proofing" you'd have to submit a sample of the belts and the bag material - as well as the air in the storage area - along with a complete temperature and humidity chart for the entire 5 years to SFI for evaluation.

Even if it passed, you'd have to submit a letter of compliance at every event during the 2-5 year period certifying that the car was in the bag, nobody welded in the building, and the cat never peed within 10 feett of it.

------------------
    Norm - #55 ITA, '86 MR2. [email protected]

I think this 2 year belt thing is all hogwash! Its all dictated by the lawyers & insurance companies.

ie: that 3 year old race harness belt is determined worn out? Who actually decided and tested these belts to determine that they are only good for 2 years? This is totally redicules, period. If this were the case, wouldn't you think that car manufactures would post a recall on every vehicle made every 5 years or so to replace the seat belts?

Don't forget... if you put in FIA belts, you get five years, so the initial cost up front is offset by the # of years you get from them.

Originally posted by racer-025:
    ...that 3 year old race harness belt is determined worn out?

It's not a matter of wear, it's a matter of material degradation. It is assumed you will replace the belts at the first sign of wear, regardless of age.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Who actually decided and tested these belts to determine that they are only good for 2 years?</font>

SFI. http://www.sfifoundation.com/

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">...wouldn't you think that car manufactures would post a recall on every vehicle made every 5 years or so to replace the seat belts? </font>
    Auto manufacturers recommend you replace the belts in your car after 10 years. Not mandatory, not subject to recall.

However, I think the forces exerted during a racing crash are significantly different than that experienced by a 95th-percentile street crash.

[This message has been edited by GregAmy (edited March 15, 2005).]