Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: April Fastrack

Default April Fastrack

I'm surprised no one else has brought this up yet:

"The following items are NOT RECOMMENDED for implementation at this time…

3. Allow the Isaac device (Loesch). The CRB addressed this last year and found that the device does not comply with GCR section 20.4 (single release). Further, there now exists FIA and SFI specifications for head and neck restraints. Major sanctioning bodies including the SCCA are considering adopting the specifications, and both preclude the use of the Isaac."

I guess now would be the time to start writing those letters, huh?

------------------
    Earl R
    Aspiring 240SX pilot

I'm on it. I was waiting for some official word rather than giving in to rumor-milling but this is not OK.

K

This is exactly what has kept me sitting on the fence about a H&N device. And now as I have a place set aside in the budget to buy an Isaac device I see this. I can't place the blame solely with SCCA since the presence of a spec probably makes the lawyers nervous to go against it. So maybe it's the SFI's fault for writing basically a single solution spec.

Either way, maybe it's because I've listened to Gregg too much, but it feels like the SFI spec has done more to limit a racer's choices than it's done to get good devices into the hands of every competitor.

Well, if the miata thing has taught us anything, everyone with an interest should be typing away on a letter to CRB.

------------------
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Shelby Charger
    MARRS #96

Why don't you guys hold off for a few days, until some people get back to their offices in Topeka. This FasTrack is completely counter to what we have heard from the horses mouth, so to speak, since the issue was resolved at the annual convention. We have been told by Topeka that there is no change in the Club's position regarding any head and neck restraint product between 2004 and 2005. The Isaac system was legal in 2004 and it's legal in 2005.

Expanded interpretations of GCR Section 20.4, dealing with single-point release of harnesses, as offered in the August 2004 FasTrack were not incorporated into the 2005 GCR.

Relax guys. It is a paperwork SNAFU. We will get yet another confirmation ASAP.

(Wow, what a great group of racers.)

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Wouldn't Cool Suits, Radios, etc., go against the "single point of release" as well??? Any one of them could hold you in the car in the event that an egress was required and they aren't disconnected...

------------------
    Darin E. Jordan
    SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
    Renton, WA
    ITS '97 240SX

Hey, was there some kind of server crash that required a restore of a backup? Seems like several posts have been lost.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

So it also looks like no downsizing of wheels also..

Originally posted by gsbaker:
    Why don't you guys hold off for a few days,
    Gregg... please keep us updated. I've got a race in two weeks and if they're not going to let me run because of my choice of H&N Restraint, then I'll save my entry fee for another organization that will

------------------
    Scott Rhea
    It's not what you build...
    it's how you build it

Izzy's Custom Cages

Originally posted by Speed Raycer:
    Gregg... please keep us updated. I've got a race in two weeks and if they're not going to let me run because of my choice of H&N Restraint, then I'll save my entry fee for another organization that will
    Scott,

No one is going to refuse your Isaac and then let you on the track without a H&N restraint. Can you imagine the liability? You die of basilar skull fracture because the SCCA takes away what is arguably the best H&N restraint in the world? Some lawyer would own the SCCA.

Topeka knows this, but it is obviously not getting communicated. We'll try to fix it ASAP.

Any lawyer racers want to volunteer the paperwork the tech has to sign accepting responsibility for injury? We'll post it for download.

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

Originally posted by gsbaker:
    Why don't you guys hold off for a few days, until some people get back to their offices in Topeka...
    Gregg -

I'll keep my pointer away from the send button for now, but have already started drafting just in case. In the mean time I've been meaning to ask, is there anyplace I could find more info on 38.1, e.g. details of the spec, the process used to develop the spec, etc., or is that proprietary info?

Thanks,
    Earl

Originally posted by Joe Harlan:
    So it also looks like no downsizing of wheels also..
    Yep... I guess "up to" really doesn't mean "down to" after all...

------------------
    Darin E. Jordan
    Renton, WA
    ITS '97 240SX

Originally posted by erlrich:
    Gregg -

I'll keep my pointer away from the send button for now, but have already started drafting just in case. In the mean time I've been meaning to ask, is there anyplace I could find more info on 38.1, e.g. details of the spec, the process used to develop the spec, etc., or is that proprietary info?

Thanks,
    Earl
    Earl,

Thanks for the help.

You can contact SFI and request a copy of Spec 38.1. I called and they e-mailed me a PDF. I had it within an hour.

We would be happy to distribute it, but it is copywritten. I'm sure they wouldn't mind if individuals passed it around (saves them from sending out copies), but as a company we can't go there. It may be posted for download by now.

We don't know how the spec was developed. We were never contacted. In fact, we heard about it from a reporter who was seeking comment. Kinda funny actually; he was passed to me and my comment was, "Huh?"

Rumor has it it was written by a HANS salesman.

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

I heard through the grapevine that SFI used to the NASCAR test as a baseline. NASCAR tested several restraint systems a year or so ago.

HBennett

Do not hold off on writing your letters.

You do not know what is really going on, because we are not dealing witht he BORG, we are dealing with commitees and boards.

If it's a mistake, a barrage of letters MIGHT just make the powers that be think before they publish. If it's not a mistake, then you are ahead of the curve.

Originally posted by HBennett:
    I heard through the grapevine that SFI used to the NASCAR test as a baseline. NASCAR tested several restraint systems a year or so ago.

HBennett
    Yes, it's the Delphi sled configured for upright seating position.

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

Alright, that's it! I've had enough of the SCCA and their shenanigans, I'm going to run with NASA!!!

Oh, sorry, we are only 14 posts into this thread. It's probably too early for the I'm leaving posts? Sorry, I'll come back in a few days... (j/k)

Gregg hasn't steered me wrong yet so I'm going to trust him when he says to hang on. Please do let us know if anything new develops, G.?

However, it is NOT a stretch to my mind that some enterprising tech guy might in the coming weeks decided to ride his one-release hobby horse and tell someone that they can't use their Isaac. They're going to need to notify me in writing if it's me they pick for me for that test.

K

Originally posted by Wayne:
    Alright, that's it! I've had enough of the SCCA and their shenanigans, I'm going to run with NASA!!!

Oh, sorry, we are only 14 posts into this thread. It's probably too early for the I'm leaving posts? Sorry, I'll come back in a few days... (j/k)

LOFLMAF!!! Nicely Done!!

------------------
    Darin E. Jordan
    Renton, WA
    ITS '97 240SX

Originally posted by Knestis:
    Gregg hasn't steered me wrong yet so I'm going to trust him when he says to hang on. Please do let us know if anything new develops, G.?

K
    Yes sir.

We were told yesterday that the powers that be will not be in until Monday. These are the same people who told me (verbally) that we are good to go.

Once we get this verified we will request a simple e-mail confirmation and post its contents on our site.

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

Bill...you are correct...my post seems to have vanished...

basically, it said, that the person I want telling what H&NR I wear is an engineer, NOT a lawyer!!!

The day somebody on grid tells me..."Nope..can't go out until that Isaac is off" is the day the car gets turned around and a "For sale" sign placed on it, as I call every big wig I can find at HQ..

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]