Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 inch lap belts now legal ?

Default 2 inch lap belts now legal ?

I could swear I read that this was a "done deal" and that it would be approved for '05.

Schroth gave that special (2") sales pitch, errr, safety seminar to the SCCA which was bought hook, line and sinker I was told.

Now I can't find any reference to this new rule anywhere.

Are 2" FIA lap belts legal for '05 or not?
    If not I have some screaming to do at a certain Schroth distributor.

------------------
    Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport
    Volkswagen Racing Equipment

Bill,

Go to the Master Tech Bulletin section in the SCCA Garage section of the Scca.com site:

6. Effective 1/1/05, approved by the BoD in December: change GCR Section 20. to read as
    follows:
    20. DRIVER’S RESTRAINT SYSTEM
    All drivers in SCCA-sanctioned speed events shall utilize either a five, six or
    seven-point restraint harness meeting the following specifications. A seven-point
    restraint harness is recommended. Arm restraints are required on all open cars
    including open Targa tops, sunroofs and T-tops. The restraint system installation is
    subject to approval of the Chief Technical and Safety Inspector. (Note: SFI
    requirements for Driver’s Restraint System does not include arm restraints at this
    time. Window nets need not be dated.)
    1. A five-point system, for use in automobiles where the driver is seated in an
    upright position, consists of a three (3) inch seat belt, an approximately three (3)
    inch strap over-the-shoulder type of shoulder harness, and an approximately two
    (2) inch anti-submarine strap. A Five-point harness is considered a minimum
    restraint system. Six or seven-point systems are highly recommended in all cars
    including automobiles where the driver is seated in an upright position.
    2. A six or seven-point system, recommended for use in all automobiles where the
    driver is seated in a semi-reclining position, consists of a three (3) inch seat belt
    or an FIA approved two (2) inch seat belt, approximately a three (3) inch strap
    over-the-shoulder type of shoulder harness, and two approximately two (2) inch
    leg or anti-submarine straps. The seven-point system also has an approximately
    two (2) inch anti-submarine strap.
    3. The material of all straps shall be Nylon or Dacron polyester and in new or
    perfect condition. The buckles shall be of metal-to-metal quick-release type
    except in the case of leg straps of the six-point or seven-point systems where
    they attach to the seat belt or shoulder harness straps.
    4. The shoulder harness shall be the over-the-shoulder type. There shall be a single
    release common to the seat belt and shoulder harness. When mounting belts and
    harnesses it is recommended that they be kept as short as reasonably possible
    to minimize stretch when loaded in an accident.
    The shoulder harness shall be mounted behind the driver and supported above a
    line drawn downward from the shoulder point at an angle of twenty (20)
    degrees with the horizontal. The seat itself, or anything added only to the seat
    shall not be considered a suitable guide. Guides must be a part of the roll cage
    or a part of the car structure.
    Only separate shoulder straps are permitted. (“Y”-type shoulder straps are not
    allowed.) “H”-type configuration is allowed.
    5. The single anti-submarine strap of the five-point system shall be attached to the
    floor structure and have a metal-to-metal connection with the single release
    common to the seat belt and shoulder harness.
    6. The double leg straps of the six-point or seven-point system may be attached to
    the floor as above for the five-point system or be attached to the seat belt so
    that the driver sits on them, passing them up between his or her legs and
    attaching either to the single release common to the seat belt and shoulder
    harness or attaching to the shoulder harness straps. It is also permissible for the
    leg straps to be secured at a point common to the seat belt attachment to the
    structure, passing under the driver and up between his or her legs to the seat
    belt release or shoulder harness straps.
    All straps shall be free to run through intermediate loops or clamps/buckles.
    7. Each seat (lap) and shoulder belt of the harness (5, 6, or 7 points) shall have an
    individual mounting point (i.e. 2 for seat belt and 2 for shoulder belt minimum).
    Six or seven point system anti-submarine straps may share a mounting point
    with one or both seat (lap) belt(s). The minimum acceptable bolts used in the
    mounting of all belts and harnesses is SAE Grade 5. Where possible, seat belt,
    shoulder harness, and anti-submarine strap(s) should be mounted to the roll
    structure or frame of the car. Where this is not possible, large diameter
    mounting washers or equivalent should be used to spread the load. Bolting
    through aluminum floor panels, etc., is not acceptable.
    8. All driver restraint systems shall meet one of the following: SFI specification
    16.1, FIA specification 8853/1985 including amendment 1/92 or FIA
    specifications 8853/98 and 8854/98.
    A. Restraint systems meeting SFI 16.1 shall bear a dated 'SFI Spec 16.1' label.
    The certification indicated by this label shall expire on December 31st of the
    2nd year after the date of manufacture as indicated by the label.
    B. Restraint systems complying with FIA specification 8853/1985 including
    amendment 1/92 shall be no more than five (5) years old. (Not all
    manufacturers are dating every belt in a set. They may be dating one of a
    pair of shoulder or lap belts or may only be dating one belt in an entire set.
    Scrutineers are reminded that restraint systems need only one date label.)
    C. Restraint systems homologated to FIA specifications 8853/98 and 8854/98
    will not have a date of manufacture label. Instead they will have a label
    containing the Manufacturer's Name, Type of Harness Designation and Date
    of Expiration which is the last day of the year marked. All straps in this FIA
    restraint system will have these labels. FIA restraint systems with the
    certification 'D-####.T/98' are equal to FIA specifications 8853/98 and
    8854/98, and are therefore, acceptable restraint systems. FIA two-inch seat
    belts with the certification 8853/98 are acceptable restraint systems when
    used in conjunction with their corresponding FIA shoulder harness and antisubmarine
    straps.
    D. If a restraint system has more than one type of certification label, the label
    with the latest expiration may be used.
    9. Harness Threading: Assemble in accordance with manufacturers instructions.
    10. FIA certified 2-inch shoulder harnesses are allowed when the HANS® device is
    used by the driver. Should the driver, at anytime not utilize the HANS® device,
    then 3-inch shoulder harnesses are required. The replacement cycle for the 2-
    inch harnesses shall be per GCR Section 20.8.

Dave Z

[This message has been edited by Dave Zaslow (edited March 03, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Dave Zaslow (edited March 03, 2005).]

"or an FIA approved two (2) inch seat belt"

Did you even read what you posted?

edit: Schroth are FIA approved
    ------------------
    Jeremy Lucas
    Team Honda Research
    Kumho - Cobalt - Comptech

[This message has been edited by jlucas (edited March 02, 2005).]

That's what I thought. Cool.

So how much you wanna bet I get in a fight with the annual tech guy anyway? I just know it. I'd better print that out and paste it to the roof of my car.

1. A five-point system, for use in automobiles where >>>>the driver is seated in an
    upright position,<<<< consists of a three (3) inch seat belt, an approximately three (3)
    (2) inch anti-submarine strap.

2. A six or seven-point system, recommended for use in all automobiles where >>>>the
    driver is seated in a semi-reclining position,<<<< consists of a three (3) inch seat belt
    or an FIA approved two (2) inch seat belt, approximately a three (3) inch strap
    over-the-shoulder type of shoulder harness, and two approximately two (2) inch
    leg or anti-submarine straps.

Bill, is your driver position upright or semi-reclining ? The two inch FIA seatbelt is ONLY for the semi-reclining position.

Have Fun
    David

David - "Recommended". Otherwise, you wouldn't be allowed to use 6-point belts in an upright seating position, which we know is false.

1. A five-point system, for use in automobiles where the driver is seated in an
    upright position, consists of a three (3) inch seat belt, an approximately three (3)
    (2) inch anti-submarine strap. A Five-point harness is considered a minimum
    restraint system. >>>>Six or seven-point systems are highly recommended in all cars
    including automobiles where the driver is seated in an upright position.<<<<

Bryan, from above >>>>Six or seven-point systems are highly recommended in all cars
    including automobiles where the driver is seated in an upright position.<<<<.

As I read the rule an FIA approved two (2) inch seat belt can be used ONLY when the driver is in a semi-reclining position. I don't know if Bill is talking about the driver in upright position or a semi-reclined position.

Have Fun
    David

To me, THIS passage defines what a 6 or 7 point belt system is and recommends that it be used in all situations where the driver is semi-reclined or reclined:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">2. A six or seven-point system, recommended for use in all automobiles where the driver is seated in a semi-reclining position, consists of a three (3) inch seat belt or an FIA approved two (2) inch seat belt, approximately a three (3) inch strap over-the-shoulder type of shoulder harness, and two approximately two (2) inch leg or anti-submarine straps.</font>
    And THIS passage recommends the use of a 6 or 7 point belt system in ALL cars:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Six or seven-point systems are highly recommended in all cars including automobiles where the driver is seated in an upright position.</font>
    So, a 6-point system can be defined as a system with FIA 2-inch lap belts, and such a system is recommended for use in all cars, BUT a 5-point system is acceptable in an upright driving situation even if a 6-point is recommended.

You are misreading the rule. The rules says that you CAN use a 6-point system in an upright position and goes on to define such a system in #2. The rules says that you CAN use a 5-point system in an upright position, but recommends a 6-point. What the rules DOES say is that you cannot have a 5-point system with 2-inch FIA lapbelts.

[This message has been edited by Bryan Watts (edited March 03, 2005).]

>> Bill, is your driver position upright or semi-reclining ?

Well I'm tall and my seat is therefore tilted back at a pretty decent angle to get my "knees "up" giving me more leg room and to get my shoulders back against the main hoop cross bar. So yes it's semi-reclining but isn't this just like our rules to be vague?

They shoud define "semi" as a minimum angle from horizontal for the seat or from vertical for the seat back.... grrrrr

So now I'm definately getting in a fight with the tech inspectors. Time to call Topeka...

------------------
    Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport
    Volkswagen Racing Equipment

--rant mode on--
    Oh for chrissake guys. The seating position has NOTHING to do with a two inch lap belt being legal.

2. A six or seven-point system, recommended for use in all automobiles where the driver is seated in a semi-reclining position, consists of a three (3) inch seat belt or an FIA approved two (2) inch seat belt, approximately a three (3) inch strap
    over-the-shoulder type of shoulder harness, and two approximately two (2) inch leg or anti-submarine straps. The seven-point system also has an approximately two (2) inch anti-submarine strap.

The phrase "recommended for use in all automobiles where the driver is seated in a semi-reclining position" is NOT part of the definition.

I understand the difficulties in crafting rules, but sheesh, how about looking at this from a wholistic view? I have a couple guys in my club who feel the need to interpret every rule every which way. There is NO EARTHLY REASON to discriminate by seating position in this case.

--rant mode off--

OK, now that I got that out... I think clarification is in order, because obviously there are some who will interpret this rule in very different ways. I'm sure whatever Tech guy you get will be the opposite of what you thought too...

------------------
    Matt Green
    "Ain't nothin' improved about Improved Touring..."

Bryan & Matt, I could realy care less what the two of you use for your restraints. I use Simpson 3 inch Cam-lock seat belt/over the shoulder. Please look at the following words & tell me what width strap you would use when the word "approximately" is used.

***an approximately three (3)
    inch strap over-the-shoulder type of shoulder harness,***

If the tech inspector thinks "approximately three (3) inch" has a width tolerance of plus or minus 1/4 inch & you show up with a two & one half (2 1/2) inch strap over the shoulder because your thought is that that the width tolerance is plus or minus one half (1/2) inch. Who do you think wins that battle. It don't say SHALL & there is no width tolerance.

Be Safe
    David

Well, according the January Fastrack as of 01/01/06 the universally applied tolerance system for all unspecified tolerance will be

For these specifications, the tolerance shall
    be equivalent to ˝ of the final digit of the
    specification (e.g. .01" tolerance equals +/-
    .005").

That would mean that a 3" specfication would have a tolerance of + or - .5". Of course I don't think for a minute that argument is going to hold up. Technically legal or not, compromising safety over a trivial rules interpretation is just ridiculous.

------------------
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Shelby Charger
    MARRS #96

***That would mean that a 3" specfication would have a tolerance of + or - .5".***

***For these specifications, the tolerance shall be equivalent to ˝ of the final digit of the specification (e.g. .01" tolerance equals +/- .005").***

Matt, help me out with your math. How did you use the 2006 rule stated above & arrive at your answer of +/- .5 inch for a 3 inch belt. Talk about ridiculous.

The final digit of the specification is 3" & 1/2 of 3" is 1 1/2". +/- 1 1/2" would be the tolerance of the 3" belt specification.

Ya dam right it's ridiculous but you are the guy who posted the tolerance rule.

Have Fun
    David

ps: Back to my original question, how wide is an
    "approximately three (3) inch" wide belt. With your stated rule above the belt width could be anywhere from 1 1/2" wide to 4 1/2' wide.

OK stop the personal off topic bickering...

So what is the final verdict? Are 2" lap belts on brand new Schroth Profi FIA certified belts most likely legal in a touring car or not?

- Bill

Originally posted by ddewhurst:

Matt, help me out with your math. How did you use the 2006 rule stated above & arrive at your answer of +/- .5 inch for a 3 inch belt. Talk about ridiculous.

The final digit of the specification is 3" & 1/2 of 3" is 1 1/2". +/- 1 1/2" would be the tolerance of the 3" belt specification.

[/B]
    My read on that rule (based on drafting standards) is they are referring to the position of the final digit not it's value. Therefore a 3", 5" or 1" number are all given a tolerance based on being a multiple of a whole inch. Take that number a divide by half and you get a half inch. Again, the rule is not clear but that is the accepted procedure when dealign with drafting standards for every print I have had to work from.

Ya dam right it's ridiculous but you are the guy who posted the tolerance rule.

[/B]
    I posted it, but I didn't write so don't blame me. You claimed there was no rule regarding the tolerance, I just wanted to clarify that as of 2006 there is a rule. Even with the short certification life of a belt the rule will still apply to belts purchased today.

Oh, and Bill, given that some national has published recommendations that a 6 or 7 point be used in all cars. It would be safe to say a 6 pt FIA belt with a 2" lap belt would be acceptable, if not preferred.

------------------
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Shelby Charger
    MARRS #96

***For these specifications, the tolerance shall be equivalent to ˝ of the final digit of the specification (e.g. .01" tolerance equals +/-
    .005").***

Final digit of specification: .01 x .5 = .005

Final digit of specification: 3 x .5 = 1.5

Final digit of specification: 3.0 x .5 = 1.5

The stated rule above specifices nothing about any drafting rule. & I will not comment about your drafting rule. The above rule you specified has NOTHING to do with drivers restraint system tolerances.....

David

ps: The rule including the 2005 GCR specification recomended 3 inch seat belt & shoulder strap. The 2006 GCR Fastrack rule recomends 3 inch seat belt or a FIA 2 inch seat belt for semi-reclining. Ya can't be wrong with 3 inch belt & 3 inch shoulder strap.

The above rule you specified has NOTHING to do with drivers restraint system tolerances.....
    The new rule would be the tolerance specification for any item with an unspecified tolerance. Nowhere does the GCR reference a tolerance for belt dimensions. Therefore the new rules applies to belt dimensions. I'm sure it's not what was intended but you know what intent is.

As for the tolerancing issue, it's obvious you don't understand the point, so I'll let it drop.

------------------
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Shelby Charger
    MARRS #96

Originally posted by Bildon:
    So what is the final verdict? Are 2" lap belts on brand new Schroth Profi FIA certified belts most likely legal in a touring car or not?
    Yes, in my opinion, absolutely.

Totally legal, even without resorting to tolerance math.

K

I think all of our tolerance is being examined here...

------------------
    Matt Green
    "Ain't nothin' improved about Improved Touring..."