Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: OT - '99+ Miatas Approved for SM, [i][b]effective 3/1/05!![i

Originally posted by badal:

Al and Others,
    I'm really going to be smacked for this, but the discussion has been opened and I'm going to throw in.
    Given DC Region has run a pretty good show for years, but in the area of efficient implementation of a schedule we sometimes leave a great deal to be desired.

We have for the past few years been subject to some rather strange group mixes due to a desire to limit the number of race groups without it seems to me giving attention to "pushing the schedule along." For example NCR at VIR runs in excess of 12 sessions a day of very large race groups and manages to finish by 5:00 PM. We appear to have a problem at Summit squeezing in the 9 groups. Mainly because of delays between sessions and a rather relaxed attitude about getting cars "on track."

Perhaps if we did away with some of the ride arounds during lunch and a few social events, we might get everyone racing in appropriate groups. Businesses that fail to pay attention to efficiency in the face of increased sales eventually "straightline" or fall to the competition.

Now don't anyone accuse me of not wanting to be "charitable," I'm all in favor of helping the communities that put up with us, but we are afterall in the "business" of racing. There's plenty of time outside the racetrack for helping the less fortunate.

GRJ

However well intentioned the schedule, unforseen events occur that result in delays - knowing the EV folks personally, I don't believe that they're lacksidasical about clean up between groups. And you can't blame them for that since that's usually the fault of poor prep or unfortunate (or stupid) driving. On-track is quite timely - no sitting around twiddling thumbs unless there's clean-up required.

Bear in mind that the workers are all volunteers and they are currently "at capacity" for race groups regardless of ride arounds and post-event parties. While participation in some race classes has been slowly dwindling, worker participation has been plummeting. In fact for the past few years, the BOD has been trying to develop a recruitment program to provide new bodies and to keep the existing bodies from quitting/retiring from sheer frustration.

Racing cannot be run like a business - at least not on the front end b/c it's not that stable nor does racing fit cleanly into a business model. The back end is a different story - Get the Money, Get the Money, Get the Money...

Thinking about Mike's proposal - this may be the golden opportunity to turn former wings racers (who can only race 5 events/year) into workers for the rest of the season

Originally posted by mgyip:
    However well intentioned the schedule, unforseen events occur that result in delays - knowing the EV folks personally, I don't believe that they're lacksidasical about clean up between groups. )
    I appreciate what you are saying. And I have nothing but gratitude and respect for what the EV folks do. However, I don't believe Summit MARRS races experience anymore off-track, clean-up time events than do the regionals at VIR. They are on the same 24 hours we are, and they run qualifying and races on the same day that total 3-4 more sessions than we get at Summit. Somthing is causing a waste of time somewhere.

And then there have been those weekends at Summit when we do finish at 4:00 (on quite a few occasions). And I wonder then why we could not have enjoyed a few more sessions(i.e., race groups.) As far as numbers of workers dwindling, I have always thought (since my own participation on the corners in the '70s and '80s) if you make the volunteers feel welcome and important (as they are), they will come.

GRJ

[This message has been edited by grjones1 (edited March 01, 2005).]