Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - '99+ Miatas Approved for SM, [i][b]effective 3/1/05!![i

Default OT - '99+ Miatas Approved for SM, [i][b]effective 3/1/05!![i

Life just got more difficult for Spec Miata drivers. Bet we see a whole bunch more in Improved Touring! Note that the CRB approved this only a few weeks after requesting membership input!!!

http://www.scca.com/News/News.asp?Ref=238

SCCA Board Approves Late Model Miatas for Spec Miata Class
    By Eric Prill

Miatas from 1999 and newer are now eligible to run in the Spec Miata class. (Mark Weber Photo)

TOPEKA, Kan. (February 22, 2005) – Sports Car Club of America announced today that its Club Racing Board approved the inclusion of 1999 and newer Mazda Miatas into its SCCA Club Racing Spec Miata class, effective March 1, 2005.

The approval adds the newer body-style Mazda Miatas into the class that previously included only the original body style (1990-1997) Miata, but with two different engine displacements (1.6L and 1.8L).

Like the first-generation car, Mazdaspeed has developed a suspension kit for the newer cars, including shocks, springs and sway bars. As with the two different engines in the first-generation Miata, air restriction and weight will be utilized to achieve parity between the cars. Miatas of years 1999-2005 must weight 2500 lbs with a 41 mm air restrictor installed.

The inclusion follows the move by SCCA’s Mazdaspeed Miata Cup Presented by Hankook pro series, which allowed the cars in for its 2005 season.

The Club Racing Spec Miata class will begin National competition in 2006, with the top drivers competing at the SCCA Runoffs® for the category’s first-ever National Championship.

Note: The Technical Bulletin regarding the newer Miatas’ introduction can be found at www.scca.com in the “SCCA Garage” section, or by clicking the link below. The bulletin will also appear in the April edition of FasTrack.

Yes, I believe it did. I run in SSM, but frankly, I think the way this happened and how quickly is an absolute crock of sh*t.

The guys like Jim Daniels, Sunbelt, and the guys selling $450 exhaust systems must be happy. Of course, these are the guys who are saying that the SCCA has speced the newer cars to be underdogs and that you won't need a newer car to be competitive. Riiigghht.

All I can say is thank goodness for SSM. I think this decision by the SCCA has ensured that SSM will remain a regional class after 2005. I think you'll see a lot of guys shift to either ITA or SSM in response.

Anybody who thought that SM going Nat'l wouldn't involve changes like this must be low on oxygen.

While I'm an SSM guy, I don't see the new cars as a threat to the older 1.6 and 1.8 cars. 'Corpulent' and 'wheezing' comes to mind...the 99+'s will be at 2500lbs. and be sucking thru a 41mm restrictor. Sounds underdogish to me.

I still don't 'get' how this is a bad thing. But then...I'm really an SRF guy at heart.

I had a feeling things would head this way regardless of National class status. When SM started heading in the direction of open intakes and exhausts, I jumped with both feet into SSM.

I think National class designation for '06 has only hastened the inclusion of the newer cars.

As for the competitiveness of the new cars, we'll have to see. I'm sure we'll see some this season. It will probably take them a while to sort it out, but my hunch is they will be the dominant car, even without an adjustment to the weight or restrictor. I have heard that the specs will allow them to run either the 5- or 6-speed transmission models, and models with different rear-end ratios.

The inclusion of the newer cars was inevitable and not necessarily a bad thing. I don't like the way it was done. I think the SCCA made a bad decision to include the newer cars with less than a month's notice, and without running them in Pro for a year to establish the baseline spec to ensure the competitiveness of all cars.

Geezus...from reading the posts over at SpecMiata.com you'd think they added the New Beetle or something.

------------------
    Gregg Ginsberg
    http://www.ginsberg.org
    '89 CRX Si -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003

I read portions of that New Beetle thread.

Good analogy.

THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!
    I think the proper Simpson's quote would be from Nelson Muntz is "HA HA"

I guess that everything is not as perfect in Spec Miata land as the residents thereof want us all to think.

Will there be a mass exodus "back" to IT?
    cheers
    dave parker
    wdcr ITC#97

Excuse me for asking.... but why is it such a big deal to allow Miata's in spec MIATA??

[This message has been edited by Jon Nelson (edited February 23, 2005).]

Originally posted by Gregg:
    Geezus...from reading the posts over at SpecMiata.com you'd think they added the New Beetle or something.
    Just remember that Spec Miata IS THE SALVATION OF SCCA (at least according to the Spec Miata class reps locally) and by such offensive classification, the horde of Wreck Me Otters to go play with NASA to "punish" SCCA for their actions (which wouldn't hurt my feelings too much considering the SM attitude towards all other race classes other than themselves).

Given the weight and restrictions, the later model Miatas sound as if they'll be competitive but not necessarily immediate class winners. However nothing is written in stone and it's unlikely that SCCA is attempting to alienate the existing SM class but rather is attempting to include the newer cars which is very unlike the SCCA of old.

I'm not sure that I'm looking forward to an influx of ITA Miatas - not that I don't welcome the added participation but that it'll just make my car all the slower I haven't had a chance to test Miata brake pads yet - hopefully they're as good as (if not better than) RX7 brake pads

It amazes me the lack of class some of you people have.

Originally posted by apr67:
    It amazes me the lack of class some of you people have.
    HA!!! Just wait until the "Motorsport Messiah of Miami" weighs in on this issue, either here or at SpecPińata.com. He's promised a run for the SCCA BOD on previous crusades -

"posted 02-03-2005 03:32PM
    As a result I am going to run for the BoD and although I'm pretty sure they'll kick me out if I win, I've been told by enough people to shit or get off the pot."

but this is a way-better windmill for him. That should bring some real 'lack' to this class.

[This message has been edited by JohnRW (edited February 23, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by JohnRW (edited February 23, 2005).]

My point is, don't put down another class. We are all looking for the same thing. As much racing fun as we can get, for as little racing funds as we can spend.

Besides, if you really want to rip on people, those GT guys are just big woosies.

[This message has been edited by apr67 (edited February 23, 2005).]

John, you are right.

Matt is a real Pain in the A##.

Originally posted by apr67:
    My point is, don't put down another class. We are all looking for the same thing. As much racing fun as we can get, for as little racing funds as we can spend.
    I couldn't agree with that statement any more but when a class comes on-board, claiming to be the salvation of a club that didn't need saving, then I start to wonder about their motivation. When the same class starts dictating what the club MUST do in order to accomodate them, it becomes clear that the intention is to force out the "lesser and unimportant classes such as Production, Wings, GT, IT and every other class that needs to go in order to accomodate their cars. Since the club is about racing for EVERYONE, there is no good nor simple solution but banishing every car that isn't Spec Miata is downright foolhardy and stupid. Either that or they can start the MCCA (Miata Car Club of America) and let them crash their cars to wreckless abandon.

We all heard this when Spec Wrecker (RX7) was formulated but they didn't dictate their demands - rather they stated that the class would grow to epic proportions. While Spec Wrecker did grow, it was a short burst and their numbers have diminished to the point where they no longer warrant their own race group in the DC region.

I know at the very least SCCA did testing with Dave Roush running different restrictors to see the effect on lap times so that they could place the newer cars fairly. IIRC, they were trying to start the newer cars out slower than current.

------------------
    Jeremy Lucas
    Team Honda Research
    Kumho - Cobalt - Comptech

Originally posted by mgyip:
    I couldn't agree with that statement any more but when a class comes on-board, claiming to be the salvation of a club that didn't need saving, then I start to wonder about their motivation. When the same class starts dictating what the club MUST do in order to accomodate them, it becomes clear that the intention is to force out the "lesser and unimportant classes such as Production, Wings, GT, IT and every other class that needs to go in order to accomodate their cars. Since the club is about racing for EVERYONE, there is no good nor simple solution but banishing every car that isn't Spec Miata is downright foolhardy and stupid. Either that or they can start the MCCA (Miata Car Club of America) and let them crash their cars to wreckless abandon.

We all heard this when Spec Wrecker (RX7) was formulated but they didn't dictate their demands - rather they stated that the class would grow to epic proportions. While Spec Wrecker did grow, it was a short burst and their numbers have diminished to the point where they no longer warrant their own race group in the DC region.

How does a class claim anything?

Anyway, if "they" make demands, and "the club" doesn't want to accept them, then "they" can go wherever they want. No harm, no foul.
    What's the big deal?

I'm sure that if there were 50 GT-2 cars at every race, the GT-2 racers would be making the same "demands", etc.

------------------
    Ony Anglade
    ITA Miata
    Sugar Hill, GA

Originally posted by jlucas:
    I know at the very least SCCA did testing with Dave Roush running different restrictors to see the effect on lap times so that they could place the newer cars fairly. IIRC, they were trying to start the newer cars out slower than current.

At how many tracks?

------------------
    Ony Anglade
    ITA Miata
    Sugar Hill, GA

Originally posted by oanglade:

How does a class claim anything?

Anyway, if "they" make demands, and "the club" doesn't want to accept them, then "they" can go wherever they want. No harm, no foul.
    What's the big deal?
    In the DC Region, SM is busy telling the BOD that 1) it wants greater represenation on the Competition Commitee b/c they bring so many cars (currently each class has a representative that sits on a Competition Commitee); 2) the DC Region MUST make room for as many SMs as may register for an event at the cost of turning away competitors in other classes.

One SM pilot went so far as to tell me that if the DC Region didn't meet their "demands" that they'd pack up, race with NASA, and our pathetic little club (SCCA) would "dry up and go bankrupt". IMHO that's pretty bold talk for anyone, let alone a race class that is supposed to be part of the "whole". SM certainly has sparked a huge re-interest in SCCA but my concern is "at what cost".

Originally posted by oanglade:
    At how many tracks?
    Not sure if anywhere besides MidOhio.

------------------
    Jeremy Lucas
    Team Honda Research
    Kumho - Cobalt - Comptech

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I still don't 'get' how this is a bad thing. But then...I'm really an SRF guy at heart.</font>
    John, I have no problem with the "what" happened. I think it's an OK thing and everyone knew it was inevitable. Plus, I think the performance numbers will work out, and this is coming from someone who's currently building one of the little M1 bastards (a '94).

It's the "how" I have a big problem with. Ram-rodded through, a couple of months after request for member feedback? This, after we've been screaming for YEARS for attention to re-org IT? It just kinda feels like we got "violated", like the prom date that trusted the boyfriend...I really thought things were going to be different.

Dudn't matter. We'll get over it.